1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has ESPN Made It More Difficult For Rockets To Attract Free Agents?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 25, 2016.

?

Has ESPN Made It More Difficult For Rockets To Attract Free Agents?

1. ESPNs Crusade against the Rockets affects Free Agents desire to play in Houston

44.4%
  2. OP is hypersensitive, ESPN has no affect on a Free Agents desire to play in Houston

30.5%
  3. ESPN does have an anti Rockets agenda but it does not affect free agents

25.1%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You say if the team starts winning then all will be forgotten but the team has been winning. They had 3 straight seasons with 50+ wins and a trip to the WCF and that didn't seen to prevent the ESPN criticism.

Additionally why doesn't teams like the Clippers and Mavs get the same type of treatment? Clipps have what should be one of the best cores in the league and yet they implied every single season. The Mavs have done some pretty ridiculous stuff themselves over the years including last off-seasons debacle but they get nothing close to the criticism that the Rockets get. Why is that?

1 person likes this.
  2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would argue that point.

Mark Cuban holds that title by a good margin.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Barkley is where I draw the line, and that does hurt us imo. He uses old grudges to hate on the current rockets, affecting their reputation on one of the biggest platforms for basketball.

The rest...well the rockets have basically been the Kings this season.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think it has a lot to do with ESPN Dallas and Mark Cuban tbh...the Dallas market has a lot more sway in ESPN than the Houston market.

What then happens is that they have a lot more Dallas journalists who probably are biased against or just plain don't like Houston teams.

I don't think ESPN has this big bad agenda to hold Houston down for some reason. There are some journalists like Michael Smith from His & Hers that seems to like Houston teams...but then they have so many Dallas employees that it just comes out.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think that the perception comes from the players & coaches around the league and Le$ and Morey have not been player friendly management, and the firing of coach McHale (though I hated him) did not help either.

They made their bed, they have to lay in it.

I hate the victimization attitude, own it, change it......don't blame anyone else.

DD

6. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

I think the Rockets organization make it hard for the Rockets to attract free agents. ESPN has nothing to do with it.

7. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Didn't hurt us when Dwight was a FA.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Was that it? The Howard signing?

I was just asking myself that: Was it the Harden signing? Howard trade? Both? Media certainly didn't target Morey, McGrady & Yao during those days. (Maybe they did and I forgot.) Then they were the "lovable losers" who played hard but were missing that star player. Then they got Harden and then Dwight.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You reap what you sow

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I thought I heard every excuse Rockets fans could come up with to defend this front offices dismal record in free agency but I guess I was wrong.

2 people like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Last season was anomaly, but some think it was indicative of everything the Rockets are.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not for lack of trying.....

13. dmoneybangbang

Dismal record? Relative who?

14. dmoneybangbang

Right? I'm not sure what Rockets team other folks have been watching. The Clippers and Thunder have been more disappointing.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

LOL....

You're delusional if you think actual NBA players are easily influenced by some talking heads on ESPN or random sports reporters.

You really think multi-millionaire professional athletes making double digit million dollars a year, care about what the Brian Windhorsts of the world, probably making 100K a year, trying to make his bread crumbs for a living, say infront of the TV?????

I think millionaire professional athletes in general are not as weakminded, easily influenced, and victim mentality as the "ESPN Hates us" emo crowd here.

#35 krnxsnoopy, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  16. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

They sure did but my point was, ESPN doesn't have as much impact as people on this forum think. Even though the media kept pushing Dwight to LA till last moment, it didn't work out because we were a team that played hard and overachieved with a rising Superstar. This time around we are a team full lazy players that dont play any defense and tremendously underachieved. And THAT is the reason why no FA might consider coming here. Not ESPN.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Relative to the time they waste chasing stars. This front office is the most relentless in the NBA when it comes to chasing stars.

Photoshopping players with a championship throphy in your own locker room? That's some cringey ass crap.

18. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

That certainly was it. Remember how entire ESPN crew was riding Kobe's jock and kept pushing for Dwight to resign with the Lakers. Remember how mad SAS and others got when Nelly called Kobe out. Thats when media completely turned on Dwight and Rockets.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know that it won't have as much impact as it will on ignorant fans, but I do think that there is some impact...I mean, you are parroting some of those narratives they push as we speak.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

This. The media has it in for Dwight because he's seen as being a duplicitous, fake "good guy." He's been damaged goods, reputation-wise, since the Van Gundy incident in Orlando.

Also the Khloe thing. Not that I believe in a curse, but our star player was temporarily a part of a family that invites media scorn on a magnitude rarely seen. After James hooked up with her, they just started piling on the Rockets.