1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harry Potter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My girlfriend and I just read the first one and are in the middle of the second one. We absolutely love it, and now can't wait for the movie. So, I have two questions for you:

1. Do any of you like Harry Potter?

2. Can anyone give me a good argument against Harry Potter from a Christian or religious standpoint. My brother's a big Christian, and we wanted to discuss with him that we couldn't find anything offensive or threatening to Christianity (we were looking) in the book. We think that the books are excellent reading for kids because they have great vocabulary. I'm not really looking for a debate, I just really don't know.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Stephen King is a big fan of Harry Potter.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I haven't read it, but maybe I should. There must be something to it if most adults and children like it the same. That's some good writing.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

christians tend to hate anything
    magically that isn't attributed to God
    directly.

Seems like a phenom. . .I too have
    not read it .. . the plot reminds
    me of this other book i read

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL WIZARD

Rocket River

------------------

5. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Wait till you get to the fourth book. They get much darker. I'm not a Christian but I could see why SOME parents might not want their children to read the books. I think the outcry over them is silly to a degree but wait till you finish the fourth.

I think part of the problem is they start out light-hearted and fairly care-free but move on. That's not bad per se but the same child who starts the series may not be ready to finish it. That's what has upset some parents.

------------------

[This message has been edited by dylan (edited July 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by dylan (edited July 24, 2001).]

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Christians don't like things that have power other than God . Christians believe only God has absolute power . Satan has power over humans because their souls are weak . For this reason any power not used in the name of Jesus or God can only be from Satan . people often think Satan is God's equal enemy , like Holyfield vs. Tyson were nobody knows who will win . But God has much more power . Hell was created for Satan only , Whoever renounces the name of God and never repents will be thrown into hell with Satan . The Bible calls hell a Lake of Sulfur in the prophetic book of Revelations .

Satan doesnt live in Hell , God created Hell , God is in charge in Heaven and Hell . Satan will be thrown into the lake of fire were he will be tormented day and night forever and ever . According to the book of Revelations he will be in hell for 1,000 years . than he will be released for a short time , he will than gather up all the kings of the world against the holy city of God . God will than smite them all and they will all be thrown into Hell forever .

I'm been paying attention in chruch [​IMG]

------------------
    Reactions after The Rockets got Eddie Griffin for 3 draft picks

"Eddie For 3 ... Yes!!! O Mother!!!!!!!"

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Don't generalize with respect to Christians. They recently asked the retired Bishop in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area if he had read Harry Potter. Here is his response:

"Yeah, I have. I’ve gotten through two of them. And I like them. And I frankly think that the people who find Satan the big player in the Harry Potter books don’t really read the book. I think you’ve got to be able to put yourself back into that kind of wonderful, almost mystical atmosphere that [author J.K. Rowling] creates. And I enjoy that."

------------------

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, I will refrain from the forthcoming Christian argument that will erupt here, and say that I love the Harry Potter books.

I read them all in a few days, and I can't wait for the movie, and the next installment.

However, it is almost time to re-read The Lord of the Rings, as the first movie comes out Christmas.

OH BOY !!!

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

9. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Yeah, can we lay off the generalizations? Jeez. Especially the stupidly simplistic ones?

RM95, I love the Potter series. My friends kept telling me it was really good, so I agreed to read the first book just to get them to shut up. Next thing I know, I've got the movie poster as my wallpaper! [​IMG] I just started The Goblet of Fire last night-- I'm only 90 pages in.

I believe the fifth book in the series will be titled The Order of the Phoenix... cooooool.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Expelliarmus!!!!!!!!

------------------
    fitter, happier more productive
    comfortable
    not drinking too much eating well (no more microwave dinners and saturated fats)
    sleeping well (no bad dreams)
    no paranoia
    fitter, healthier and more productive
    a pig
    in a cage
    on antibiotics

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I just finished reading Harry Potter for LIS. 306 pages!!!

I'M BLIND!!!!

If I could see I would chunk the book into the middle of the street. Burn baby burn!!!!

12. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I read the books and watched the movie. I read the first book to see if it was appropriate for my kid. I read the next three because it was a great story and I because I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. I watched the movie under the guise that I was checking to see if it was ok for the boy. It, too, was fantastic. I am a christian and don't care for the generalizations made in this thread. I'm not one to b**** about it I just don't like being group with Christian fanatics that scream out about magic, sex, drugs, or any other thing. Most of us, and by most I mean all but a very few freaks, are no different from the bulk of the American population. In fact, we are the bulk of the American population. More christians have bought the Potter books than any other religious sect.

Clumping us together as book burners or censors is ridiculous.

Chance

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course more Christians buy the series, the vast majority of Americans are Christians. When I criticize, I criticize people like my brother. We were going to take all the kids to a movie this weekend, and my sister asked him if they were "doing Harry Potter". He said no, and my sister (who's also a devout Christian) asked him if they had even read the book...he said no, but his church said they shouldn't. There was also a big article in the Tyler paper about churches who both support and denounce the book.

I think the vast majority of Christians, both in name and in actual churchgoers, see what Harry Potter really is, great fantasy for young and old...not some work of the devil.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tell your family that there is a little matter of FREE WILL, and to make their own choices about what is appropriate for their kids.

DaDakota

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

For the sake of family harmony, we let it go...but we all privately wondered how Christians who say they are against magic and such, could be supportive of Star Wars at the same time, which my brother is. I mean, if moving **** with your mind isn't evil, I don't know what is! :)

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm okay now. Too much reading in one day is bad. I have no problem with the content of the book. I don't have an urge to read the second book, but I recommend the first to anyone. If I was a parent, I'd rather have my kid read a book than watch TV. One of the things I learned in class (and I thought this class was a blowoff) is that no book is safe from controversy. Harry Potter has been recommended by so many literary organizations that it overshadows everything else.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

please don't make that generalization....i'm a christian, but i think harry potter is fantastic. there are great "good vs. evil" object lessons in harry potter...and it's got kids reading, which is amazing. reading harry potter doesn't separate me from God...at the same time, i'm not out there casting spells on anyone either. temeperance is a virtue!

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RM95,

There is some debate about magic andthe Christian church, that begins with Christianity's inception.

Christian comes out of Judaism, which itself had been ridiculed for practicing magic. With the advent of Christianity, there were accusations against its Christ, saying that he was just a common magician. Christians, in turn, argued that other religious figures (from pagan rome, mystery cults, etc) were fraud magicians as well.

Additionally, in one of those grey areas, Christ was often portrayed (both in image and literature) as a magician by Christians. Magic wand and all. The difference, they said, was that he was the only real one.

Of course this is nothign new in modern culture as well. Dungeons and Dragons is considered satanic, is it not? I remember once when I was away on a bible retreat in Galveston (I went as a guest - not a member of the church), there was a group of kids playing a role paying game. The head guy came in and was worried, until he found out it was not specifically Dungeons and Dragons...so he said it was allright. Pretty funny.

In brief, people are idiots in general...it does not matter what their religion is. Harry Potter is not the first, nor will it be the last perceived "assault" on someone's own brand of religion.

Moe, I did not understand your post...does it imply your agreement with RM95's brother, a possible explanation for beliefs, or was itjust a platform for you to say a few words about hell?

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I am not a Christian, but I thought the first Potter book was pretty damn mediocre. There isn't a whole lot of great literature written for children, so it stacks well against the competition, but doesn't hold a candle to the greats. It is the Kenny Thomas of children's fiction, I suppose.

My biggest issue with the story is that the good vs. evil lesson that Madmax pointed out is poorly done -- or maybe just doesn't jell with my general philosophy. The 'good guys' (Potter et al) are jerks and I don't like them. And the bad things they do are never condemned. The 'bad guys' are so ridiculously unidimensionally evil that they (1) have no humanity and (2) receive blanket condemnation. In short, the book condemns sinners and not sins. If I were a Christian, this is the argument I would make, not something about the magic.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How are they jerks?