1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden on Giannis: “I wish I could just run and just dunk. That takes no skill at all.”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Macdaddy91, Feb 28, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol lof crying about dumb posts

D-rock likes this.
  2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Is Harden taking a shot at former team mate capeala when he says "I wish I could just run and just dunk".

It seem Harden is criticizing the skill set of running and dunking as it relates to Giannis but at the same time Harden might
    devalue the skills of his former team mate Clint Capeala?

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

I think you're reaching. The media hasn't swooned over Clint's athletic ability as much as Giannis. The question was framed around Giannis. The only time James talked about Clint in the interview was at the 0:41 mark which was a praise.

"Clint was great for us for the last few years. I'm proud of him the way he grew as a player and as a person. (umm) Now he has another opportunity at Atlanta ... "

DeBeards, D-rock and BamBam like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Harden’s response to your comment

“Haha. [rolleyes]”
    Giannis’ response:

“Yes, that’s what I’m saying. Thank you. Like, I’m not that kinda guy. I’m like the guy people like. I just want to win and like go home to my family. I don’t try to take no jabs at somebody, or defend myself to the media like a Cupcake. I’m not that Kerr kinda guy, or go to titty bars like some. I work hard, and do the best I can then go home to take the trash out and walk my dog and study my English.

This doesn’t bother me, so thank you for asking me on the show.

All I can do is hope @durvasa agrees that I made my point better.

Oh, and ask me again after my game tonight, and I’ll, like, make me point, again.”​

#584 heypartner, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Deuce, D-rock, oelman44 and 3 others like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is irrelevant... "The fact is Giannis is probably the best player in the league"

as in right now, not projecting out 5 or 10yrs from right now

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He's definitely in the conversation dude. A back to back MVP winner is going to be in the god damn conversation for best player in the league.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

again, in the conversation does not = "fact is"

and b2b also irrelevant when 1) playing in leastern conf 2) bucks are 5-1 without him 3) the award is decided by heavily-biased media whores

should we say 'Fact is Harden is probably the best player in the league' based on his being in the conversation and #1 or #2 in MVP voting the past 5yrs and doing it in a MUCH harder conference w/ lesser and oft-injured supporting cast?

Blurr#7, Reeko, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He IS probably the best player in the league. Right NOW. Fact. This year, there's no credible argument for any other player having been a better player. He's a legitimate DPOY candidate and also is having one of the most prolific scoring seasons in NBA history on a per possession basis. His team is having a historically great season, and they are the odds on favorite to win the title. Hes' taking what would maybe be a 50 win team without him and elevating them to a team that could win close to 70 games. There isn't another player on his team that has even close to the same impact as him. Who has a better case as best player in the league right now? Go ahead and name him.

None of this should take away from how special Harden has been during this phase of his career. But Rockets fans are so bitterly jealous of the adoration that is heaped onto Giannis and are so irritated over his slights towards Harden (after what he probably perceived as slights against him from Harden), they need to look for reasons to tear him down. What I think of one player should not depend on what I think of the other.

fchowd0311 and SWTsig like this.
  10. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Not taking away Giannis greatness but his physical attributes has an advantage vs Harden who has to work harder to achieve his greatness. Giannis leads Harden only in Rebounding and barely by .10 in bpg. PER rating is too skewed favouring Giannis since he attempts less shots, dribble way less than guards and hence commit less turnovers. Even then Harden is still in 2nd place after Giannis in PER. Strictly from MVP hype perspective, Giannis is overrated thanks to his fans and ESPN analysts and Harden is way underrated thanks to too many haters on ESPN.

jcf and vlaurelio like this.
  11. durvasa

Forget PER, then:

The only argument for Giannis not being the game's best player is that he doesn't have to play as many minutes of some other players. But, I'd say that's more an argument for him not being most valuable (and not a particularly strong one, at this stage).

I suppose one could also argue that he hasn't yet proven himself to be the best player in any postseason, and so he's therefore ineligible from consideration as the game's best player. If that's the argument, then the only two active candidates for "best player" would be LeBron or Kawhi. I don't find that argument particularly convincing either.

DeBeards, harold bingo and SWTsig like this.
  12. durvasa

I'm not disputing that he didn't deserve some trash talk coming his way. I just don't think it benefits Harden all that much to allow himself to be pulled into a feud with him.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

Kemba is #18 and #16 on those charts, would you have taken Kemba over Harden. The all Star game, with the unnatural rebound elbow flex, the post conference shot on Harden's defense. It's an exhibition game with tribute to Kobe. Giannis trying to win all star MVP. Glad it went to Kawhai. Why is Giannis going after someone not in his division (or conference) for that matter. Rockets and Bucks aren't rivals.

There was a time when people thought Deron Williams was a better point guard than Chris Paul. Deron had a few good years in his prime where it overlapped with Paul. But Paul had longetivity been on different teams and systems. Like Paul, Williams had injuries, once speed athleticism is gone, faded quickly after he left Sloan's system to the Nets.

Giannis bloomed last couple years, media more than given his praise. Harden has longetivity of an entire decade. Maybe Giannis can sustain, maybe not. This isn't the case of the arrogant American picking on humble shy international player, in fact it's the opposite. I don't see Siakim, Dirk nor Yao taking shots at peeps in their time in NBA. If Giannis wants to be the type that dishes a little trash talk, cool, then he should be able to take some too.

#593 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 2, 2020
    DeBeards, jcf, Nook and 2 others like this.
  14. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Harden will have a longer career than Giannas, because he is more skilled than the Greek.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

[​IMG]

Gainnis seems to take better care of his body. Probably eats cleaner and works out more.

I haven't seen a massive body transformation from Harden besides gaining some muscle and also fat throughout the years.

Saying that he doesn't have to work hard for it is stupid.

The Bucks are on pace to win 14 more games than the Rockets while Gainnis is putting up similar offensive numbers while also being in contention for DPOY. There is no argument for Harden over Gainnis this season unlike last year. That is just an absurd homer take.

#595 fchowd0311, Mar 2, 2020
  16. fchowd0311

He kinda took it pretty well seeing his box score the 2 games since the "no skill" statement.

And I'm sorry but Gainnis is going to be respected in the league more because he never had a era of multiple years of playing horrible defense.

The part that isn't fair to Harden is that Gainnis doesn't have the playoff chocker label on him merely only because he hasn't had enough opportunities to fail yet.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

To get respect, have to give respect. He can let his game to the talking without having to take pot shots at an elder that has done it longer.

DeBeards likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

Oh my God.

"Elder". Come on dude. NBA players in the middle of their back to back MVP seasons couldn't give two ***** about "elders" other than retired legends. He's a rival at this point. Giannis pot shots were cheap but Harden technically started it last season by saying Gainnis won because of media narrative, true or not many people don't see that as graciously losing and people tend to think Harden pushes too hard for MVP campaigns with full page Adidas ads. To me Hakeem did it best with showing disapproval of the MVP award going to another player by being silent and absolutely demolishing the man who got his award in the WCF. That's the best way to show disapproval of the voting.

Also BBall ref has no narrative angle and only uses pure analytics to track the MVP race and their rabkings every year are pretty accurate with the actual winner. Giannis is at 62% chance to win and Harden is second at 12% chance to win. No media narrative spin there.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.html

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There you go worrying about what other ppl think again.

You’ve stated before, the perception of what other ppl think of your team and your favorite player bother you. I’d take a look at that. It’s not healthy.

And when you get to the bottom of it, you’ll finally see how you’re wildly overrating Giannis’ bully-ball offense, probably due to wanting other fans to think you’re objective, and to try to control the media heat on the Rockets.

Seriously, did you watch what Toronto did to him last playoffs?

Deuce, Blurr#7, slothy420 and 6 others like this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Alright man, we can agree to disagree. Gonna end it here for me.

DeBeards and jcf like this.