1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden ISO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Nov 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People keep putting this on Harden when the ISO is a key feature of Mchale's 'Offense'.

2. steady

steady Member

I don't know about that ... Rockets offensive coach Chris Finch is on record as saying (in an interview during the preseason) that they wanted to reduce the number of late game isos, and didn't think they were as effective as the Rockets' usual ball movement offense.

3. steady

steady Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/offensive

JCF: To that end, I think there are still a lot of misconceptions surrounding how the offense works and is supposed to run. Last year, for example, some criticized the late-game offense because it had a tendency to get too iso-heavy and used that as an indictment of what happens when you don’t have an encyclopedic playbook to draw from when the game slows down as it so often does late in games or in the playoffs.

CF: I would counter this by saying that our late-game situation was the antithesis of our offense; it wasn’t a byproduct of our offense. We actually abandoned our offense too much to go to late-game isolation situations and you see what happens when you have players in isolation or in simple NBA sets where the defenses, which are at heightened intensity at that point in time, are locked-in on game plan and taking away what you do best: they’re forcing your best players into hard shots and then when you have other players who aren’t able to create their own offense the way a James Harden can, it becomes even tougher.

So the key for us this season is staying with that fluidity later, keeping that unpredictability as well as mixing in sets that emphasize Dwight’s touches, James’ touches, and whoever else has it going that we feel has a mismatch or is playing well in that game.

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

OK I just thought of something...is James playing like this in face of TT starting which takes away some space for driving and puts us in a hole early, from where we have to dig ourselves out? I bet he's not happy with the way we are starting. Maybe he doesn't care because of that?

5. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Why do iso? Because it simply works. Jordan, melo, Kobe, iverson...hmmmm, harden maybe? Of course. If we're going to move this team forward, we need to set more plays for harden.

6. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

The Truth not a superstar??? Then you are very very selective.

Only 40??! I thought he'd be much higher!

Thanks!

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

lol so many hate comments but no solutions..

i would like us try and attempt the okc style of the westbrock/durant pick and roll is some capacity in the game or just start with a lin/bev type at the top with harden getting a pick from dwight to get open at the three point line.

from what we have seen over the past 2 years harden seems to shooter better when he isnt thinking and just playing in the flow of the game

8. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

just throw down my word here. he is going down the wrong way and if he keep going he will be the cancer of the team. the selfish plays, the no defense effort, the dont give a damn to coach, all from this supposed leader of the team, and the poison will spread out, look at Parsons now. Bad coaching is the first to blame, they must STOP IT NOW, dont wait for Mchale's contract expire, they must put out the flame NOW when it is still small.

9. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

I don't get it. If Harden likes ISO so much, shouldn't McHale cater to that and design a play where the guys move around more and try to get some open shot?
    Run some damn play and set some screens, or at least pretend to for god's sake. Don't just stand there and watch Harden, waiting to shoot a ball with 3 seconds left with a defender in your face.

10. queazie

queazie Member

I noticed that McHale chucked his notes when Harden ISOed and failed.
    I think McHale needs to be more of a Pop or the Zen master. Control your stars.

11. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

12. atwood

atwood Member

J Harden is a great passer but not a good facilitator. Of course he iso when he has the ball most of the time while other players were standing and watching.

No ball movement, how could he pass? Feel bad for him, must be really frustrating

13. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

Here's a novel idea. Let Lin be the PG and Harden be the SG and play off the ball. Get some motion in our offense and find the open man.

Its on the coach! I really don't like watching our games this year. Why cant we play more like San Antonio... we have the talent!

14. strifed169

strifed169 Member

To those saying Mchale is not responsible, why does he continue to let him do it even though it fails 99% of the time? Mchale is just a horrible coach, great player, but he's been getting a pass as a coach based purely on the talent of his team, no set plays, ever, only Harden ISO's, lol.

15. LYT2010

LYT2010 Member

ohh Harden Harden Harden, the 6th man is his best role, definitely not a starter

16. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

When you have 32 usage% ,it's all excuse.
    I don't even say his good at eye defense.save his ass energy at offense and get this ****ty outcome.
    How pathetic HOF can be???

17. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

No such thing as a HOF. Much less someone who was on Clutchfans before Harden was even in college... :rolleyes:

18. atwood

atwood Member

message approved:grin:

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Since most of your post is fabricated, I'll select "No" as an answer. Thanks for asking though.

20. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

I agree. By the way, I looked at your joining date, I guess you could not have been a LOF :grin:
    Seriously, the coach has not showed any other way.:mad: