1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden signs extension with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clutch citizen, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Are you happy with Harden's contract extension?

1. Yes - Harden is the franchise player.

410 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No - This messes up our cap situation.

38 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Yet in another news, people will keep b****ing about the Rockets for keeping Bev as the worse starting pg in the league, while cursing Morey not to bring in another quality upgrade.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1st I heard of this

Rocket River

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

any video of JH?

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Dude say quiet u have no idea of what you are talking about

5. Asian Sensation

Not surprised. Literally shocked. Is there such a thing as pleasantly shocked? Well I am.

6. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I believe the Warriors will be able to go over the CAP to resign Curry to a max contract. However they will need to clear enough space to resign KD if he opts out of the 2nd year of his contract. If KD decides to opt in then the Warriors don't have to clear $5 mil or so of salary to get under the CAP to resign him. That would be sacrificing for the good of the team. I doubt it happens but who knows?

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Great news! No drama after next season in regards to Harden. This is something you don't see happen very often any more. I'm glad that James has decided this is where he wants to be for at least the next 4 years.

8. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

It's 3 years under contract plus a player option.

A big what if.

Say the next two seasons are disappointing. Either .500 basketball or first round exits from the playoffs. Harden has one more year under contract plus a player option, but he demands a trade.

Do you grant his wish and lose the $20 mil you paid for the extra year or do you play hardball?

9. lastreg

lastreg Member

gary says "Great salary for someone who is a gunner and plays no defense."

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not going to sing hardens praises for this. He essentially got $50 million to add one year. Who wouldn't do that?

11. lastreg

lastreg Member

I wish you could still be pleasantly shocked at the end of four more years of mediocrity as a team.

I am not very happy on building a team around someone plays no defense.

12. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Let's trade for jimmy butler and build around him. Great defender..

:rolleyes:

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If over the next two seasons we're still playing .500 ball and the FO hasn't been able to demonstrate they're capable of making moves then I'd imagine it'd be mutually benifical for everyone to move on at that point and start rebuilding the roster and even FO.

14. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yeah, this was an absolute no-brainer for Harden. For the Rockets it makes them look more defined and not have the Harden FA question hanging over them next offseason, but how good are they really and how do they make any real improvement for the future because now they are essentially out of the max FA talk without significant trades? The only way this makes cap sense for the Rockets is if a "max" is removed or significantly increased in the next CBA talks.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree. I thought it made sense for both Harden and the Rockets. They both got something out of it that they wanted. They also both gave up something.

I wonder who came up with this idea of the new contract, Harden or the Rockets?

Compare this deal with Harden to what Duncan did for the Spurs, and Dirk did for the Mavs. Would Harden have been content with his original contract if the Rockets could have acquired a true superstar.

16. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Easily the best news of the off season. With only two years left on the clock, building a contender to keep Harden here was a tricky proposition. This could greatly increase the prospects for that to succeed.

That said, this in itself locks Harden up for an extra season — hardly long term. The most pragmatic view is that Harden gave the team an extra guaranteed year in exchange for a (well deserved) pay increase. Might be loyalty and good will from both sides in this, but this deal would make sense regardless.

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

18. Red Glares

Red Glares Member

This signing of Harden shows he has class and respect for building Houston.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I echo all of this.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That's not a good comparison, as neither Dirk or Duncan turned down significant dollars when they were Harden's age. I don't think anyone has for the betterment of a team. Dirk and Duncan didn't take heavy cuts until they were around 35.