1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden is due for a BIG game in game 6!! Redemption coming.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, May 25, 2018.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

He can't do it himself. Other guys will need to contribute in game 7.

2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I’m sure Harden is relieved you feel this way.

3. Wylo

Wylo Member

The problem I see is that Harden is not a great shot maker. He's a great scorer due to his ability to get to the line, but in terms of just pure shot making? He's not that great, to be honest. I hate to say this, because I thought he legitimately improved this season with his step-back threes, but in the playoffs he's proven yet again that he's not a great shot maker. And unfortunately that's what basketball is all about. And maybe my standards are a bit high, because I grew up watching MJ, Kobe, Wade etc. make ridiculous shots from all over the court.

You need to be able to hit difficult shots on a consistent basis to overcome playoff-level defense. Rockets fans should know this better than anyone else, because Hakeem was exactly that kind of a player, which is why he was so successful in the playoffs.

Nelly and JW86 like this.
  4. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Different team, different year. Don’t play the what about this or that card.

5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Huh? Why would Harden care?

6. ChefCurry

ChefCurry Member

He had 13 against the warriors in the playoffs a few years ago.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Correction..he’s playing poorly against 4 other all stars. At some point you have to stop making excuses for why a player doesn’t or can’t show up in the big game when it matters. Hopefully we won’t need those excuses after game 7.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

He had a big game, but also had a big turnover game.

This is no surprise though. After all, this is why Morey traded for CP3 to help reduce the turnovers. We're basically looking at the 2016-17 team now but with better defense.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

"James Harden has to prove he is the MVP." - Jason Fitz

"That's what most people are going to circle on. We got a guy who we've already given the award to. So far in the playoffs he's had instances of being great but it hasn't felt the same as watching the takeover we've seen in the Eastern Conference at times. It hasn't even felt the same in certain instances some guys from the Warriors we've seen. We've seen multiple. Klay Thompson in Game Six where he reminded us he was born for this. Kevin Durant cemented himself as their version of LeBron at times when this offense goes into one on one basketball. On the Rockets side, we're waiting to see James Harden do it in this moment. That's what we all want in this postseason: guys we consider great players to start building up their resume in this part of the season. James Harden, who has been prolific scoring the ball but we all want the best players to be the best leaders, the go-to guys in these moments and we're starting to wonder now is James Harden really gonna be the guy that gives us that? - Mike Golic Jr.

"When you talk about Harden & the expectations for him, I will always just look to the other side of the court tonight. If Steph Curry was hobbled & was out & this was Game Seven, today would all be about what is the legacy of Kevin Durant? We don't want to cut him any slack for any reason at any point because people have made up their mind they don't like him. The way we judge Kevin Durant, it would be held up over here & his entire legacy would depend on how he played Game Seven. I'm not willing to be less than that on Harden. There has to be some memory of how poorly he played last year when he needed it the most, his team needed it the most and he forgot how to play basketball. There has to be some proof, he has to step up at some point if he is the guy we all think he is. He has to have not just a night but an epic night to justify what we put behind him as a player, MVP & as a brand." - Jason Fitz

#229 J.R., May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Does Harden get a pass if CP3 is not 100%?

Max: Is it a trick question? Is Harden expected to beat the Warriors in game 7 without CP3? The Warriors have more superstars anyways. Do they have to play without Steph or KD? Of course he gets a pass. He has clearly struggled shooting the ball this series where something psychologically is going on. We get it. The difference between now & the past, he used to let poor shooting affect the rest of his game. He's turned it around & used it as motivation. Does he need to win or else bad James Harden without CP3 against the Warriors? No.

Will: Does Harden get a pass? Max is right to a large degree. He doesn't need a pass. They're playing the greatest team of all time. Except this: if he plays terribly...it's not about the team outcome. It's how he does as an individual. If he continues that 0-20 streak from 3 or like he did last year in the playoffs, he'll get no pass. He doesn't have to win without CP3 but he has to carry this team heavily & show up individually as a player.

SAS: Here's the reality: he has to perform well, whether they win or lose. Harden was averaging near 30 on 45% shooting, before shooting 0-11 on 3pt shooting. One game dipped his average. Also, even though they lost big in game 6, game 3 is when they really got destroyed because they had all their horses. If you're Mike D'Antoni, you gotta find a way to stop the bleeding. Slow the pace, get another ball handler on the floor. You can't have Harden handling the ball, having PG responsibilities with a bunch of guys on the court who can't dribble the ball. Green, Tucker, Ariza, Gordon, all good players in their own right but ball handling is not their strength. If you don't have another ball handler against Golden State's defense, it's going to problematic for you. I'm looking at Harden, with the exception of one game, he's been fine. You don't have CP3. If you're gonna go down, you have to go down swinging, reminding everyone why we've been talking about you as MVP. You don't have to win but you have to show up. Kevin Durant has to win. They can't lose to Houston with CP3 hobbled. Harden can lose this game & still hold his head high if he goes out swinging. He has to do at least that.

Max: This is where LeBron makes it tough for everyone else. ...

SAS: We're not comparing anyone to LeBron.

Max: Does Harden need to beat them? This Warriors team won against LeBron without Kyrie or Love but went 6 games, asterisk. Next season, they lost at home fully loaded. Next season, they added KD & stomped everyone. Now they're in a game 7 and if they win against Houston without their 2nd best player, there will be an asterisk there too. To say they're the greatest team ever when you could argue they're lucky to win 2 out 4 when the Bulls were 6 for 6 is absurd.

Will: It's not a done process. ... There's redemption for Harden in a noble defeat. None of us expect him to beat this team. His individual performance is what he has to show up for. That is what he won't get a pass for.

SAS: When I say he has to show up, what if we can't find anyone else? What if his parts resemble what Boston looked like last night? He has to show up. He can't have that kind of game. Even though you're outnumbered, you have to go down swinging.

Max: What if he doesn't have a great game but the Rockets win? Doesn't he get credit for that?

Molly: I guess I never thought about that scenario because I didn't see that one happening but I guess so. I don't see that happening.