1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Rubio gets lit up by every point guard he guards, this is coming from a person that watched a lot of wolves ball this season(wiggins fan). Ricky is a great playmaker but he would be even better if he was a offensive threat. Don't get me wrong I would love to develop Rubio here maybe we can put him on the make 200 corner threes before you go home deal. But do we really want the contract?

The wolves really want DeAngelo Russell. And If they know whats good for them they would pick him #1 but they **** up so much.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Zero. Morey doesn't want him.

3. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I would only take Rondo on a minimum. 1 year deal . I'm sure he's gonna want to prove himself after the disaster we all saw coming in Dallas. He wants to get paid like everybody else when the cap rises.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Rubio is worst than Rondo. I'd take Rondo over a guy that is just irrelevant to nba success at his position and on his team.

5. PointZero

PointZero Member

Just go with Beverley backed up by 6'5" point guard Delon Wright drafted with the 18th pick.

Delon Wright is perfect for this team. Go watch his video breakdown at DX and you'll see.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Someone mentioned his name and I kinda got to thinking old school basketball. Who was the pg of the celtics of the 80s? I bring this up and look at value and what he could bring. The name someone already mentioned, oj mayo. I thought about it a lot more and given his age (27) his versitility, salary,and production when he starts, i think he can be an option. He's guy who plays and produces alot better when he starts. Now lawson is my guy and my 1st choice,but to get a guy like mayo and pair him in the backcourt with harden would work. Mayo is a good ball handler and makes good decisions with the ball. He's a pretty good shooter both off the bounce and spotting up. He can get the rockets in their offense and set harden up as well. When harden needs a break, mayo slides to the off guard and whomever the backup pg is runs the show and everything is fine. In this age of basketball is really the regurgitation of 80s hoops. 2 guards,2 forwards,and a center. Mchale and bird started together,who was the pf and who was the sf? Better yet,who was the pg with dj and ainge? Priced at 8m, it would still give the rockets options going forward and satisfy their need of adding another playmaker.

7. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

We r in a win now mode, we can't afford to roll with a rookie, we need experience

8. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I haven't seen much of Mayo, but I always saw him as a bit of a chucker. He has pure shooting form and all, but for some reason has always been a little streaky. And he's not known for defense either.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When he played with good players (dallas) he played under control and in the system. 12 shots a game is not a chucker.

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

If we can't get someone like Lawson or Lowry, how about a trade with the Kings? Just throwing this out there. May not be enough but it would definitely help.

Jones/Pap for Collison/Sauce Castillo.

Kings get a PF that can grow with Cousins. They also have those Kentucky ties.
    Definitely would not give up the NOP pick. Doubt they give up the NY 2nd rounder either. Maybe we can add a future pick in there.

Collison is a slightly above average 3 point shooter, good pick and roll player, and solid playmaker. He's also above average on defense (remember how he gave James fits when he was with the Clippers?). Stauskas was awesome in college and was a former #10 pick. Kings most likely aren't using his talents correctly. He would be a good shooter off the bench and has the ability to handle the ball too.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

OJ is a nice option.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Im the one who mentioned Mayo.

Mayo this year (I wont bring last year because it was a trainwreck in a tanking team and his grandma died and possibly he had depression)
    His defence in the system is good. He tries and gets steals. And if you have seen the defence charts someone made he was one of the best sgs in defence. But the defensive system he plays in is better than the Rockets and requires a lot of discipline and rotations and switching. So in a good system he can be a plus defender.
    He is a very good shooter. He playmakes for a SG and throws nice lobs and is a good in the fastbreak.
    He is NOT a pg. You cant have him as the main initiator of offence and the primary ballhandler.
    He needs to be motivated and have a goal and a defined role. This is extremely important otherwise he will fade.
    He wont be able to cover for Hardens lack of defence and he wont be able to be the main playmaker.
    imo he is a good fit next to Harden provided Harden tries and is not a complete blackhole. Certainly much better than some other names thrown here like avery bradley.

He is owed 8 next year and then he expires. His team is in no hurry to trade him away and shed his salary unless it gets a little incentive. So Im not sure what kind of trade would work exactly here for both teams. Hes not unavailable but if hes traded will be more likely in a package.
    I personally as a Bucks fan am very satisfied with his perfomance this year and his showing in the playoffs where he sticked it to Buttler and got "oj sucks" by angry Bulls fans. When you are a roleplayer and get chants you should be proud. And dont want to see him go at all because he is one of the lockeroom leaders.

If nothing else comes up for a good pg I would keep him on the radar.

13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

No 1st tier guard and no up and coming 2nd tier guard is coming here. That leaves us with rooks and vets and God forbid....scrubs.

d12bm

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And you base this on what? Give us a source, genius. It must be the same "source" that said we would never get James Harden, or Dwight Howard, or Brewer and Smith mid-season.

With all respect due, people like you are a complete waste of space in the GARM. In my humble opinion.

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

With all due respect as well, why would I give a "source" for an opinion hoss? But's let's play your game for a sec and assume that in any way, shape, or form I claimed or even hinted that was inside information....what kind of idiot "source" would give that kind of unverifiable and subjective information? And I am asking with all due respect of course. Anyway, no point in arguing my opinion. I'm sure that in a few months, we'll see if my awesome premonition is valid. :cool:

16. Chamillionaire

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KmZW9hG5098" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Words don't do how he played this year. He was schooling just about everyone everynight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p6huUqLbNKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We need another shooter and a facilitator. NO to Tyus Jones please.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm giving an "opinion" as well. That posts of your ilk are something I get quite tired of reading. The negativity after the Rocks had a tremendous season while battling an endless series of injuries to key players, winning 56 games and getting to the WC Finals, easily the finest year we've had since "only" 1997, which saw Morey dealing mid-season for guys who had a large role in making it all happen. A season that gave us a much improved year for both Harden and Donatas. A season that renewed the career of Josh Smith, something else Morey had "nothing" to do with, "only" getting Smith to sign here. Morey being the guy that is busy trying to fill the obvious weakness we have at the point, yes, the same guy you slammed last night by saying, to paraphrase, that Morey had no hope of filling the position with anyone of real quality.

Yeah. That's enough of an answer to you, sir, except to add a request that you continue to study the meaning of sarcasm, obviously a weakness in your education. Good luck with that and have a nice Sunday.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ohhhhh snap! In the face!

19. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Yeah, my sarcasm meter must have been broken...and still is.

I get that you don't appreciate the extreme negativity expressed by some ppl here. Same here. I, too, am extremely proud of what our team has accomplished. I also am greatly appreciative of what Morey has accomplished here. But your little rant has absolutely nothing to do with what I stated. You might want to focus on that instead of assuming things and making generalizations to justify your opinion of me.

With that said, I still stand by my opinion...it's going to be nearly impossible for us to sign a 1st or promising 2nd tier guard. Why? Mainly, because of human nature and the type of player James is (meaning his playing style). It's not so much of the aptitude of Morey, it's about any guard's willingness to come here and play a very, very specific role.
    To my knowledge there aren't any 1st tier guards available this summer and even if there were, most would not want to come here unless they are somehow guaranteed a similar role. As far as promising 2nd tier guards go, they want to showcase their talents as much as possible for obvious reasons. That leaves the rooks and vets. Chances are Morey will be able to sign a rook with great upside or a decent vet; however, if he can somehow manage to do more, then I would be happily wrong.
    Damn, I'm way over my word limit for posts. That is all and good day.

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I prefer Grant at the point, already has an NBA body and plays the PG position with a good jump shot. Finishes and passes at the rim very well..