1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden signs extension with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clutch citizen, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Are you happy with Harden's contract extension?

1. Yes - Harden is the franchise player.

410 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No - This messes up our cap situation.

38 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Nothing bad about this.

2. meanplays

meanplays Member

wonderful news, this is the first step in building a championship contender - getting a commit from the star

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

That depends on what kind of mindset James comes in to next season with. He, along with just about everyone else, walked into 2015 flat as a pancake. I want to see an MVP type year like 2014-2015 before I get overly excited about this.

5. meanplays

meanplays Member

at a time when all the stars are looking to leave, i think this qualifies as a win, no matter how much extra cash we had to spend

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I didn't mean we could definitely get two, I just meant that who knows the cap situation this time next year. And if they COULD gut the Roster and it meant getting say Westbrook and Griffin I'm telling you they will do that in a heartbeat. You get those guys and fill out the roster with whatever you can find. Pipedream yes, but whatever. Durant to the Warriors was Warrior fans pipedream for about 2 years now. Lets hope we have a great season so some stars could look our way.

Morey did not do this move thinking "Well, that puts us completely out of the 2017 FA class." in fact he's said quite the opposite.

7. kevtse

kevtse Member

I think Harden and his agent forced the extension. Les and Morey got no choice and had to take it.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Is there a video for harden press conference?

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Not true as mentioned earlier in this thread

10. Chamillionaire

He deserves it. Should be the highest paid player and top priority.

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Honestly, after Durant not even giving us a meeting.... Not getting my hopes up at all.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  13. Rokman

Rokman Member

I bet you're right! You don't just give someone every last bit of your cap space when you were planning to use every bit of it in free agency to add both Durant and Horford. They blew us off and we signed two Tier B free agents and a Tier C. I doubt Harden was too impressed by this and didn't want to stick around to be mediocre for two more years unless it was worth it to him over the long haul especially knowing he hasn't a snowballs chance in he'll of winning anything the next two years with Golden State and Cleveland stacked more than Dolly Parton. I bet he said bump up my pay or I bounce. Makes way more sense to me than, "Harden is just worth it and we wanted to prove to him how much he means to us now vs wait and prove it later." :rolleyes:

14. MistaK

MistaK Member

You don't have to just think it, we all know that this is exactly what happened!!

Haven't you heard, at the end of the season, it was made absolutely clear on this board that Harden in fact pretty much runs the entire league.

• He gets to decide who signs with the Rockets
    • He gets to handpick the coaching staff
    • If players talk badly about him, he has the power to ensure that they will never get another contract again, with the Rockets or ANY other team. This power extends to future coaching opportunities as well. ( e.g.: that's why Terry didn't say anything bad about Harden after the season - he wanted to keep his options open)
    • He wants a bigger contract, he can force a franchise to not only extend him but to renegotiate his salary

You think that's scary?? I agree!! But keep in mind that he is doing all that, while being cursed by Lil' B (or Lil' C - I forget) himself. Now if that curse ever got lifted - WHOOOOAAAH, watch out league, the almighty Harden will be running it like nobody's business.

15. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon are like "yup, we're just assets" after the Hardwn renegotiated contracts.

For Morey to go after anyone in 2017 even if DMo ia not resigned, they would have to be traded

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon are like "yup, we're just assets" after the Hardwn renegotiated contracts.

For Morey to go after anyone in 2017 even if DMo ia not resigned, they would have to be traded

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i wonder if they couldnt find anyone they want to sign with the rest of their cap, and instead just gave it to james with the extension.
    knowing that their fa pitch next year will be better now that players dont have to worry about james leaving

18. meanplays

meanplays Member

hahaha you actually had me for the first couple of lines...

#439 meanplays, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Great news. Hoping he's still hitting it hard.

Now let's build a decent team with shooters around him.

20. DJboutit

DJboutit Member

Boo dude is great in the regular season in the playoffs he likes to tank on purpose. We need a player that is kick azz regular season and the playoffs. We do not need a player in the playoffs that likes to fly home in between 2 playoff games go to the strip club come back to the game with only like 4 hrs of sleep. 2 seasons ago he did this 2 times during the playoffs dude most not like the playoffs.