1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes or Arnett Moultrie?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RealContender, Apr 20, 2012.

1. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Would you rather trade up for Harrison Barnes or stay put at #14 and take Arnett Moultrie?

My take on Barnes is that he's got all the natural ability in the world and can become as great as he wants to be. Sadly, he just lacks a "killer instinct" and isn't able to create his own shot too often.

BUT, I think Barnes' ceiling is MUCH higher than that of Chandler Parsons. So, I think it's worth looking into. To me Parsons' ideal role is that of a 6th Man. Consistent, reliable SF who'll only get better from here, but doesn't have any Star potential.

The more I look into Moultrie, the more I like him. Super athletic, but I'm just concerned he doesn't have a true position at the NBA level. Don't get me wrong, he can score in a variety of ways, but his weight scares me a bit when it comes to playing down low with his back to the basket.

All I know is that we need to come out of this draft - someway, somehow - with a player who's loaded with Star potential.

I'd love to get up to 4 or 5 and take Andre Drummond, but that'd probably take more than we've got to give.

2. thething

thething Contributing Member

You do whatever it takes to get a player like that. The team needs to rebuild and you can't do it with just mid round picks.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

As true as that is, I wouldn't waste a high pick on Harrison Barnes. No D, unable to take over games.

If we're trading up, it needs to be for a genuine 2 or 5.

4. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

I agree. Having said that, are you willing to trade away your future for Andre Drummond or Bradley Beal?

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

6. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think Harrison Barnes falls to us, too tall, too athletic.

7. bmt1334

bmt1334 Member

In a heartbeat. The better question is what team would take our future over either one those two?

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If the Rockets were able to trade up into the top 4, the only player they should focus on is Thomas Robinson.

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I'm really big on Thomas. But don't bet on seeing him in Red.

The prospects I see with star potential are:
    Anthony Davis
    Thomas Robinson
    Bradley Beal
    Jeremy Lamb

Borderline Allstars
    Michael Kidd Gilchrist
    Andre Drummond
    Perry Jones(very high on Jones unlike others)
    Terrance Ross(he will suprise alot of people)

10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I see Barnes as a one deminsional player, he will score the ball alot but not much else. The only player from NC I'm interested in is John Henson he is a poor man's Camby in my eyes, Henson must do two things to help him out in the NBA, Bulk up which is very obvious and develop a post game.

11. bigreg

bigreg Member

I would take Barnes in a heartbeat, although his reluctance to take over games does concern me. I would also trade up for PJ III who I think will really transform his game with proper coaching and without the added stress of not being able to take care of his mom's medical needs. Of course this could all be rendered as useless conversation if Stern makes sure we get the #1 pick, I mean we win the lottery, and draft Anthony Davis, who could become our 2 or 5 of the future, depending on if he can convince the coaching staff to play him at shooting guard.

12. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Why does this guy always have two threads on the same article? Its so f****** annoying lol

13. Raven

Raven Member

Future? What future? We have a bunch of role players on decent contracts. Big deal. I'd trade every asset we have, all of them, for a top three pick.

14. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

None. I only see 5 players that I would trade the farm for, in order. 1) Davis, 2) Drummond, 3) Thomas, 4) Beal, 5) Lamb.

I'm on the fence about Sullinger, mainly because we have Patterson and Donuts. Both can be better than Sullinger if given the proper developmental time. With that said, Sullinger is such a beast on the offensive end. I think Morey will value him pretty high, maybe in the 5-8 range.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, I think you rate Barnes' potential too high. Saying "he's got all the natural ability in the world and can become as great as he wants to be" is a vast overstatement. This will become obvious when he goes up against NBA competition. At the next level, Barnes will go as far as his outside shooting will take him. If he was more athletic and explosive or his handles were all-world, it would be different.

I see him being a Rip Hamilton type of player but a better shooter. A SF version of O.J. Mayo.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Those are some fantastic prospects, but I am not sure I would trade the farm for any of them. I do not see Shaq, Lebron, or Duncan in this draft, but good players, though.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't think Barnes ceiling is as high as Parsons. I think Parsons is more athletic and a better defender. Barnes just seems like a guy that will never be much. He will have the occassional great game, maybe two or three in a row but then he will fade back into obscurity for weeks at a time. He seems like the kind of person that could be on the floor for an NBA team for 30 minutes and you might never even relize that he played.

I choose Moultrie

18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Barnes is all-hype at this moment. His hype from high school still has not died down. The most troubling aspect about Barnes as a prospect is how much of a hard worker he is, but he has not shown an tidbit of improvement in his handles, slashing, leadership or shooting since entering college.

He peaked in high school and will become a bench player in the NBA.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I'd like to see us move Lowry and one of our picks to Sacramento for thier pick and draft Drummond.

I don't care if he has bust potential, I think he is a high risk high reward player.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with this