1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Harden is declining

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Highlyrated, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Hes 30 not 37

2. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I said idk for sure but from what people say.
    So yes I’m not certain. One thing we all see is he isn’t giving his best effort and not playing like before.
    Oh wait I forgot to use
    - :)

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Everything about him is slower
    It is the whole team

Rocket River

J Sizzle and gfab-babyboi like this.
  4. riko

riko Member

He dropped 50 on this very same magic team earlier this season. Had 60 in three quarters. Had 44 on the clippers and 42 in Utah and the list goes on. He is not in decline. Right now it’s either fatigue or injuries that is slowing him down

So Saith Red likes this.
  5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The last time Harden dropped 45+ pts is almost 3 months ago.

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He’s hiding an injury or injuries under his “no excuses” policy. It will only come out much later.

Bo6 and Stormy1234 like this.
  8. riko

riko Member

Yea
    h and he scored 42 a few weeks ago. What’s difference between 42 and 45?

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The difference is James Harden is not that player who can drop 50+ pts 8-10 times a season any longer. His scoring seems not easy as before.

hikanoo49 likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Possibly because 3 other players on the court cannot drop 10 pts consistently at all ??

Defenses - 2 men on James 2 Men in the paint to stop Russ 1 man not guarding anyone but playing passing lanes
    THAT IS IT . . . EVERY TEAM KNOWS

Make PJ Tucker do ANYTHING but catch and shoot. . .he is about a 10% shooter on Non-Corner Threes - this includes layups
    Make House move - If he missed his first couple of shots. .. let him have it. . he won't score much
    Covington is the most perplexing so far .. . he is Feast or Famine

Rivers - I like his guts but he is not consistent
    EGO - HE-GO TO THE INJURED LIST! - depending on him is a major issue
    BMac is in the Covington realm of feast or famine. . .except without the defense
    and
    DanAndToni - really does not seem to like playing too many other people

Rocket River

gfab-babyboi and So Saith Red like this.
  11. GIGO

GIGO Member

For no apparent reason, reading this thread reminds me of Scott Pera and this segment of the Grantland article from years ago:

It was December 2005, and Artesia High School had just lost its first game of the season, a tournament final against Ohio’s Withrow University High School and future Cincinnati Bearcat Yancy Gates. On the flight home to California, Artesia coach Scott Pera walked down the aisle to find his gifted but timid star. A 16-year-old James Harden sat sleeping, or at least trying to sleep, when Pera sat next to him and decreed what needed to be done. “We can’t win,” he said, “unless you start shooting more.” Harden looked up, round-faced and clean-shaven, and digested his coach’s words. “I don’t want everybody to think I’m a gunner,” he told Pera.​

Just a high school kid then, and he's long been a superstar player and our franchise star. I don't know why but this article keeps popping up in my head whenever he struggles.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If he is hurt - He don't want anyone saying he making excuses
    If he is tired - He don't want anyone saying he can't take the load
    If he is frustrated - he don't want anyone saying he is a whiner

hard to admit you need help or not 100% for some folx

I don't know what is going on with him . . .but something is going on with him

Rocket River

Stormy1234 and GIGO like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He’s tired.

DD

14. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

MDA stubborn for small ball, there is no small ball. We need coach like Van Gundy. Now MDA should use back Harkinstein and Tyson. If he continues to stubborn, just let him. This guy does not have pills to cure

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's too predictable these days. Last year was pretty much the same but he was actually making the step-backs. Now that he's not, he needs to switch it up. Get himself in a rhythm with some different type of shots.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am settling on this more than anything else
    Injury is a distant second

Someone pointed out. . his step back is neither as far nor as quick as it use to be.
    The natural motion of it seems off.

Rocket River

#76 Rocket River, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  17. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

All he needs to do is get in the post & shoot mid range step backs.

18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Harden been shell shocked since 2015 wcf game 2 when he blew that game winner. Harden never got a shot up.

19. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Clearly injured. Has been for months.

This site and its fans are so god damn stupid. You people said this same **** about Chris Paul last year, who was also clearly not right.

Stormy1234 and Rocket River like this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think some of this has to do with the defense he's been playing. Especially during the winning streak, when he was tuned-in defensively. I'm not of the camp that says Harden has has been a bad defender. He's been average to almost good over the past 2 or 3 years, but since the Capela trade, IMO, he' turned it up a notch. He's playing good defense now.

BUT - you also have him playing a lot more post defense. He's very good at it. But even if you're strong, it's tiring to defend big post players. It's 85% basketball, 15% wrestling match.

AND - he's also being asked to rebound more.

This reminds me of the Spurs series we lost in 6. He was playing great defense against San Antonio's posts as we went small, but he was also much more fatigued.

I'm not saying this is the ONLY reason. Or making an excuse. But I do think it's a factor. And I do also think it will pass as he becomes more used to it.