1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone ever paid for an essay?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Mar 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Best advice on this thread.

2. Buck Turgidson

A little over 30 minutes to get the obvious joke in, not bad at all.

Could have also gone with something about Home Depot.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

quit being a baby

4. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I payed for proofreading.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This sort of market shouldn't exist. You pay good money to a school to give you an education, and then pay again to cheat yourself by not doing the work required. You rationalize that what you're really paying for is the degree that'l get you the job. But, honestly the degree is a depreciating asset -- once you're in the job, employers care about your skills, your knowledge, your intelligence, your energy, and your work ethic. Things you don't get by cheating yourself in school. If you can't buckle down in school, why would you be able to buckle down in the office?

I wrote all my own essays, but I was in the same boat, wringing my hands about the seeming enormity of the projects. Now I can look back and laugh at how small the projects really were and how pathetic my work ethic was. If I went back to college today, I would absolutely clean up.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wrote all my own essays, but I did once pay for the answers to an exam for which the answers were short essays.

Basically: class was in a large auditorium. In front of the doors leading into the auditorium a dude was standing there saying he had all the answers and was selling them for $5. I thought wtf, that's weird, because he wasn't trying to be secretive about it at all. And people in my class were lining up to buy the answers, also not being secretive.

Still, I normally would have abstained, but this test (our first grade of the entire semester, which occured the DAY AFTER the last day to drop the class) was worth 2/3 of our course grade (the final, the only other grade, was worth 1/3). And that professor had a tendency to rant and ramble all class long, so my notes throughout the dozens of classes I had attended were worthless. He had no notes, slides, or books for us to read. It was just him up there seemingly talking about whatever crossed his mind that had to do with polisci. When asked what would be on our test, he would just answer something like "Anything I've ever mentioned in here is fair game."

So, I figured, why the hell not.

Long(er) story short(er): the girl sitting next to me in class saw me and ratted me out to the prof after yelling at me loudly in front of everyone for cheating. I started ****ting bricks, thinking I would be expelled. But the professor, for whatever reason, didn't give a F. I got an A and all's well.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Folx cheat on the 'non essential' things

Engineers see little effect in cheating in a Poetry Class
    English Majors could care less about cheating in Algebra class
    etc

Rocket River

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The thing about cheating esp in college is the *****ing Curve

10 people in the class -3 cheat for A's
    Well that is the alotment for the Curve so someone who WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN A without cheating is now pushed down to a B.

pretty generic example but it happens
    Cheaters survive and thrive alot in school and society

Rocket River

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I once paid a friend to write an ethics (philosophy) research paper for me, not realizing that he was a terrible writer. He constantly bragged about his writing skill and the type to rant on philosophical topics. He didn't finish it until 24 hours before the deadline and I spent those hours rewriting the paper. It would have taken me less than 24 hours to write the damned thing from scratch but I felt like I had to make some use out of it. I learned my lesson.

I've been accused one other time of plagiarism. My professor essentially told the entire class that I'd plagiarized and asked me to stay after class to discuss it. When he showed me the turnitin.com report, it was clear that I'd submitted the same paper twice within 5 minutes and the website didn't realize I was "plagiarizing" myself. There was somehow only a 99% match between my paper and... itself.

If you are writing a paper on a topic that has been widely discussed it is pretty easy to at least use someone's ideas as a jumping board. You have to get good at combining research (not to the level of plagiarism) with your own ideas. Being creative and original is near impossible with most college prompts.

As far as actually cheating--I cheated on some online quizzes for a class as an undergraduate. Everyone in the class cheated. The quizzes were fill-in-the-blanks with answers that made no sense. The question would be something like: "Behaviorism is a psychological movement that can be contrasted with _____." Lots of the answers were linking verbs and not actually psychological terms. Half of the class got caught cheating for figuring out how to stop the timer. The students who did not stop the timer but still cheated got away with it.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Apparently, not enough.

1 person likes this.
  11. bobrek

Irony

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What kind of BS grad school wouldn't catch this? All we do is read, write and discuss in grad school. With a class median size of 9 people, all the professors know our writing styles very well. To get away with it, you'd basically have to be cheating from the start, using someone very knowledgeable in your field.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Univ of Phoenix PhD program.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The professors cheat too. The grade never meant anything at all.

/shyamalan'd

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This example doesn't fit. Your friend is a doctor, not a business person. That's why I specifically placed conditions on the advice. If your friend was going to become a real estate broker, that would have been a great way to get there.

I honestly never cheated a day in my life, never even helped a person cheat neither in high school or college or during my masters. I don't believe in it, and I think it leads to exactly the kind of crap you describe in your post. I am somewhat altruistic but the difference with me is I don't mind failing as a consequence of altruism. However, if financial success is someone's bottom line, then it's impossible to argue with what I wrote. All the top execs in capitalistic-ish markets are master cheaters who know how to avoid getting caught or tip-toe around the rules to make mucho dineros for shareholders.

OTOH I don't believe that academia has much benefit at all anymore for this generation, which is why I said that if OP wants to learn about the subject of the essay he should pay someone to do the essay while he actually learns about the subject. Learning something with the purpose of answering a specific academic question has limited educational benefits and can limit what natural motivation you have for the topic.

I coincidentally found my college political science essays this morning in my inbox. My lord. If academia was worth anything at all, I would have been elbow deep in that course given my natural obsession with learning about history, society and politics. Instead they had just adopted American-style curriculum rendering the whole thing so boring and irrelevant to me that I was writing these essays just before deadlines in order to pass the damn course while accepting a 0% on attendance and pop quizzes. I'm looking at those slides now and recognizing so many people and topics that are so fascinating but I wouldn't care one bit within the context of the curriculum, nor would reading that material have informed me about the best parts.

Education happens outside academia. You can fail a course but understand the subject better than most of those who passed. And that's a regular occurrence in schools IMO. Academia almost entirely just prepares you to be someone else's obedient employee or subject. That's why academic achievement gets you further in autocratic structures like dictatorships and corporations. Not doing your school work has nothing to do with your education or your ability to create value in the world or your manners or your commitment to doing something of value. Also, sometimes students are just burnt out and need a break. It's better than binge drinking or taking hard drugs to get through the unnecessary stress.

16. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

17. bobrek

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

How much do essays normally cost anyway? I can get one from Home Depot for like $75 for the day.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What are you talking about?
    I guess my grad school experience has been different. What they care about is your ability to do good work, understand concepts, and publish in academic journals. I didn't say anything about grades. I just know that if I ever bought an essay, it'd be of no use because our class sizes are small and all the professors know how we write based on all of the writing we've done. They comment on it and discuss it with us after we turn in the work. And in terms of grades, a C in grad school is a death blow to an academic career, but otherwise, it's not that important.
    I can see this working in undergrad where the topics are more general and you can do the whole cut and paste from a variety of sources. Purchasing essays is just a terrible idea for a legit grad school though.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]