1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden slump

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Dec 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes if you discount the games where he was good and take away two wins - he wouldn't be as good an the Rox would have 2 fewer wins.

2. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I rather see Harden with 20,5,5 and wins with rest versus 30 plus and win with no rest.....if Houston gels that's all it will need to take for the team to go far.

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Harden being primary ball handler turn over way too much. If Lin does the same, everyone will be crying for answer lol.

1 person likes this.
  4. kozmo

kozmo Member

i agree with this

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If you take away the Rockets 8 wins, they are 0-7.

1 person likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He just needs to calm down.

These big games he tries too much at times, maybe to prove all the doubters wrong. Once he just calms down and stops worrying about it he'll be fine.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Should we worry?

No, it is too early to worry.

He's jumpers are not consistent.

That has been a problem since he joined the team.

But, Harden knows what to do with the ball.

He is still lethal with his euro step and assists.

If he can't shoot jumpers, the euro step is there to help him.

So he either makes it or get a foul call, either way is a win situation.

But if the refs are not calling it, his assists is still there to help the team.

If everything is not working out, he still tries to help the team even in smaller ways.

His rebounds shows that.

8. Roddimus

Roddimus Member

Agreed, I dont expect him to be our Kobe/Lebron/MJ, at least not yet. I think he needs some time to develop and learn new skills to help him over come being focus of defensive schemes. He also needs to learn how to do something besides his euro-step lay-up. It seems like half his BA and TO come from doing this and players already expecting it.

But I'll be more than happy if he can average 20+ ppg /4ast/4rbd. I look foward to see what moves we make with FA and what not.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

He is too predictable with his isolation plays. Goes left then stick the ball out and does the euro step.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

We have a great record for the youngest roster in the league. "Should we be worried?" Are you complaining or just moaning? The inverse question therefore is "The Rockets roster is stepping up big time. Is it due to the overbearing attention that the defenses are showing Harden?" There you go - a new thread idea for you. I think I could make a tight case for it.

2 people like this.
  11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

With such a young team, he is probably the only one on the scouting report defenses are geared to stop him and him only. Make Lin, Parsons and everyone else shoot. So far, different players are stepping up in different games.

Remember, Harden is adjusting to a new role as well. The star and franchise player, the starter, Harden has to learn to pace himself and learn what todo when he gets the strong double team. He's progressing quite well aside from the OKC game. I'll chalk that up to him trying to show up OKC and as a result, tried to do too much by himself.

Don't worry about Harden. He's got the right work ethic, willingness to improve and understands his role as the Houston Rockets' franchise player.

12. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

I agree with both. Harden went from 6th man to #1 option. They need to be careful with his minutes. If you take out the Jazz game I am sure he is averaging close to 40 mpg.

Harden is also dealing with the change in schemes. Teams are focusing in on him and he is still learning to adjust.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardeja01/shooting/2012/
    http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/shotchart/1112-James-Harden
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/41491/title-tk-the-james-harden-kevin-martin-shot-chart-comparison

Just look at his shot chart last year and look at it now. He was praised for his efficiency and shot choice last year because most of his shots come from the three point line or close to the rim. He is taking a lot more mid range jumpers this year because of the attention he is getting from help defenders. According to the site he took 64 shots between 16ft out and 3-point line. He has taken close to half of that in 16 games this year.

13. rokit

rokit Member

well i'm glad he finally stopped forcing things in the crunch time

14. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

I like it how harden takes it right at kobe or anyone. He is fearless and has a natural instinct.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'd be worried if he didn't know how to get to the line or get others involved. He still needs to shoot better though.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's 23 and he's averaging those numbers....

Y'all can be worried, but I'm not

17. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I'm not that worried. If he had terrible shot selections and didn't contribute in other aspects of the game, then I would be worried. He has been getting good looks, but has had problems knocking them down. He just needs to continue his development as a player and then eventually be hitting down these shots.

Before anyone starts doubting that Harden is a star, you have to ask yourself what makes a star.

-He creates for himself and others. Check
    -Great size, athleticism.Check
    -Potential to be a great defender.Check
    -High IQ.Check
    -Clutch. Needs to get better.

So lets not start hating on him.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Just like Tmac, he averages more on the road than he does at home.

Must be the depth perception.

19. psk

psk Member

once we have a true #2 option things will be a LOT easier for him. he is still learning to deal with the defenses thrown at him as being the #1 option of the team.

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

+1 Harden needs more rest. He played the entire first quarter today and clearly had to pace himself.

Rockets also need an inside threat and defensive presence (tough guy) alongside Asik. That is why we need Greg Smith. I have asked to start Smith at PF since the preseason. Smith made incredible catches today, great finishes, didn't rush anything and was not intimidated (he is a MAN among boys like Patterson, Morris, and Jones), and played tough D. That opens up the driving lanes for Harden.