1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes turns down $64 million extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Asian Sensation

Bahahahaha. Good one :grin:

2. BackdoorHarden

Why is Barnes' agent on Clutchfans.com???

Barnes shoots more open 3's than anyone else in the history of the NBA.

He's the last person teams are going to guard. Look at the guys guarding him, Kryie, Lillard, and the crap from the Rockets.

3. Asian Sensation

No he won't. You can't be inconsistent and average 25 pts a game. Ever. Also, no team in their right mind would have him as a 1st option. I personally wouldn't want him as a 2nd option either and I wouldn't be super confident about him as a 3rd option. To pay him the max or anywhere near the max will be a giant mistake as some others have mentioned.

I just don't see superstar potential with him regardless of how young he is.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

They're going to pay him, why not? Unless they get KD (they won't) they need a 3/4, Barnes may not be that good but he's certainly good and young enough for them to justify a max as today.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Barnes' max isn't really the max. Since he is coming off rookie scale salary his max is just 15M, compared to the "real" max which starts at 20M+.

15M in the new salary cap rules for a guy of Barnes' age and potential is pretty decent, the dude is only starting to learn how to play and its better to overpay him now than let him walk and watch him become a superstar under another team. At worst you're only overpaying by 2-5M that's neglible at this point.

6. basketballholic

When the cap goes to 89-92 million in a few weeks Barnes' max will start between 19-22 million and most likely over 20.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hmm I stand corrected. Still, considering the other options out there this summer his contract shouldn't be too bad. Also while he's making 22M other max guys can make 30M+ so his max will still be cheaper than say what we'll need to pay Harden when his current contract is done.

8. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Barnes has some skills, but no skill of his rises to even plus, except his ability to shoot catch-and-shoot jumpers, which even that isn't great. I think the Ariza comparisons are pretty reasonable, but he's not as good an on the ball defender as Ariza was in his prime.

Barnes has a weak handle, is very iffy finishing at the rim, has an inconsistent shot and can't make anything more than the simplest of passes. There is no indicator, other than age, that he has star-level potential offensively. He'd need to make unforeseen leaps to at least two of his offensive skills to become a star. I certainly wouldn't bet a huge deal on him doing that. Because of his lack of any elite offensive skills, he'll have one night in ten when he looks like a force, five nights in ten when he looks like a solid role-player and four nights in ten when he completely disappears.

Barnes was a nice piece in the Warriors' machine on a rookie contract, but I don't think they'll pay the max for him and I think any team that does will regret it quickly. If he had signed a max last year, before the first cap explosion, that might have been a reasonable contract after this year's and next year's cap increases. But this year's max is not going to look like a bargain even after next year's cap increase, IMO.

9. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

This dude is not that good

some r****d will throw money at him and give him the green light similar to when the rockets gave Ariza the the green light his first time in houston

lmaooooo

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

You don't pay [slightly better] Trevor Ariza max money. In the words of Pat Beverley, I'm gonna feel sorry for the next team. :eek:

Average 25 as a first option? LOL Serious? Something only a handful of guys does each season?

15-16: 6 players
    14-15: 3 players
    13-14: 5 players
    12-13: 5 players
    11-12: 4 players
    10-11: 7 players

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Warriors are so glad he turned down their contract offer last year.

Makes me sick.

12. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Meh, they'd probably be fine with Barnes at $16M per year. After two cap explosions, this off-season and next, the max is going to absolutely soar, probably get close to 30M (and prompt another lock-out threat). But this is the first year of the soaring max, so maxing out Barnes this year is what salty franchise tears are made of.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Barnes is a little better than Ariza because he his drives are little more productive and he has a better post game. He's not that much better, but he's certainly got a little more offensive game. Ariza has the edge defensively ( at one time ).

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Ariza sucks. The guy can not dribble at all.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

To me, max player is a guy who can impact the outcome of the game CONSISTENTLY, night in and night out, there are less than 10 guys deserve the max contract in this league. So I'm not saying he is worth the max, but talking about the potential market in general. You got less guys making near max money, I'm sure there are teams willing to pay him.

Barnes has a complete game. On offense, he can shoot 3s, put the ball on the floor, either go by people, or shoot the pull-ups, and he has a good post-up game as well. He is a very good defender, especially on the post. He is one of the strongest, and the most athletic players on the Warriors.

The most complain from the Warriors and their fans is his inconsistency with his shots, but that has a lot to do with the way Warriors plays. He is not the shooter Curry, or Thompson are, the Warriors rarely run any plays for him, so it's very hard to be consistent when you don't know how many shots you will get, and when you will get each night. Kerr has mentioned this exact point in several occasions, that's why the Warriors was willing to pay him >$16mil/per despite his offensive stats, because they knew his value.

The guys is 6'8", very athletic, has 40+inch leap, with a polished offensive game, is a very good defender. How may guys like this you can find in this league? None of us know how he will turn out when he get the chance to be the first option, but he has all the tools to be successful.

Oh, the guy is a great teammate, doesn't drink, is a model citizen off the court.

#75 daoshi, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  16. theangrycanary

Barnes must be pretty clutch.

Because just off the top of my head, I can think of like three or four clutch shots he's taken, and they all went in.

Plus, considering he was starting on the team with the best regular season record of all time and back to back championships...

He must be doing something right.

At his age? I'd give him the max.

17. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Barnes is a max player. But how are you going to afford max Curry, Thompson, Green and Barnes???

So unfortunately Barnes has to go simply due to unaffordability.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Barnes can guard PF's well and that's why I think Morey will be interested, he completely opens the court for us as our go to small ball PF, he can defend 3 positions well, hit the 3 at a high %, rebound deecently, is athletic, strong, young and would fit nicely in a D'Antoni system. Its the versatility that makes him worth the money, when the dude is playing 3 positions you can afford to pay him for 3 positions in some cases.

For example this is what a rotation could look like with Barnes

SG: Harden (38) / Barnes (10)
    SF: Ariza (34) / Barnes (14)
    Pf: Barnes (10) / Beasley (19), Dmo (19)

His minutes could be dann near split at ever position if we want.

19. BackdoorHarden

He's restricted, the Warriors can match any salary.

Warriors owner already said on record they won't be cheap like OKC letting Harden go because they don't want to pay the luxury tax.

Ironic, OKC is now paying luxury tax after going over the cap to match Kanter's offer by Portland

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree. Like i said other times, i'm not a great fan, i don't think he'll be an all star someday, but he's still young so he can still grow as a player. He can do almost everything pretty well or decently enough. Probably Ariza is still a bit better defensively, but offensively Trevor is just bad, i love Trevor but damn, he can't handle the ball, can't pass, can't finish...another good thing to consider is that Barnes max would give us a bit more cap space which is always a plus.

Too bad just cannot see the Warriors not matching his contract.