1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Has ESPN Made It More Difficult For Rockets To Attract Free Agents?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 25, 2016.

?

Has ESPN Made It More Difficult For Rockets To Attract Free Agents?

1. ESPNs Crusade against the Rockets affects Free Agents desire to play in Houston

44.4%
  2. OP is hypersensitive, ESPN has no affect on a Free Agents desire to play in Houston

30.5%
  3. ESPN does have an anti Rockets agenda but it does not affect free agents

25.1%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Whether perceptions about Rockets are due to internal or external factors makes no never mind. Instead of focusing on the finger pointing, focus on the solutions. How does Houston change this negative perception, need to establish a positive and complementary CULTURE to go along with their vision. A great work atmosphere will make Houston a much more desirable destination.

D'Antoni is actually a good start. Players, especially Euros, love playing fast paced up tempo offensive line style that will boost their stock for next contract as well as their brand.

Morey needs to do more to emphasize the uniqueness and benefits of playing for THE Houston Rockets. Start applying love of analytics and adopting trends from the best companies in other industries.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your right, we got Dwight but ESPN was doing everything in their power to direct him to GS, LAL or DAL. And specifically to my point it seems like their bias has escalated since we stole Dwight from the Lakers.

3. alethios

alethios Member

I hate the way they are body-shaming James Harden...oh wait, that's CF doing that.

**** ESPN!

4. crash5179

I'm not really making that claim but I am asking the question.

But It does stand to reason that no one wants to be bashed or have their reputation smeared in the media and it can't be denied that ESPN has done that to the Rockets and their star players pretty consistently since the Dwight signing.

5. crash5179

Really? More relentless than LAL or NY or MIA or DAL? really?

6. crash5179

So here is a question, does anyone think that ESPN will continue with its consistent Dwight bashing on whatever other team he goes to? Does the constant Rockets bashing slow down now that Dwight is gone?

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Don't blame ESPN. The Rockets put themselves in this situation. They've done a horrible job of drafting. They treat players like assets. They hired a washed up coach. They've barely had any postseason success in nearly 2 decades. I'd say those factors are a lot more relevant as to why free agents don't wanna sign here as opposed to what some moron on ESPN is sayin.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Riiight! Because under Les and Morey they've won SO many championships that everyone at ESPN have become jealous haters. Oh wait... :rolleyes:

9. Play07

Play07 Member

Cuban is a billionaire, has won a ring and is a OWNER, also has a good coach and doesn't get involved in how his team should run their

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why, again, are you a Rockets fan?

Are you a Rockets fan....at all?

11. crash5179

How is that different than the Clippers?

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Two letters: L and A. Why do you think the Lakers are still an attractive destination despite being run horribly by the Buss kids the last few years? The allure of playing in Hollywood and living in Southern California.

And BTW, the Clippers have not been as bad of an organization as the Rockets the last few years. Had it not been for horrible injury luck this past postseason, they would've easily made the 2nd round. And with Curry's injury, the Warriors were no guarantee to win that series(certainly not as easily as they knocked off Portland).

Doc's real problem as their GM has been his inability to put together a decent bench. But he's got a terrific starting unit there and with the cap skyrocketing this summer, he'll at least have the money now to get a few quality role players. Whether or not he manages to do so remains to be seen.

13. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

No...

Les, Morey, have made it difficult.
    They deserve all the blame.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The "group think" mentality does effect the way people perceive the Rockets. Look no further than Harden not making any of the all nba teams for an example of this.

My father in law was telling me James Harden is a ball hog and that's why no one wants to play with him(a common media talking point)and I said - he averaged more assists than Lebron and Curry this year which shocked him...then I pulled up their stats and explained that no one on the Rockets can even dribble a ball reliably(talking about you Ariza and Brewer)...

15. caneks

caneks Rookie

This is similar to Morey's claim that other teams painted the Houston Rockets in a negative light.

lol.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

You can try to place the blame elsewhere... but I place it squarely at the feet of our organization...

This organization has become a joke based on its own actions and inactions.

ESPN doesn't help... but it ain't the root of our problems...

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

His posts in this thread were so predictable. The rockets front office is terrible, end of story, won't accept any argument.

I don't think ESPN or any national media has any relevance to free agency. Or at least a very small percent to a small percent of players.

That said, there is an extremely obvious bias to hate Harden and Houston in the media. You'd have to be stupid to not see it. It doesn't effect the franchise but it's there.

But players talk to players and Harden personally is very highly thought of, as he should be. I'm not sure where the franchise stands but players respect Harden despite what the media wants people to think of him.

18. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

ESPN is no longer relevant regarding sports.

19. crash5179

I disagree the the bolded underlined portion of your statement. They implode every season including last season when we knocked them out of the 2nd round. And they draft worse than most teams including Houston for sure.

20. caneks

caneks Rookie

I think they still have two allstars in their team from their drafts. Not many teams could do that.
    Their major problem is Doc Rivers.