1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I definitely agree with you.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd definitely rather have LMA or Kevin Love than either guy... but that seems like a long shot, too.

Faried is an upgrade. Aside from not being quite the 3 point shooter TJones is - which isn't saying much, Terrence shot 15% from 3 in the post-season - I think he does everything else as well or better than Terrence... and brings a lot more energy, which this team sorely lacked at times.

If there was a way to do it, I'd be happy just trading Dwight for Lawson plus say Denver's 7th pick. I don't think that's possible, though, but if it was it would clear out a ton of cap space. Then I'd go sign Gasol, DeAndre, Love or Aldridge, and have the 7th pick in the draft.

At the end of the day I think Denver is high on Jusuf, and if trading Lawson probably want more younger, better talent back. Or draft picks.

I just would trade Dwight if the return was an all-star level player on a couple year contract under paid and cap space... IF there was surety that one of Love, LMA, Gasol, DeAndre Jordan would sign with that cap space.

I'm not a Dwight hater, but (1) two years of seeing him struggle offensively, all the way to hack-a-Dwights, (2) two years of seeing him do well in the playoffs not really move the needle anyway.. which points to the way the league is becoming guard oriented. Great against the Blazers... didn't help. Had solid play this post-season. Didn't really meaningfully impact W/L the way you'd hope a great Dwight Howard would.. and most importantly, (3) his $22 million price tag lead me to believe he's a COG that is the perfect combination of being able to return a solid package that fills needs elsewhere, while also better balancing the cap situation of the team.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agree with this. It's true...

Yep... which is precisely the reason I'd be in favor of trading him. Overpaid and aging, even if still extremely valuable.

In any case, I'd still love to add Lawson, but I don't really see how, without trading Ariza, and I don't think that improves the team.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

no way. he sucks and took Dallas down with him.

Say to to RONDO!!!

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Bring in JJ Barea as a backup to replace Prigioni. No brainer.

High energy guy, good motor, plus shooter and instant offense off the bench.

6. malakas

malakas Member

To trade him u must find a partner.
    Right now i think ny and boston. Noone else. And thats debatable. His history has made trading for him extremely risky.

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Faried and Lawson sure arent helping your defense

Your point about Dwight may be true but thw rockets were basically a dwight injury and Harden blunder from going up 2-0 against the warriors

The team made it to the WCF missing 2 starters. Do you really a Lineup of Lawson-Harden-Ariza-Faried-Dmo is going to go farther then Bev-Harden-Ariza-Dmo-Howard?

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

1. Lowry (if available)
    2. Lawson
    3. Rondo

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i used to like him too, but for some reason, he's forgotten how to play over the last 2 years.

Lawson or Conley please. Lull is another option. Not including Lowery because he's under contract with TO and don't see him getting moved.

10. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

What's to say the player you bring in for Dmo gets injured. You have to look at players assuming health unless they have some type of injury history. Dmo has improved each year and will probably be better next year. Outside of a couple guys there are no players that would give you more than a marginal increase at the position. Why would you gut the roster for that? Dmo is young, on a cheap contract, and improving every year. This team needs a pg. The pf situation is fine.

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I see no problem with him voicing this publicly. The need for a secondary creator was glaring by November, and I think most were surprised it went largely unaddressed at the deadline -- maybe Harden was, too. I think Morey certainly would have addressed it this summer, but this definitely adds pressure.

As for Bev -- I'm the biggest Bev fan out there, but if returning to a bench role would make him want to bolt, then I wish him the best of luck going forward. It's not like he's a skilled creator and Harden is seeking an upgrade. Harden is seeking someone with a specific skill Bev does not have -- one that has become more essential this season than last -- so I don't even view it as a knock on him. Bev would be great off the bench, and part of building a championship caliber squad is having guys buy into their roles when it's clearly best for the team (see, e.g., David Lee & Iggy).

This should end the 3-year old debate about Harden being unwilling to play with someone who would take the ball out of his hands. I suspect the answer has always been that he is willing to do it if it's someone he trusts.

1 person likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Dmo if healthy next year will get a max offer tho. No more cheap.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Why on earth would Portland do this deal?

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

The Rockets will improve to a 63 win team next year, Golden State will regress to about 58 wins after they sign Draymond to a Max and have to trade away some key role players to make the room. Rockets with # 1 seed and roles will be reversed in the WCF next year. Rockets will win 4-1 with Curry breaking the NBA record for most turnovers with 14.

15. RESINator

RESINator Member

When a superstar demands, you best be on your knees kissing his feet and pampering him!

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

nobody outside of a select few on this board believe that. dmo is not receiving a max over

17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Most of the time, reporters press you with a question, and you either duck it or answer it. "That's one of the conversations" sounds like Harden's way of admitting something Berman has put to him, and simultaneously trying to broaden the conversation so it's NOT just focused on one position.

This is not a calling out.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....you guys know what Morey is going to do - make a big non-splash like bring in George Hill or Ricky Rubio. Actually, there is some truth to the theory that any PG in Houston doesn't necessarily have to be a great passer which gives Morey a bit of a different(potentially undervalued players for this skill set since we don't need a traditional PG) market to scour. He will likely be looking for guys who are basically 3 and D guys but who can handle the ball as a PG although there isn't a lot of that available necessarily. Here is my guess of players Morey might be targeting:

George Hill
    Ricky Rubio
    CJ Watson
    Mario Chalmers
    Jordan Clarkson
    Ty Lawson
    ....some Euro/South American player none of us have heard of.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It would be nice if the Rockets could finally win 60 games in a season. Given how competitive the West is and the likelihood that the Warriors will not be as good(they'll lose Barbosa and maybe Speights and can't possibly be as lucky healthwise), that might be enough for the #1 seed.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...I'm leaning towards Mario Chalmers.