1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes turns down $64 million extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

2. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed. Except that the MLE and the vet mins will also go up. BUT the first 4 years of rookie contracts will NOT and that's why picks will be more valuable than ever.
    However in this and next offseason there will be a peak of "building through FA" by every single team due to capspace and limited supply.

And let's be real. Do you think that if there wasn't such a limited supply in next year's FA Barnes would turn down that contract?
    But he knows what he's doing and he's lucky.
    He was top 10 in RPM for the whole NBA tho shoots at an elite % and plays the least deep position of all SG (plus SF AND PF). I would pay two Middletons before I pay one Barnes.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Doesn't Barnes play the same positions (SG,SF,PF). He defends them at an elite level, and shoots a better % than Middleton...

Now I would take Middleton over Barnes, but I don't think there are 2 Middletons to a Barnes....

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good move for him. Now demand a trade.

5. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

3pt % is virtually identical. Middleton has a higher ft%, Barnes higher fg%. I'd take Barnes because he's a better defender and is already part of a winning formula.

I dont care much about RPM. ZaZa Puchilia is ahead of DeAndre JOrdan, who did Dallas go for first?

6. malakas

malakas Member

Barnes plays SF.
    Also the most important thing is this:
    http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/09/02/deep-dives-open-shooters/

Middleton on the other hand was the only shooter in a hillariously bad shooting team with all the other starters shooting bricks for the new stadium.
    Teams didn't dare to leave any space to him to shoot, even double teamed him.
    So I would rather have two middletons with such contracts in my team (PERFECT switching in the wings and low usage elite shooting and one of the best wing defences) than a Barnes.
    In fact I want to clone him.

(from the rockets you can see in that article that DMO was no.5 in wide open shooting with 20% and Josh Smith was no.15 with 16%)
    This is natural when you have stars like Harden drawing all the defence. (or Curry in Barnes case).
    It's one of the reasons why Stars make everyone around them better.(at least if they can pass and they aren't blackholes).

7. malakas

malakas Member

Barnes is a better defender? how exactly?
    RPM is not a be all end all and its dependant on teams record and lineups but when a so called role player is in the top 10 that means someting. His DRPM , in fact all his defensive advance stats are elite, maybe the top 3 in his position.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Certainlu I am not denying Middleton is better. But not 2x as good.
    I would far prefer to pay Middleton 4/70m vs Barnes.
    But Barnes has versatility, can shoot, and defend. He will get paid.

9. malakas

malakas Member

yes. He will get paid and deversedly so. I agree.
    I didn't mean that Mids is two times the player Barnes is...after all they are both third bananas not stars. I meant that IF i was a GM i rather have 34 million per devoted to my wings that offer what Midds does than have one Barnes and remaining capspace to get someone else.
    These numbers may now seem big but it will be the norm.

Barnes is very young, is very athletic , has great work ethic , is not injury prone at all , has demonstrated abillity to guard even powerful pfs like ZBO and has taken advantage of the opening that the defence leaves him to shoot his way open threes. He's great as a role player for a team. An elite role player.
    He may even breakout this season who knows. I don't expect it because his weaknesses are hard to fix (handles, playmaking, court vision) but there's still hope.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think so. It looks to me like they are defined in a schedule in the CBA. See Larry Coon on the MLE: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25, and on the minimum: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16. If I'm misunderstanding the rules, please let me know because I'm very interested in this dynamic between scheduled salaries and percentages of the cap.

1 person likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

yeah well I am in no place to explain you such rules. I don't understand most things.
    I think you are right?
    It's tweets like that :
    https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/618938946047901697
    that makes one think that it raises also.
    I really am not sure maybe I will go ask Bima in his thread.
    Probably you are right tho.

12. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I say we max this guy out. Dudes just seems automatic. I'm not sure if the Warriors will want to max him out...but we should try

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I had no idea Barnes had so many agents... or that most of them posted on Clutchfans.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Who ever gives this guy the max will regret it.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He's going to get paid. Does GS keep him or let him walk?

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He'll be the next Ariza. The guy some team swipes from a championship team because of his age, size, athleticism, defense and shooting thinking they can morph said player into some big time scorer (despite an obvious lack of skill).

It won't work. I've never once watched Barnes play and thought, "This guy could be the main act somewhere". I just don't see the skill level or offensive upside to back the hype.

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He has a far better offensive game than Ariz, will average ~25pt/game as a 1st option. His biggest problem is inconsistent, but that's expected when your team run 90% of the plays to get shots for Curry & Thompson, and everyone else just wait for their luck.

He is also only 23?

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Nope I think he will only average 24pt/game as a 1st option.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't mean to put you on the spot here, but what specifically about his offensive game stands out to you?

What skills do you see that will enable him to accomplish that 25 PPG average?

20. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Not worth a max Warrior fans don't like him for good reason