1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Exactly. Also, look at his previous quotes as well. He has stated he wants to keep this core together and improve upon it. He isn't asking for an overhaul, just a tweak. That could mean keeping Bev, but honestly, I think Bev leaving has more to do with Bev than the Rockets not wanting him. If the price is right, Bev stays. But, Bev, a 37 year old Terry and Nick Johnson aren't enough. I don't know why people think Harden saying that is necessarily an attack on any of those three...

1 person likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am torn.

On one hand, I like how Harden recognizes the help he needs.

On the other hand, it's not good when a player publicly comments that his teammates aren't good enough. Some other stars did that and the dramas didn't end well.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

It's on him now and hopefully, that's his mindset.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I piss and moan about the need for a PG like every other month and people always get down on me for it. Thank you James.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are wrong. Nearly everyone on this board has been in agreement they needed to upgrade at the PG spot.

The only thing people disagreed with you was whether it was egregious that Morey didn't trade for Mo Williams.

You still don't get that the timeline mattered. If you had told Morey before Mo was traded that come trade deadline Dragic would refuse to come here and the best he could do was Prigioni, I'm sure he would have jumped for Mo Williams. However, when Mo Williams was traded, Beverly was healthy and Maory was thinking, along with many national pundits, that the Rockets could snag Dragic. The goal was upgrading over Bev, not spending assets on a backup.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yeah, but when you do it it's annoying. Maybe if you grew an awesome beard I would listen to you more often. ;):grin:

All kidding aside, I don't think the Rockets ever planned to be so devoid at the PG spot. Canaan never grew into what he should have. Bev getting injured wasn't in the cards, and getting passed the Clips was just gravy for a team that just wanted to move on from 0.9 seconds.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

There is a difference between voicing it out and keeping it private.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i'm not sure bev wouldn't mind coming off the bench - he's no better than smith and brewer respectively. shipping out jones, the nop pick and fillers for a top tier pg is literally the best move we can make and gives us a hella deep rotation:

new pg/bev/terry
    harden/terry
    ariza/brewer
    dmo/smith
    howard/capela

just have to find a sharp shooting guard to come off the bench.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's bringing it up now and rightfully so because of obviously their run in the playoffs. Bev has always been a bench pg and if he accepts that, only makes this team deeper. imo i think he knows that.

10. Man

Man Contributing Member

We will see the reactions. Yeah, usually you just keep mum about it.

I think everyone knows we need help though.

11. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Can we PLEASE stop saying we need an upgrade at PF. Dmo is a beast that is only 24. A rotation of him and either Jones/Smith is one of the best in the league. We need a serviceable starting pg like George Hill or Sergio Llull and good health and this team can compete for a title.

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Byebye Bev?

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not sure there are enough minutes for a sharp shooter on the bench AND Brewer.

Brewer wants to get paid. He isn't going to sign a cheap one year deal. Is he going to get a good contract from the Rockets to split backup minutes at the 2 (almost 0) and 3 (not many more)? He played 25 minutes per game with the Rockets this year. Would he be happy having that cut to 15? Would the Rockets want to pay him his market value if that's all he would get?

Of all the players on this team that are free agents, Brewer is the one I think is the most likely to leave. Hopefully it's via sign and trade to create a big trade exception or get a rotational player.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

All pointing to Lull. I think that's Morey's plan. He talks about stability, so doesn't sound like he is going to something drastic to bring in a PG commanding over 10 mil/year. Put things in perspective, a star PG or somebody like Love/Aldridge (both are probably long shots). Rondo is going to be available given his relationship with Smith and Howard, but do we really want him and does Harden really want him. Dragic? Does he want to come here? Hill, someone mentioned him, but is he someone in Harden's mind? Harden is forcing a little here. Interesting.

15. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I'm sure Harden is aware that Bev is a FA which should make Bev's feelings irrelevant. Even if Beverley is back, we still need an upgrade to depth. I like Harden running the point in spurts, but not the entirety of the game. We are going to have some tough decisions to make on the current roster.

16. DuDDleyDawsonII

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Harden could be talking about a play maker at guard off the bench or whatever.

Either way, he's right. PG is the team's biggest issue.

People get down on you because you piss and moan and don't add anything of value; you just regurgitate points already made by others in a competent manner in your own special whiny way.

18. Man

Man Contributing Member

But if you can get a better PF, do you go for it?

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

PG is definitely in need of an upgrade but what Harden really needs is just another person to take over the offense and create when he cant. D-Mo can actually fit the bill when he returns to his old self and remains posting up

20. houseofglass21

I think Rondo would fit in great with Howard and Smith. I doubt he would have the attitude problems here, not having to deal with Carlisle and Cuban anymore.