1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Explain why. Explain how that makes the Rockets worse before spouting off?

Lawson and Faried both get paid about half as much as Dwight (meaning you are in the same cap situation you are right now, where you can find ways to make room and add another significant piece), both are 27 or younger, both play in 70 plus games a year, and both address positions of need.

Say DM could flip Dwight+ for Lawson, Faried and then make room to sign someone like Tyson Chandler. That team, on paper, is way better.

Losing Dwight would create a new position of need... but frankly, center is not that important a position anymore. Absent someone that could be a truly dominant center - maybe a DeMarcus Cousins - I'd rather have my center be a solid solid role player.

For all the good Dwight provided - defense and rebounding - in the playoffs, he was equally bad at times. It's nice to point to Harden's struggles in game 5. Which completely overlooks the fact that McHale tried to run a Dwight-centric offense to start the 2nd quarter, and the Warriors went on a 10-0 run before Harden was forced back into the game, with not enough rest. It overlooks the fact that Dwight again made stupid fouls, and twice just threw random balls into the stands - meaning Dwight also had a WTF game. The only surprise was his FT shooting was actually competent. Offensively it was more par for the course than WTF. His best playoff quarter was the Game 6 4th against the Clippers where he completely controlled the defense and didn't care about the offensive side. I'd love THAT Dwight all the time... if that Dwight was paid $16 million a year instead of $22 million, and would actually play like that.... which he doesn't.

I'm not sure why people are all aboard the Dwight bandwagon?? As far as second fiddles go, I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have Blake, Klay, Kyrie, Butler, Gasol (or Conley, whoever is the second fiddle there), Westbrook than Dwight.

The Rockets weren't exactly good defensively in the playoffs anyway. They were better with Dwight, and they played amazing offensive opponents, but they still weren't good. In fact, during the regular season, they were seemingly better defensively when DMo was healthy regardless of whether or not Dwight was...

But hey, what do I know?

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Haha! He was making sense with our PG needs, then he went off the track!

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

:cool:

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Faried would kill spacing even more than Jones and he also is a bad defender.

Look at how packed the paint is already for Harden when he has to drive into the paint.

5. Man

Man Contributing Member

Guys and girls, who do we get? My current priority ranking.. anyone else available and optimal?

Conley, Lowry, Lawson, Beverley, Rozier, Sessions, Jameer, Lull, Brooks

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's not a beast. He's an above average starting PF. Would have been the best PF for this squad in the playoffs if healthy.

Also, you can't just hope for good health. Everybody has injuries, all the time. The Warriors are generally the exception.. but it's not like they were 100% injury free either. Speights was out. Bogut missed in the regular season. They just have incredible depth... they found their star guys and got them on cheap contracts after fixing their cap issues.

DMo is definitely a keeper, but you don't ignore upgrading or adding depth, if you can

7. Play07

Play07 Member

the thing is we need a PG but we also need a PF to shoot to make the offense work..

another playmaker is good but hes has to have to have someone to make plays with.

we dont need major upgrades at both spot, one SOLID upgrade at PG and a PF who can shoot is fine

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I don't think your trade ideas are broken or something, but might send wrong message to future star FA players, especially since Morey is claiming to be all about chemistry now... I also don't think Les would ever agree to get rid of a big name still producing, it's just bad business.

9. malakas

malakas Member

The only possibillity is indy to commit to the re build.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well don't forget that he and Dwight are the cornerstones while the rest are just "role players".

#90 HillBoy, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Very few teams would trade for Dwight in the first place right now. No small maket team would.

12. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Dragic was there, but Les prefer make business with Lin :mad:

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Harden wasn't here then

14. Man

Man Contributing Member

Mike Conley
    Kyle Lowry
    Ty Lawson
    Patrick Beverley
    Terry Rozier
    Ramon Sessions
    Brandon Knight
    Jameer Nelson
    [Sergio Lull]
    Mario Chalmers
    Avery Bradley
    Jarrett Jack
    George Hill
    Rajon Rondo
    Mo Williams
    Patty Mills
    JJ Barea
    Steve Blake
    Aaron Brooks
    Kirk Hinrich

#94 Man, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

What's interesting is if houston did manage to upgrade the pg for DMo during the season (especially if we could have known he was done) it could have changed a lot... But now that he's coming off injury might as well keep developing him. I know it's a what if scenario (and I think most of us here didn't immediately picture WCFs), but man everything was aligning and it could have been the difference.

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Since we are throwing out absurd suggestions... why not Parker or Chris Paul? Heck, let's go after Westbrook.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The thing is we need TWO new PGs.

1) Replacement for BEV (IDK realistically who is both avail and affordable. Knight, Jackson, Dragic, Rondo, Conley, etc.. all want to get paid)

2) 1st bench option replacement for Jet, Prigs. (Brooks, JJBarea, MoWill, Hinrich,etc...)

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

For sure! He needs to put down the koolaid and report to rehab immediately.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That has nothing to do with it. Morey didn't agree to the player option. Nevertheless, if the player option was getting in the way of creating cap space for Howard, then it's a moot point.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, AB back again for a 3rd stint?? Might as well retire his jersey, haha. ;)