1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes turns down $64 million extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree with Sam.

DD

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Interesting you guys mentioned about Ariza. His numbers this season are quite similar to Ariza's.

His 3pt shot has dipped this season. If you can't shoot close to .400 playing with Curry, Thompson, and Green, your shot is not good enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I won't be surprised when he gets a ton of money from some team despite his sad playoff performance.

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I just realized why Harrison Barnes is so maddening to me. He's Eddie Jones 2.0. Someone will give him that money like the Heat gave to Jones :(

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The guy is a role player. He does absolutely nothing on an elite level. He's not even particularly efficient despite being very selective with his shots. His main strength is scoring, which he doesn't do as easily or consistently as other role players on GS like Iggy and Livingston. He's not nearly as good a defender as those two either. Outside of Curry and Thompson, GS's offense is very evenly distributed. Everyone is played to their strengths, even bit role players like Speights. If he can't stand out from the others, or even looks worse, it's not going to get easier on his own team. He should be killing it in his role.

That said, he's smart to turn down an extension. DeMarre Carroll had a very similar role on the Hawks and got a 60mil/4 year contract. Barnes should get more for being younger and a free agent under the new cap explosion. I don't blame athletes for getting their money, but whatever team gives him the max will regret it. I certainly hope it's not the Rockets.

6. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Warriors will be better off giving the max money to Nic Batum. A more mature, versatile player who can defend and pass the ball.

If they can make a push, he might be tempted because of the opportunity for multiple championship.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Barnes is going to get a max. Let's hope that it's not from us.

He's not a great defender, he isn't a lights out shooter (he's not bad), he has no particularly elite skills, he doesn't pass the ball much, he does everything at an average to below average level.

Apparently that, and "championship experience," will be enough for some team to max him. And that will happen because with the high cap space people are going to be spending stupid money on mid-level players.

8. hakeemthagreat

When you guys offer criticism of a player's game, do you ever factor in the players role with the team he's on? Barnes is playing with ALOT of scorers in a offense where everybody touches the ball. His offensive numbers aren't going to be superstar caliber because his role is too pick & choose his shots. From what I've seen the kid can ball and if he works on his game, I think he can become a allstar.

I think Harrison Barnes would blossom here in a Mike D'Antoni offense

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I did. I compared him to other role players on GS and he's worse, or at least not much better. He gets outplayed by his backup. Iggy is an elite defender and playmaker at his position, while Barnes does not do anything exceptionally well. His ability to create offense off the dribble is average and his jumpshot is merely decent. Those are important qualities for a scorer.

Even you said he would need to work on his game to be an all-star. Do you blame others for not thinking his potential is that high? I see his best-case potential as Rudy Gay and that's being generous. You're not wrong for thinking he could be better, but a lot of us just don't see him as that good. We have eyes too.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Harrison Barnes will be stealing money from whoever signs him this offseason.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thompson and Curry were both out for substantial stretches - did Harrison Barnes jump into the breach and show he's a #2 option waiting to get a chance?

Not really. Do you remember game 3 against the Rockets? Ian Clark was the one stepping up while Barnes was on the bench.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, I'm thinking he'll definitely be available.

Warriors aren't going to break the bank for him at this point; games like last night were far too common. It wasn't just the missed shots, but more the decision making that can go with it.

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He looked pretty awful yesterday when the Dubs were depending on him to step up.

Which has been the case almost the entire season.

Pass, please.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LgqmCpQkQkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He had quite a few games, and stretches during many games where he looked like the best players on the court, that's why the Warriors offered him that contract extension last year.

Everyone knows that he is inconsistent at this point of his career, but that has a lot to do with how he is used with the GSW, and his age. If he is consistent at his age, he would be a top 10 player in this league already.

We are all speculating based on what he has showed so far, which is a complete player on both ends with a lot of potential, but also inconsistency. He just needs the opportunity to show what he can be, or cannot be, but GSW won't have it for him with the players they already have.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Top 10 player potential? My goodness.

Maybe we should agree to disagree here, but he's absolutely not a complete player on both ends of the floor. He's a player that, in my estimation, quite clearly lacks the skills required to become a complete offensive player at all; let alone one you can justify awarding a max contract and making a #1 option.

Not a creater. Not a finisher. Only scores off of open jumpers, low percentage pull-up jumpers or on cuts when defenses ignore him. People are selling him as a stretch 4, but he can't PnR. Hasn't improved at all.

I mean, you can only sing the "He's young, championship pedigree, knows his role, he's athletic, blah blah blah" tune for so long before a little good basketball judgment and common sense has to take over. At least when the Rockets tried this strategy with Ariza, we weren't paying him $20M+ to dribble with his head down and toss up bricks.

17. daoshi

I said if he is consistent with the ability he has showed from time to time, he would be a top 10 players in this league. I don't know how many games you have watched he play, but I have watched every single one of them this season, and I'd give him a chance to prove his worth if my team has the cap, and need a 2nd option.

The Warriors management must saw something you don't, otherwise they won't offered him that contract with the contract Thompson & Green already have, and Curry's is on the way.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I've watched a lot and think that claim is bonkers. I mean that respectfully. Stranger things have certainly happened in the universe, but this whole top 10 potential thing would seemingly be a shocker to most. Most people here seem to see him for what he is due to the aforementioned lack of skill and progress.

And you keep falling back on the fact that the Warriors offered him a contract extension as some sort of validation, when in reality it was quite obviously for 1) Continuity and 2) Get him locked him in something in the mid-teens before the cap explodes and he could command $20M+. It was a smart play for the Warriors at the time and even wiser for Barnes to decline such an offer since he'll be able to command more on the open market this summer. Whether or not he's going to get paid isn't a question; of course, he is. The questions are how good is he really and what sort of upside does he have?

19. daoshi

I guess we are debating about the things we both agreed with. I made it very clear in my initial post that he is not worth the max, but will get paid because of the market, and the potential some teams feels.

I still like his potential, feel he will give you a much better stats line when give the opportunity. No one knows for sure what he will turns out to be, but he will never get that opportunity with the Warriors.

20. Mr Chuck Norris

they did not put Shane McMahons theme behind this LMAOOOOOOOOOO