1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harris-Perry: Ending drug war may be ‘best gun control measure we can enact’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I've been saying this for years.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/...may-be-best-gun-control-measure-we-can-enact/

End the war on drugs with decriminalization. Treat rather than incarcerate. See Portugal for details.

#1 Svpernaut, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Steve_Francis_rules

Ending the war on drugs may be one of the biggest steps we could take to reduce gun-related fatalities, but those aren't the deaths that are getting the attention and causing the public outcry, so it's not going to happen.

3. Svpernaut

Sadly, I believe you are right.

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I agree

however media doesn't talk about how violent crime has dropped 50% within the last 20 years, and has literally dropped every single year.

<iframe src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/media/embed/83000726" width="567" height="345" frameborder="0"></iframe>

#4 Realjad, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yep, nothing is likely to decrease crime like advertising to criminals that you are not very likely to have guns in your house. As a matter of fact, why stop there? Get rid of home security, bars, dogs, etc. I'm certain they are bound to respect your desire for peace with society and pass your house over for someone who is fully armed to the teeth and ready to protect his family.

6. Svpernaut

I agree, while crime has dropped the vast majority of violent crimes are still drug related. They don't report on it, because fear sells ad space. Also, look at the drug related crime increases in Latin America, that we are directly responsible for.

Wrong thread? This is about the drug war.

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Ooops, I meant to post on the other gun related thread. Sorry.

8. robrhodes

robrhodes Member

Don't the cartels use axes?

9. Svpernaut

The cartels use whatever they damn well please, including guns paid for by the US government. Thanks Eric Holder!

There were 15,273 drug related homicides in Mexico in 2010 alone. We should be ashamed. That's a population 1/3rd our size, with more murders than us.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Of financially incentivizing the drug trade? How exactly does expanding the demand help that?

11. Svpernaut

Decriminalizing drugs will not EXPAND the demand. If cocaine is legal tomorrow, people aren't going to go WOOHOO I CAN FINALLY DO COCAINE!

If you decriminalize them, demand goes down, prices decrease and people leave the drug trade... which decreases the violence.

How do I know? Because Portugal has done it successfully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this woman speaks the truth, although it wouldn't apply to mass shootings, which are statistically less of a problem, but much more easily exploited

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In general I agree that the war on drugs should be ended for a variety of reasons. That said I think some drugs like PCPs probably shouldn't be decriminalized.

14. split41

split41 Member

I think ending the war on drugs is a step in the right direction for society, but I don't think it's the "best gun control measure we can enact."

The FBI crime stats for murders caused by firearms in the US in 2011 was 8,583. This person says 800 in gang related deaths, which "a large percentage of which are connected to drug trafficking." So essentially she is estimating the number of drug-related gang deaths and also the number of which that are cause by firearms.

So really this only accounts for less than 9% of firearm deaths (if that), so I don't think this is "best gun control measure we can enact."

My 2 cents.