1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrell is a BEAST!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Nuggets don't like Faried so I doubt they'd really want "a younger Faried"

2. Play07

Play07 Member

Yep because of spacing......

but his contract is something they could look at and trade faried later

3. rocketseagles07

I'm pretty sure that was shaw who didn't really like him because he's not a back to the basket pf. Agreed though no point in trading for a younger version of a player they already have

4. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sA2xS5hWrX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Missed the game while working today sadly. Wow. That was pretty awesome. Some violent dunks there.

6. Chamillionaire

Glad he's playing well. I thought we'd end up with one of the PFs (Harrell, Portis, Looney) with the 18th pick, can't believe he fell all the way to 32 and we got Woods as well. Incredible. If Dekker is the player who we think he can be, this draft produce 2 starters down the road.

7. hakeemthagreat

Reminds me of bigger Kenneth Faried. That's a good thing

8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It infuriated me when the Celts passed on Montrezl Harrell at no. 28, and it continues to infuriate me. <a href="http://t.co/5KSqUWsNQH">http://t.co/5KSqUWsNQH</a></p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/622288978570416129">July 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I thought Harrell might miraculously fall to Celts at 33, then Houston took him at 32. And that's when I texted <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey">@dmorey</a> -- &quot;YOU DICK.&quot;</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/622290160940486660">July 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons">@BillSimmons</a> better than being called &quot;Dork Elvis&quot;</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/622291439267921920">July 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

#128 redhotrox, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  9. JD88

JD88 Member

Told you. Steal of the draft.

He'll thrive in our run and gun playing style.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

damnnn those are some highlights there. looks like this guy will be a fan favorite for a long long time.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

LMAO!

12. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Yeah, not too early to make that judgment huh...

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Harrell is bigger. Faried weighs about 230 lbs. Harrell is at 260 lbs. Quite bigger.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Really 225 is SG and SF weight. Faried 230?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

MonShizzle is for real. Man, I wish he would be in his 3rd or 4th year already doing his thang.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's like the next Tarik Black we'll cut or trade for cap purposes

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Spacing generally isn't a problem with Faried because of his elite offensive rebounding, the way he runs the floor and his hard cuts to the rim.

He's similar to guys like Rodman and Ben Wallace. They couldn't shoot the ball, yet you always had to account for them and couldn't leave them. If you didn't keep a body on Rodman or Wallace then you were turning them loose to offensive rebound.

Here's a good Zach Lowe article where he quotes George Karl about how teams were actually doubling on Faried because of his offensive rebounding.

Karl says that during last year’s first-round series, the Warriors sent an extra player, usually a guard, down toward the paint on Denver shot attempts just to help box out Faried.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/kenneth-faried-manimal-evolution-denver-nuggets/

Faried is elite at several things, offensive rebounding, running the floor and cutting to the hoop. You have to body him to keep him off the glass, you have to pay attention to him diving to the hoop to receive a pass for a dunk and he runs the floor and draws defenders to open up transition 3's. Faried does have a major weakness though and that's that he's not a very good defender.

Harrell has those same positives plus he's bigger, stronger and has a better offensive game than Faried did when he entered the league. The big difference tthough for Harrell is that he's a much better defender than Faried was entering the league.

If Harrell can play with that same kind of manic energy that Faried does, then the spacing will be fine. Just like Tristian Thompson doesn't screw up the Cavs spacing (because of his offensive rebounding), Harrell should't adversely affect ours.

Personally, I look forward to seeing him crash the offensive boards and can't wait to see him out running full speed on the fast break with Harden and Brewer. That should be fun.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Faried is quicker than Harrell - his feet are always moving. He anticipates and works hard for rebounding position

Watch Harrell when the ball is in the air, you will notice he is too often standing stiff, watching, slow to react. It is admittedly a SSS, so perhaps he was tired at those moments of the game I was focused on him?

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would say 225 is kind of big for a shooting guard. James Harden is listed as 225 and he is one of the bigger, stronger (not taller) shooting guards in the league.

Ariza - 215
    Beverly - 210
    Brewer - 185
    McDaniels - 200
    Marcus Thornton - 205

Lebron James who is probably the biggest and most powerful SF in the game is listed as 6'8" and 250. He is bigger than Faried who is also 6'8" so 230 does not shock me.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Faried is definitely quicker, no doubt , just as Harrell is much stronger. They both accomplish the same thing using their individual strengths. It's similar to Rodman and Wallace. Rodman was much quicker than Wallace and he too always had his feet moving while Wallace could just overpower people.

The common trait for Rodman, Wallace, Faried and Harrell is the crazy energy level that they play at. Add to that another elite trait (quickness or strength) and the results can be great.