1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to have role in picking new coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Apr 27, 2016.

1. SemisolidSnake

Well, that's depressing. James is extremely talented but young and immature. What he needs is someone to kill his bad habits dead and work on accentuating his abilities within the team framework to make him even more deadly, NOT someone that's simply going to cater to the way he already is.

We don't want a coach that James simply likes; we want one that he RESPECTS, whether he has a choice or not. For God's sake, Les, it's your team, and you expect it to get better by letting the players pick their boss? More money than sense.

If this is how they're going to choose a coach, then expect more of this year next year. James is going to leave when his contract is up unless the team suddenly shows serious contender potential. He'll then either pick a team with a good coach and start wrecking the entire league, or he'll pick a team with an easy coach and fade into the sadness of lost potential. Either way, the Rockets pay for it for years after he's gone.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocketeer4Life

The Rockets culture is definitely messed up from the owner down to the players. Having your best player choose your coach eliminates any checks and balances in the team and organization. In other words, the player will have more authority than the coach which takes out any coach- player accountability and discipline.

1 person likes this.
  3. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Well Memphis is already considering bringing back Hollins. There is your precedent.

From realgm.com
    The Memphis Grizzlies are considering rehiring Lionel Hollins as head coach.

The Grizzlies didn't renew Hollins' contract after the 12-13 season and hired Dave Joerger, who was fired last week.

Hollins spent a season and a half as head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

Hollins would be a popular hire as he's maintained a strong relationship with the Grizzlies' core.

Don't be surprised!!! I think Mchale is the only coach out there that doesn't mind the way the Rockets do business.

If Mchale and Mchale's wife and James Harden can mend fences I think it can happen.

#83 ballplayer, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Prove it;)

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Coach Khloe Kardashian

6. spark06

spark06 Member

James Harden doesn't even know how to pick a woman, much less a coach.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Totally Totally Totally agree with you...

This is by far the most idiotic BS that I have ever seen...

Let prisoner pick his Warden....

T_Man

8. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

Harden is using the Spread sheet Maury handed him for "Statistical Anal-isys of how to pick a woman". Its the same algorithm Murry used to pick the draft picks.
    That is why Harden is involved with all those classy woman.

Bell Curves never lie ;)

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Bump

Is there any doubt that Harden is/was in favor of the D'antoni hire? Played for him on the 2012 olympic team where MD was an assistant. MD isn't a hard nosed defense guru or strong personality that would rub James the wrong way.

One thing with this coaching search that I have thought all along is that they were going to have to be careful what kind of personality they brought in (not that I agree with this), but it could backfire if James doesn't respond to tough love.

Could this have been Les and James outweighing Morey? I don't suspect that Morey absolutely hates the hire, but I have to believe that MD wasn't his top choice.

10. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I think its more of a matter of Les outweighing Morey

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Team hiring is important for fit. So I agree with it. It's part of what extends the process to hire, but critical to getting commitment, not cancers, out of most everyone. Some players will get cut, and some players will resent those cuts and then get cut, but to get the best possible team result and buy in you need Harden on Board. It's up to Harden to identify his weakness and cover it up.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This has Les Alexander's fingerprints all over it.

13. Mr Chuck Norris

Were blaming harden for this too?!

1 person likes this.
  14. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Countdown to when Harden demands trade. #Pursuit... of a new team.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Short answer: yes, there is doubt. Plenty of it.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Not blaming Harden. Just insinuating that it probably played a role in the decision and helped boost MD in Les' eyes.

You bring in an unknown to Harden like Borrego or Silas and who knows what that relationship will be like.

MD feels like a safe, comfortable hire.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Nate McMillan was also on the coaching staff and was also available.

In this day of social media coverage, you'd think if Harden was a big proponent in D'Antoni's hire it would have came out already. But nope, we haven't heard anything at all.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't get the impression that Harden would nix or advocate for any single guy all that much. I think whoever is presenting the candidate to him would be able to sell him on it fairly easily.

There is no evidence that tells me to put this on Harden's shoulders.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

disagree. none whatsoever. MDA is Harden's choice. ;)

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I strongly suspect Harden was barely involved in the process.