1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harris County Cop Shot execution style at a Gas Station

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenDice, Aug 28, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So which is it? What is the reason "in the first place?" You are now listing two reasons.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It was a Ranger. Those are small.

3. heypartner

Something tells me only a Texan would correct me on that. :)

Which reminds me. Why are there no pink trucks? We have an entire section for selling pink Aggie jerseys in the MSC.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

....nevermind. I see your in that mood where you are feeling argumentative or something. Nothing I said in the second post contradicts what I said in the first post. I didn't say there was one reason and one reason only.

5. heypartner

nah, I'm bored and trying to make you work for your point. Seems a little weak. You could stand to beef it up a little bit.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Go play a game or something.

Seems weak? Why do cops carry guns then? Enlighten me.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Blanket statements in reaction to tragedy are stoopid. Whatever was in the shooters head at the time he pulled the trigger is 100% individual and personal to him: his perceptions, his history, his sanity. Criminal acts don't exist in a vacuum, but you can't fully understand what is going on in another human brain either.

Anti-police? sure it's a real problem, systemic discrimination against blacks by police, yes it's a real problem; this shooting?
    dude may have kicked his dog, or voices told him to, you just don't, and may never know.

No it's not. You will never find a bigger supporter of the police than me. Their job is to constantly deal with the dregs of society, the most horrific violence imaginable, and daily stress that just crushes people. Their worth to civilization and civilized people is beyond compensation and it makes me sick that they aren't paid by their worth compared to those who sit in offices and manipulate money.

But, that being said, the police are tested, trained, vetted and supported. We should know somewhat what is in their heads and it should be protecting and serving all people.

8. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Breaking: <a href="https://twitter.com/HCSOTexas">@HCSOTexas</a> ready to announce arrest of suspect who killed Deputy Darren Goforth.</p>&mdash; Pooja Lodhia (@PoojaOnTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/PoojaOnTV/status/637725772786987008">August 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. heypartner

Uh. But this is an easy game.

To protect and serve others. Not themselves.

The Police Officer Creed: "As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property, to protect the innocent ..."

I'm ready for your next question.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That doesn't really explain why they have guns though.

You can serve mankind without a gun you know. LE around the world and not all of them carry guns.

I guess the idea that people carry firearms for defense is alien to you for some reason.

11. heypartner

Funny. I was going to post that very same comment to you, but I chose not to, because I figured your response would be contrarian like, "Oh, so your point is about gun control and taking guns away from LE."

Nah, my point is strictly about my first reply to your comment, "it's the reason cops have guns in the first place to protect themselves."

So, your next comment is going to be, "cops don't need guns to do their job. they have them *in the first place* to protect themselves while doing their job."

No they don't. They have them *in the first place* to protect us. A distant second, to protect themselves. It's the whole reason why police are trained not to shoot when civilians are in the line of fire, whereas criminals don't have that creed, since they only think about themselves.

Don't describe police officer motives for having guns the same as motives for criminals. "they have guns 'in the first place' for individual motives."

12. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Suspect in deputy murder identified as Shannon J Miles - 30 years old. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/abc13?src=hash">#abc13</a> <a href="http://t.co/ZaSMUxwACp">pic.twitter.com/ZaSMUxwACp</a></p>&mdash; Pooja Lodhia (@PoojaOnTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/PoojaOnTV/status/637740373033390080">August 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...inked-to-university-attended-by-sandra-bland/

14. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

obviously just trying to get an education :rolleyes:

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

smh

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UPDATE?src=hash">#UPDATE</a> HCSO provided an incorrect mugshot. Please see below Shannon J. Miles. <a href="http://t.co/BZZ6EEA1RW">pic.twitter.com/BZZ6EEA1RW</a></p>&mdash; MyFoxHouston (@MyFoxHouston) <a href="https://twitter.com/MyFoxHouston/status/637749402690416640">August 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i knew something was off about that mugshot...these guys aren't usually half asleep.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's just stupid that people here and IRL (I know many cops) are jumping to the blame game so quickly. I spend most summers in Vegas. I remember last summer, these two loons went up to a Cici's and murdered two cops eating, then the loons went to Walmart and yelled at everyone to get out. A citizen with a CHL confronted the man, and told him to put his hands up trying to stop the loons, then the woman loon came up from behind the citizen and killed him.

Criminals, loons, hate-filled people...they're all disgusting. And sadly, cops are themselves a target just for wearing the uniform whether it be because people are anti-government or hate police in general or because they're just out at night. I just remember last summer that instead of the blame game being prevalent (and I'm sure it went around and all the political issues were brought up), the most important thing was that the community supported the victims and came together to heal. I hope people don't lose focus on the priorities here. Then we can all return to poo-flinging and blaming later.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If the public outcry to reform law enforcement in the United States is the reason why this officer was gunned down, then Fox News rhetoric is partly to blame for Dylan Roof.

20. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Should the people who were protesting and rioting about the wrongful black deaths by cops also be doing something for the execution of a white cop by black man?

They should be equally outraged, otherwise they are saying, ONLY black lives matter. And that is racist, no?

I am just asking a simple question, not trying to stir up anything, even though I know it will be taken there. #alllivesmatter