1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvard Rescinds Admission Of Parkland High School Student's Admission Over Racist Comments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 18, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're right. Harvard has been checking social media for about 100 years. How dare we suggest its different from grades

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Everyone here did stuff when they were 16. It probably impacted their college admissions. For example, I was drinking beer already; I was far more interested in my gf than in studying; I was on a school team that made me miss a lot of classes. . . . I did not write a bunch of "N****r" all over the place, but I did other stuff. Things you do when you're 16 affect your college admissions!

Is it the rescinding that's the problem?

3. dmoneybangbang

Yea... but why should this kid get special treatment with “cultural studies classes” when there is literally a list of other candidates to choose from....

Sometimes “boys will be boys” has consequences at the highest level of college admission.

4. dmoneybangbang

Your second point is the where I have an issue with this whole thing. The timing absolutely sucks but it’s a no win situation for Harvard.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Times change. What does their acceptance guidelines from 100 years ago...or even 10 years ago...have to do with anything? It's not like this is a school that conservatives can't get in to.

Any word if this kid was immediately accepted into Liberty University?

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Grades are grades

Everything else is everything else

7. dmoneybangbang

All because he said n*gger at 16....

Stay classy conservatives.

sirbaihu likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

And grades are but one factor at elite level schools.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Mainly because of the second point. The kid had a sincere apology. It's a big life-changing moment to go to college, but add on top that your college last minute pulled your acceptance and now you're scrambling to fix your future.

The Harvard's Diversity office accepted his apology. He can be on probation and have a special program because Harvard originally did want him. This is a teachable moment that he can grow from.

I doubt the kid truly is racist, also. That post being shared screams teenage edgelord to me.

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you actually think Harvard bases admission solely on grades?

11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Another affirmation of my point (elsewhere) that white men are the only group it's Ok to discriminate against. And then people wonder why white men's groups are springing up everywhere ....

12. dmoneybangbang

Again... what’s so special about this guy that he needs all this special treatment when there are countless of other people ready to step in? Being a teenage edgelord has its consequences... especially in an ultra competitive environment where you can select non trolling, edge lords.

The timing sucks and Harvard will lose either way.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not even just elite schools. My sis-in-law runs the college counseling department at St. Agnes. It's not just the Ivy league-type schools that look at way more than just grades. Competition to get into college is getting tougher and tougher. You have to be well rounded.

Do you have proof that the only white males were excluded? There was more than just this kid.

14. dmoneybangbang

Lol... such the victim..... sucks when you only have most of the power instead of all it....

But to be fair... the white working class has suffered because they haven’t been able to walk into a factory job by barely passing high school.

Funny what competition does.... or as Trump puts it “those foreigners taking advantage of us”.

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I should have said "my general point." I don't pretend to be uber-expert on Harvard's admissions policies.

But if one thinks that whites, and white men in particular, aren't discriminated against in college admissions throughout the country, one hasn't been paying attention.

This article speaks to my point:
    https://www.chronicle.com/article/U-of-Texas-Is-Sued-Over/246317

And this is "only" college admissions.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

One thing I think is lost here is that there can truly be a difference between being racist and using language racists use.

Carelessly throwing around slurs for shock value does not make someone racist to me. It makes them immature, which teenage boys are known to be.

No, because he took a more conservative position publicly after Parkland, and now he is the target of a supposed witting or unwitting liberal revenge campaign.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Wasn’t he already accepted....

Does conservative Jesus cry when conservatives tell lies?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is perhaps the most salient thing you've ever said on this BBS.

I think you can draw an almost straight line correlation between the rise of "anti white/male/straight" sentiment and the rise of "pro white/male/straight" identitarian groups.

Throw in economic turmoil throughout rural America and you have a tinderbox of right-wing identity politics ready to catch fire.

BruceAndre likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

You’re right, it just makes him appear very “careless” in the context of an ultra competitive admissions process....

Again... plenty of other “less careless” people to choose from...

20. dmoneybangbang

“Personal responsibility” when convenient is the issue. Conservatives believed the private sector would take care of them but the private sector cares more about profits than trickling down.

As a white man in my mid 30s, a lot of you folks are embarrassing yourself with all that “back in the day ****”. Toughen up and compete like everyone else. The gravy train of the post WW2 is long over, adapt to the new world.