1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvard Rescinds Admission Of Parkland High School Student's Admission Over Racist Comments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Deckard ;)

B-Bob likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

"Tough ****" is one route to take, but it's a path to ruin both in the short term (electorally) and long term (health of the republic).

Middle America has clearly been left in the dust by the tech revolution and there isn't any amount of piss n' vinegar gumption that can undo that.

A lot of these folks were duped by trickledown nonsense, and while they're paying the price for their ignorance, it doesn't mean they deserve to be spat on and left to rot.

FWIW, arguing Kashuv shouldn't have been expelled from Harvard doesn't mean "no responsibility", it just means a different punishment.

3. dmoneybangbang

We needed to use the government to blunt the effects of globalization and automation. That isn’t the same as socializing everything.

I don’t think these folks deserve to be spat on but I don’t want to just bail them out. Believing in a world that doesn’t exist over a period of decades has severe consequences. As long as these folks continue to believe in this make believe world, they will rot due to their own doing.

That’s a different argument then the rise of right wing populism.

Kashuv situation sucks for him but actions have consequences in the context of elite schools.

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I completely agree.

I never suggested that.

Like it or not, these rotting folks are the reason we have Donald Trump and a predominantly conservative legislature and judiciary (especially at the state level).

It's not only in our duty to "bail them out", it's in our own interest electorally, and also for self-preservation.

#184 DonnyMost, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No matter anyone's age or color or whatever, it's totally fine to point out that the continuing return to feudalism is a bad move and will result in something either horribly violent or horribly depressing. That's totally independent of being tough or not. I'm responsibly paying rising bills and taking care of folks around me, but I can still say something's seriously sick when I see more and more people living in the streets -- there but for the grace of god go you or I, don't kid yourself -- while all around me people are building $5M box mansions for techies.

FranchiseBlade and Deckard like this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Because it's a special case where Harvard has accepted him and rescinded their offer past the point of no return. Harvard clearly liked him before someone dug up his dirt due to a grudge.

Harvard could show grace and mercy by giving him a second chance with his apology, or they can be zero tolerance automatons that create a precedence for expulsion. I'm sure everyone at Harvard, be it a student, faculty member, or janitor, has no skeletons that would be grounds for expulsion. It only takes one person with a grudge.

BruceAndre likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No

But you are saying everything is equal to grades which is ridiculous

Grades are first

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I was bound to be right (uh, er, "correct") sooner or later. :D

9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Actually there's a side but important issue here -- how much does an Ivy league degree determine one's career/economic future?

Having an Ivy League degree is no doubt still an eye/door opener, but there's plenty of people who have done very well, who have degrees from State University. And increasingly, no college/university degree at all.

But if this guy cannot attend Harvard, and "has" to "settle" for State U., has his economic future been irreparably harmed by Harvard's admission policy?

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think everyone knows and understands that getting rejected from Harvard is going to have a detrimental impact on his future.

Harvard is also completely within their legal rights to reject anyone for any reason they choose short of a protected class. Political leanings, even if they were weighed against Kashuv, are not protected by the federal government.

As such, Kashuv has basically zero legal recourse (nor should he). I would be curious to know if Kashuv has a legal case against the person who narc'd on him, though.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This situation is like promissory estoppel. There should be legally defined protections for students enrolling into college. There are clear financial damages from rescinding acceptance this late.

BruceAndre likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Just clarifying what I meant.

Self preservation, nah that’s silly. How do we bail them out? They don’t believe in the government as they have been cutting off their nose to spite their face for decades? We going to cut them a check? How ironic.

These folks believe in personal responsibility, let them figure it out. Same thing with boomers.... shouldn’t have been wanting lower taxes and the same level entitlements. Incompetence and greed has its consequences.

Us millennials, gen xers, and gen z will hopefully make a line in the sand for the boomers and rural folks who screwed up.

13. dmoneybangbang

And? When the new information came to light, the situation changed. “Boys will be boys” doesn’t work at this level.

An elite school should show grace and mercy when there’s literally hundreds of others equally qualified to fill in?

It sucks someone held a grudge but that made this a very public event. Nevertheless, revealing someone to be an “edgelord” at best is damning in the context of such standards for admission.

#193 dmoneybangbang, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  14. dmoneybangbang

And being duped into thinking the private sector will trickle down that wealth has consequences....

If conservatives were being honest, “personal responsibility” isn’t a big value to them. If conservatives were being honest “many of them are the takers”.

Why should the present and future suffer because the past messed up? Nothing has changed.... those with relevant skills are doing well. The issue is not enough Americans have relevant skills.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I guess that's the other issue I'm feeling here. People try so hard to make a complete profile of themselves to get Harvard's notice. Get the perfect grades, plus succeed in a sport (maybe bribe a coach to say you can sail), plus play a musical instrument, plus extracurriculars, plus volunteering to teach homeless children or whatever, plus the weekends working in the chem lab with a Nobel prize-winner, plus starting your own tech company, plus, plus, plus. Not looking like a giant racist ******* is table stakes before you even run your first mission to bring AIDS medications to Uganda. He failed at the basics. When my wife was a teenager, she tried to keep her nose clean because she wanted to run for public office (she was so naive back then, she didn't realize voters don't care if you did drugs, embezzled money, raped women, or shot someone on Fifth Ave just so long as you vote the right way on abortion) -- that's the foresight ambitious kids employ. He's half-assing it and expects to succeed anyway.

The great majority of the kids rejected by Harvard are smart enough and hardworking enough to succeed there. Getting the grades might be the ante to be considered by admissions, but they can't winnow the field down to the ones they want to accept just be looking at grades. Once you meet the standard, grades are probably one of the less useful metrics for picking students.

If Harvey Mudd College will take him, Harvard might have done him a favor: https://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/bachelors

B-Bob and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. jcf

jcf Member

I think he is damaged more by his continuing to put the spotlight on his prior conduct.

I would feel more empathy for him if he didn't use the deputy's horrible situation for his own gain.

B-Bob, biff17 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I am fully aware Harvard looks at all kinds of metrics if for no other reason than necessity. That have to wade through plemty of applications of which just about all have outstanding academic performance.

18. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then why do you keep blabbering about grades?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You brought up grades actually. Your statement that extracurricular was equal was my issue

They are EXTRAcurricular

Even the post you responded to suggests grades are first

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

At the end of the day, it's Harvard that sets their standards. If they want to take a high school dropout with a 400 SAT and three priors, they can.