1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes turns down $64 million extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

I thought he turned it down so he could get less money.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

this is so true.....which in turn make 8m the new 4m.... damn that Ariza deal is sweet.....

makes Morris appealing and really have to think only one of the PFs will be signed and hopefully the other can be sign and traded

3. Raven

Raven Member

4. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Perhaps it's not just the money, but that he wants an expanded role on another team that is the reason he turned the extension down

5. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

I think we are laughing at the GM who's may offer that much. Larger cap space means mroe room for GM's to be stupid.

6. PJ86

PJ86 Member

So you agree with me then...good.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The difference between Barnes and Jones is the 3pt shot.

Barnes can make it. TJones can't. Barnes will make more money than TJones when they hit restricted free agency.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Its pretty hard to believe though it's true. The NBA better hope the market doesn't crash between now and then because the teams will hemorrhage major money when the tickets stop selling and the players are still getting paid ridiculous guaranteed contracts.

9. rocketseagles07

Agree 100%. This isn't a guy that's being held back by superior teammates. The team is making him that good. Even Dray who I think wouldn't be as good on another team deserves the money because he's that valuable to what the team does and the biggest mismatch creator. They can find another Harrison barnes. He can't create his own shot, he's a good defender not a great one, and before last year he wasn't even a consistent shooter.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The TV contracts are paying for most of it, and those are long term contracts. I think ticket stuff doesn't matter as much.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I question "great". Knot nocking Barnes just saying he plays his ROLE well on a TERRIFIC team.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Barnes hasn't shown me that he wants to take over games. And while I think last year that could never be his role, in past years the Warriors were begging him to step up and he seemed incapable. He clearly has always had talent. But at no level has he ever taken his game to another level. I think that with Harden as a comparison you had moments where he stepped up at Oklahoma, and times where he stepped down, but you had those glimpses. Not sure that Barnes has really shown that desire to be something more, until now, where he turned down that extension.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Am I the only one that thinks its getting ridiculous? Instead of jacking up contracts to the point of absurdity, how about rolling some of those dollars back to the fans - lower ticket prices, cheaper viewing options, etc....

Mid level guys turning down 16M/yr.... meanwhile I gotta pay over $100 just to watch games... just dont seem right....

it's getting to be like when Don King destroyed boxing...

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Different players. TJones is an inch taller, 30 lbs heavier, and 3 inches longer. Jones blocks almost 2 shots per game....Barnes is not a shot blocker (0.2 per game).

There is a reason the Rockets have held onto Jones. IF he can learn to shoot, he has everything else he needs to be a good player. Given that Josh Smith became a 33% 3 point shooter on 3.5 attempts per game with the Rockets, I don't see why TJones can't do the same. Whether he actually gets there is up to him.

I hope this is the year we see a jump in his game.....from a talented player with holes in his game to a solid all around contributor with consistent performance.

15. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Easy decision for Barnes.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Guys, here is what some of you need to do:

Whatever contracts are being negotiated, multiply them by .6 to convert from 2016/17 dollars to today's dollars. That should help you understand the numbers better.

Next summer there will be a huge amount of money available and not enough players. Things will be crazier than they are now. In 2017 when the cap exceeds $100 million (and LeBron signs long term), it goes to yet another level.

You've been warned. ;)

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interesting twist in Harrison Barnes switching agents: sources say he pushed back on standard 4% commission agents get on new contracts.</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/646340713131589632">September 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. baubo

baubo Member

James Harden was underpaid the moment he put up superstar numbers 2 games into his Rockets career.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In the new NBA there will be the upper class (making max ~$30m), the middle class (guys you need cap space or Bird rights to sign, but they're role players), the lower class (guys you sign for the MLE, probably to come off the bench), and the throwaways (guys you sign for the minimum because you have no exceptions left you can use).

I have to think that this increase in cap -- after the initial bonanza -- will shift the weight of team-building away from free agency (except discontent max players) and toward the draft and trading. One, because the MLE won't be as useful for getting serviceable players so holding Bird Rights becomes more important. And two, because rookie contracts are an even better deal than ever before.

And, this big bump in BRI necessitates another big CBA renegotiation. The schedules of salaries for draft picks, for minimum players, for the MLE and other exceptions are now totally out of whack. Teams probably like that because it reduces players' power to choose their teams, but the union will want some kind of correction. I'd recommend they index everything to the salary cap like they did with max contracts. The union probably want a bigger piece of the pie too, though they probably won't get it.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What's ridiculous about it? The league signed new massive TV deals and their employees want and deserve their cut. The owners can roll $$ back to the fans anytime they want by not making as much.