1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden should quit on step back 3s?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Feb 10, 2020.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

stepback 3s are brilliant and gonna be remembered by fans and honored through playback while his Jersey being retired in TC or the HOF announcement ceremony one day.

Its DRIBBLEs hurt, eps those dribbles in certain situation. he should increase his pure catch and shoot or mid-range shot…that will make him much more unstoppable and unpredictable (shot selection).

Greedydex likes this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Take less step-back threes. He is becoming a victim of his success in a way. He is inviting defense so he can pull it. He should have a mentality of attacking to help himself out. He settles way too often.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The answer is - "situationally". Sometimes, some nights, there will be better shots. Gotta take them, too. Even the math says so, hence my "moreyball chucking" thread.

YallMean likes this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

To put it succinctly, the step back 3 is a great counter to opposing teams using secondary defenders to load up the paint on Harden. Should Harden be more judicious with the shot? Absolutely. Should he stop shooting it? Absolutely not.

D-rock likes this.
  5. YallMean

YallMean Member

load up the paint? How??? Then he should pass it to PJ or Covington for an open 3.

6. amaru

amaru Member

In those situations, the defender is close/athletic enough to close out on the corner shooter.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Where did you get that stat?

8. riko

riko Member

Under Kevin harden actually had a mean post game. Plus Kevin used to set him on the elbow where he would he use his mid range game to great effect. He used to to get a ton of and one fouls from the mid range. It seems the last three years it’s three or layups.

9. omgTHEpotential

https://stats.nba.com/player/201935/shooting/

On this page you can track Harden's shooting by shot type. Lots of different possible types.

Step-back jumpshots
    153/401

Out of those, step-back 3PTs
    147/394

As you can see Harden is 6/7 on his mid-range step-backs. Very insignificant sample, but I'm sure his midrange step-backs would be lethal and another thing the opponents would have to worry about if they didn't stick to Harden's body on his drives to the rim.

#49 omgTHEpotential, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    D-rock and Easy like this.
  10. JackLordsHair66

I’m surprised it’s that high after the last 6 weeks he’s had... he did have a few games where his 3 was on (think he hit over 50% in the Suns game) so they help to offset the poor night when he goes 2/13. I just wish he’d think more situationally as someone above mentioned, but he rarely seems to do that much this year. I get that he is a confident shooter but he really needs to be more game aware of how missing 3 after 3 (when he’s been grinding all game and missing) is hurting the team, but I doubt he will

11. PhiSlammaJamma

How did his turn into a f@ck the Jazz thread once again.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He obviously shouldn't quit, but if he's missing a lot during the game, he should mix in some other types of shots to see if he can get in rhythm.

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

bring back step back mid range.

14. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

he gave up on the one legged three pointer too soon.

15. omgTHEpotential

It's an amazing looking shot. I wish he brought it back.

Matt78777 likes this.
  16. dejamike

dejamike Member

I don’t think he should get rid of the step back, but he should mix it up or disguise it better, because it’s getting pretty obvious for the defender to know the step back is coming. Maybe add a little head fake, if defender reacts/ jumps, then he should blow right by him... but hell, what do I know, I barely made JV in high school, which was 23 years ago lol.