1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden, Howard putting extra hours in to build chemistry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Haha we had the same post at the same time roughly

2. cebu

cebu Member

Chemistry in Cognac, Whiskey, Rum units.

3. tdo

tdo Member

I'm sure they have worked together in practice before. I have to imaging that they have. The difference being that they have never faced this much adversity. They were winning, and that is all that mattered. Now that they are losing, everything is being viewed under a microscope. Them working individually to develop that connection is now something being reported on rather than just being a humdrum part of a routine.

But if really took them 3 years to work with each other individually in practice... good riddance McHale.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, in the last two years, there has never been any complaints from the bbs other than "Why doesn't Howard want to run a PnR instead of all these Post Ups." That's all I recall. The focus of complaints was Howard runs a terrible PnR to the point many thought he hated it.

Is that not an accurate statement? We all blamed Howard for not liking the PnR and sucking at it.

What I'm seeing is JBB is actually going away from the classic PnR to make it more difficult to guard. I've posted the four new plays/wrinkles that feature a PnR as primary option or secondary option.

Those things we definitely never saw McHale do. JBB has nearly abandoned McHale's version of the PnR.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I would...there's been quite a few references to things being more orderly under JB...Definitely feels like McHale was very passive in his coaching.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Yeah that was pretty funny. Great minds think alike! :grin:

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

If it's your third season together and you are trying to develop chemistry then.... oh never mind.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Only took them two years to figure this simple fact out.

9. heypartner

In past years, didn't the BBS always complain about how Howard doesn't seem to like to run the PnR and sucks at it. That's what I recall. He mainly wanted post ups, which wouldn't be a 2-man game to practice with Harden alone.

Also, note that JBB said "We have to find new ways to get Harden the ball." So, that requires full-squad practice and considerations.

And now I also see more wrinkles JBB is adding to get Howard rolling to the basket, and a few of them are options off of first finding new ways to get Harden the ball. So, the two objectives "new Harden plays" and better ways to get Howard rolling to the basket are new.

Lastly, don't forget defensive adjustments. Many here said defenses were daring us to shoot early in the season and clogging the lane. We needed a response to that.

bottomline: is this new because Howard is finally buying-in to practice more ways to get involved vs just post-ups.

#29 heypartner, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I definitely understand that, but developing chemistry between stars has no downsides. It is still something that they should have strived for, simply because it could help team play in general.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Is JB going to hold Howard's dick and polish Harden's balls as well?

This is absurd.... Sounds like yet another excuse in a long line of excuses as to how things will be magically fixed.

They may very well turn it around (they are certainly talented enough) but it won't be because Harden, Howard and JB are holding hands at the Waffle House. Any turn around will be based on improved execution.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hahahahahahaha

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Really shouldn't be talking about "building" chemistry after this long playing together.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How do you execute better, without talking about expectations and responsibilities?

15. basketballholic

Yes. It would seem if you really wanted to win as bad as you say you do that you'd work on your own to develop the on-court chemistry you know you need to win.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They were Mcheld back.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Talking about expectations and responsibilities? They have done that numerous times and have even talked about it in the past.... They even had a players only meeting to discuss it.... They are on the plane together 40 times a year .... They practice 70-80 times a year as a group.

At this point they will play hard when they feel like and they will execute better when they decide it is a priority.

All this BS about "communicator" and "getting back to basics" and "working on X Y and Z" means NOTHING because some excuse is trotted out every time they lose to a team like the Nuggets or Nets. It is always some version of "Don't worry we are doing X, Y or Z".

Talk is cheap, especially with this team of coddled degenerates. When THEY decide it is important enough (Harden & Howard) it will get somewhat better.

18. heypartner

I gave a very tactical description of chemistry and developing it -- i.e., it's a moving target. All I see from others is some vague intangible that shouldn't be so elusive, if so, then there must be friction. That's all I'm getting from takes on cfnet.

Tell me the BBS did not bash Howard the past two years for not liking the PnR, preferring low post.

Tell me JBB didn't just say that he's working on the PnR now, and with new wrinkles we've never seen before.

Tell me the league wasn't guarding Harden differently to start the season.

Combine those things together, and it makes perfect sense to me JBB is now in a position of changing how he uses H&H, out of both necessity to respond to defenses and new buy-in both Howard and Harden to change.

Chemistry is a moving target across years, if you mean actual Xs and Os and execution versus soap operas.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He has no knowledge of basketball. Stop responding to him.

1 person likes this.
  20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

As much as the issue has been lack of effort, this team has other problems rooted in getting back to the basics.

JB hasn't had this much control in 70-80 practices a year. Do the players need to care? Of course, but let's not assume that they don't need improved guidance to get them to that point. Many people don't fully mature until they are 25-28. It's not going to be different with athletes. Harden is just entering that phase and he needs to be mentored closely.