1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden iso-ball or houston rockets team ball?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iku, Nov 17, 2012.

1. 2012er

2012er Member

Team ball! The stupid harden iso has cost us at least 3 winnable games! Tonights. The first game vs. blazer and the one vs. heat. I am so sick to watch this. If the coach dares to sit harden on bench in 4th quarter, we will be in playoffs. The coach who said that the ball is never democratic should be gone.

2. Grigori

Grigori Member

It's not Harden's fault. He is not a selfish player and he is no doubt just doing what the coaching staff tells him to do. I tell you what though. You see how Sampson benched Delfino tonight? $20 says that Delfino pointed out how stupid the Harden ISO stupidity was and the coaches didn't like it.

3. Lihao

Lihao Member

if he can benched starter whenever he's like, i think he probably can decide what kinda play he want to run. you're right that he probably didnt invent new play for the team, but it's his decision to run those iso play near the end of the game

4. mirus

mirus Member

uh,delfino is injured.
    btw this is the 1st time i've seen a well respected bball chinese fan in the chinese forums shaked his head over(tabloid)

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1440881071?pn=71#

5. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

the game was so exciting (up to OT) that i forgot we even have Delfino lol. no Jones either. wtf.

yea, at the end of the Miami game, Delfino's face was like "wtf are you doing Harden?!". Sampson probably didn't like that. not sure why he keeps letting Harden and Douglas get away with things :rolleyes:

6. delta69er

delta69er Member

Weren't we running those same iso sets at the end of games when McHale was still here?

7. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

The last 5 or so games where it was Harden ISO galore, I was horrified and disgusted but tonight I thought he had a healthy amount of ISO that allowed Jeremy to also get his chance at playmaking.
    I dont mind Harden ISOs when run at an acceptable rate, he's really good at getting to the line with those.
    A nice balance of everything is what the goal should be. :p

8. AbrahamLincoln

Just seems like a lot of people don't understand that this team is the youngest in the league. The lack of ball movement late in the 4th quarter is a product of that. Veteran teams are going to do this to us often. We have to develop and let the guys learn that getting wins in close games is going to boil down to execution and ball movement late.

I'm not thrilled about some of the things Sampson has done with substitutions either but this type of play is hardly a crystal clear reflection of coaching. I did like that he stuck with Morris. Late in the game the rockets settle for jumpers. Spacing and movement suffers and is key to breaking down the defense and this is something we will have to watch develop. We didn't look confident down the stretch. Veteran teams take high percentage shots late in the game, they get in the paint. Young teams like our rockets settle for contested jumpers, and turn the ball over a lot.

What I wonder is if Morris will be trade bait because of his increased value or if Morris has made Patterson or Parsons more expendable. Time will tell.

9. jocar

jocar Member

Inexperience. Both sides.

*gnaws on smoked turkey leg*

10. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

Need to give Harden a break and have him finishing plays as opposed to initiating and finishing. McHale mentioned they took some of OKC's plays when Harden first got here; well they should run some of KD's plays for Harden. They often run high double screens or on the wings to get KD some easy catch and shoot opportunities.

Obviously, during crunch-time you need to rely on some measures of hero-ball, this is why you pay guys the max. Harden is still new at this and hopefully all of these repetitions will pay off in the end.

Sometimes the offense reminds me of the Tmac era when we relied heavily on Tmac to start and finish all the plays. It was atrocious offense. Especially when Yao was phased out the game or he was injured.

11. Grigori

Grigori Member

Yeah, now Coach Sampson says Delfino is injured.

Dude, lies just flow so naturally out of that man's lips!

He needs to pay up that twenty bucks he owes me.

12. Lihao

Lihao Member

yes , Mchale did ran those play when he's still here but would he still run the same play if it didn't work? we don't know.

basically it's Sampson decision to run it again and again , you can't blame Mchale for that when he's not around.
    Sampson also make a lot of controversial rotation late in 4th quarter , he benched Asik who obviously our best defender and rebounder twice late in the games when we're leading. and he benched Lin today.

13. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

Harden iso-ball is better.

14. nomangame

nomangame Member

Whatever happened to teamwork?

We're the Houston Rockets, not Team Harden

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's inevitable

When a team's offensive sets dies, the ball goes to the best player for an iso or a pick and roll

This isn't just the rockets, it's literally true for every team in the NBA

and since our offensive sets dies constantly, we resort to Harden iso all the time. But because Harden isn't the best Iso player out there today, we suffer because of it.

16. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Lmao @ the way this question was asked by OP...

'Do you prefer Nazi Hero Ball where nothing ever works or...Super awesome strippers and chocolate cake team ball where everyone gets open shots and we win games'

17. allaroundplayer

I was not in favor of the trade for Harden.

I don't think what he brings to the team is more than what they gave up, not even counting the draft picks, for this season anyway. Lamb is still an unknown, but has a high chance of being very good imo.

I'm sure their record would be the same or better with Martin and Lamb now.

Martin can score w/o dominating the ball so much. He scored 27 points in 27 minutes last night. He also moves much more w/o the ball which greatly benefits the offense. He is definitely a better 3 point shooter.

He is averaging 17 points in 29 minutes shooting 48% and 51% from 3 point range.

So w/o the trade, the Rockets would be a better team offensively now imo because their spacing, passing and teamwork would be dramatically better.

18. instar

instar Member

obviously, u gotta mix it well. everybody get involved and makes easy wide open shots, that's cool. but u need a guy who can go one on one, ISO, so he can either get to line or make shot when it seems nobody can buy a DAMM basket.

19. conquistador#11

as long as it keeps giving our coaching staff a boner, i don't see it stopping.
    the defense can see it coming after the third time and they adjust.

20. VanityHalfBlack

Attention K-mart shoppers, fearthebeardJH is a certified Harden nut guzzler....