1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison twins out of Houston, TX

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by LCAhmed, Sep 18, 2012.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The only guy I'm sold on is Wiggins. Not so sure Randle or the twins will be all that in college.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

In that system they will.

This will be Calipari's best class if he lands Wiggins, Randle, and also James Young

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xl_c_eEZBAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wP2eqTZY6kM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YQX11hu7JAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. val_modus

val_modus Member

It was fun playing with them at Travis my senior year, good to see them go big time.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

Hes landed Young already, Randle has dropped UNC and Duke and UK seems to be the only realistic place for him to land, other than FSU if Im not mistaken (FSU? Who would go there to play ball).

As of right now, it looks like Randle may be going somewhere else if Malcom Lee commits. I know you cant say no to the #1 prospect, but Lee has cut his list to Cal and UK, obvious choice there.

Best case scenario, UK lands the twins (check), Young (check), Randle, and Wiggins reclassifies. As of now, I think a lot of people will be surprised by how good Willie Cauley-Stein is for UK. He has been given Nerlens all he can handle thus far, and at 7'0" 240 he has good foot speed and runs the court well.

Cal will send Poythress, Goodwin, Nerlens, and Harrow to the draft this year, maybe WCS also. Wiltjer will stick around another year, although in Big Blue Madness he was showing that he has improved a lot during the off season.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

John Lucas compares the Harrison twins to LeBron, Kobe and D-Rose. I just don't see it, but must admit I've never closely watched NBA players when they were in high school. Like everyone else, I've only seen LeBron high school highlights.

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...rce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&nclick_check=1

Recruiting Insider | Harrison twins, Kentucky basketball commitments, got early jump on NBA game
    Written by Steve Jones The Courier-Journal
    Oct. 14
    courier-journal.com

New University of Kentucky basketball commitments Andrew and Aaron Harrison are battle-tested players who have practiced against professionals since even before they began high school, according to former NBA player and coach John Lucas, who has trained the twins in Houston since they were eighth-graders.

Lucas, who is hosting the Midwest Invitational basketball camp in Louisville this weekend, heavily praised the identical, 6-foot-5, 210-pound twins who are considered consensus top-five players in the 2013 class.

“They come in, for me, right behind Kobe (Bryant) and LeBron (James) as talents,” Lucas said in a phone interview last week. “… They’ve got a chance to be really good.”

The Harrisons, who play for Travis High School near Houston, chose the Cats this month over Maryland, which is Lucas’ alma mater.

Lucas said that when the twins were in the eighth and ninth grade, they were the only players that young allowed to participate in games with the pros he also helps train, particularly at his annual NBA predraft camp.

Lucas mentioned J.R. Smith, Blake Griffin, Andray Blatche, Tyshawn Taylor, Chandler Parsons, Hassan Whiteside, John Henson and his son John Lucas III as some NBA players or former prospects with whom the Harrisons have shared a court.

“They held their own,” Lucas said.

Lucas said he was not surprised that the Harrisons committed to UK coach John Calipari.

“I think that’s one place that will get the most out of them and they’ll be challenged,” he said.

Lucas said Andrew Harrison, the nation’s No. 1 point guard, is a unique player, but when the coach was asked if he’d compare him to any other players Lucas said, after a pause to ponder, “A bigger, little slower version of Derrick Rose, with that physical strength to get wherever he wants.”

7. moose

moose Member

good to see some new guys representing houston!

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Went to see the twins tonight at Hopson vs. Aaron Gordon's team from San Jose, CA. It wasn't packed out at all. In fact, they forced everyone to sit on one side so the ESPN cameras on the other side would show the place looking full. Calipari & T.J. Ford were there. On several occasions, the time-out breaks lasted a long time because they waited for ESPN to finish commercials.

As far as the game itself, it seemed like there was a lid on both baskets the entire time. Andrew Harrison was hobbled so Aaron did most of the shooting and he couldn't get it going from outside. Most of his drives to the rim were also unsuccessful. One thing very obvious is Travis is much worse than last year. They only have one other guy on their team that is an offensive threat (#1 is a good 3-point shooter). Nobody else is above-average athletically. I can't imagine them making it to the state finals again.

Aaron Gordon is very gifted athletically, is very long and his crossover is wicked. He is not a good shooter and seems to know it. Gordon's floor vision surprised me and he plays within a team system that doesn't allow him to hoist a huge number of shots. His teammates are even less athletic than Travis.

Like I said after watching them play as juniors, neither Aaron nor Andrew Harrison seems to be a one-and-done college talent. Cal is a pretty demanding coach who constantly jumps on his players and maybe that will push them to another level. Gordon is hard to tell. He must learn to shoot better to take advantage of his handles and height.

It went into OT and Gordon barely missed a game-tying 3-pointer that would have made a 2nd OT.

9. Convictedstupid

Caught the highlights and saw that Gordon 1 handed Oop.

Holy jesus that was sick.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I thought the ball was too high. What a play. Besides his two blocks of dunks in the 4th quarter, that was the only highlight play of the game.

11. SK34

SK34 Member

the reason fsu still there is because of wiggins... didn't wiggins pops played for fsu?

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's halftime of Travis' 3rd round game against Clearbrook and they've got them doubled up 42-21. Clearbrook just isn't athletic enough and the twins are putting on a crowd-pleasing performance.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

damn Clear Brook used to be one of my "enemy schools". Glad to hear the Twins are making a good performance though and that Brook made it to the 3rd round

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Game was at Manvel HS. I left at the start of the 4th quarter when I saw the twins would not play anymore. It was 61-32.

Travis is clearly worse than last year and they didn't impress me in a couple of earlier games, but Clear Brook was just too small to offer any resistance. If a team doesn't have ANY big, physical players, they have no chance against Travis. There were plenty of hammer dunks, alley-oops, etc.

Both crowds were raucous and had me laughing. It was close early and they went back-and-forth at each other harder than the players. My son just got home (he stayed until 5 mins left) and said two adults on the Clear Brook side got into a fight.

Sore losers.

15. TRAV

TRAV Member

bush would beat travis

saw the fight

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Haven't they beaten them twice already?

If both teams win Friday, when would they play the Region final (a rematch from 2012)? Last year I drove to Aldine on a Saturday and will do it again. That's an intense rivalry.

Might go after work this Friday and catch the doubleheader at Campbell Center since I work at the airport.

17. TRAV

TRAV Member

yea they play at cambell at 6
    i think bush plays after vs. bellaire

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So are these kids worth me going to see?

19. TRAV

TRAV Member

probably the last time you could see them play in person for $3-5

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Travis advances to the championship game for the 2nd year in-a-row. Didn't think they would do it with a much worse set of teammates as compared to last year.

I'm thinking about driving to Austin tomorrow. Anybody else?