1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden fixed his turnovers issue by getting more assists but the TO's are still a problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agree as a team they need to limit their turnovers. But also wanted to add.....the turnovers that hurt the most are the "live ball turnovers" that result in the opponent getting a huge advantage against transition defense versus facing the Rockets set half court defense.

So, not only do you lose a chance to score, you give the opponent and easier chance the other way.

Live ball turnovers are the devil!

Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

Daddy Long Legs and RyanB like this.
  3. solid

solid Contributing Member

My greatest concern is that Harden will be made less effective in the playoffs. There are only two obvious solutions to this problem. One, he has to get creative in overcoming double teams and not get frustrated. Second, someone else has to step up and take his playmaking and scoring role. This is likely Harden's last chance to repair the damage done to his playoff legacy of turn-over records and disappearing acts. Plus, and maybe most important, he must not seek stress relief in all night clubbing, especially the day before games. If he flops during the upcoming playoffs, I think his image will be forever tarnished.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bballic ripping through opposition in this fine and mighty thread.

Time to re-up his subscription plan paid with newly mined YuleC coins.

I get 4 per every post I read but my alts net me 20.

Automatic platinum status, suckers.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

That's exactly what happened during the last few minutes against okc. Turnovers leading to easy points for them.

saleem and Deuce like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Harden needs to do a better job, but it's not all on him. Chris is the PG, he needs to be the primary ball handler in the clutch. We need to go small, EG needs to come back as soon as possible. This is the only way to reduce the scoring load on James and Chris. The rest of the guys need to defend/ rebound and shoot, barring Capela who needs to run the P/R as well. I know I'm going to get flamed.

I expect a 2nd round appearance for our guys, unless we are lucky to catch a favorable matchup there too. Ariza has run out of gas, Ryan is injured, and EG is sitting out( I expect him to make a good comeback), but I'm concerned about him too.

da_juice and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I would rather our starters rest and practice rather than playing these last 2 meaningless games. Work the kinks, heal up, and perfect against double team and tight defenses. Everybody here and their mothers know defenders will try to strip the ball from Harden, especially in the 4th quarter. Harden has pretty good handles for a shooting guard, but nowhere as tight as CP3.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A wise idea. Much appreciated.

RyanB likes this.
  9. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Harden fixed his turnovers by giving the ball the Chris Paul more often. Harden makes the same mistakes as he always dribbling into traffic looking for the call and getting stripped when he does not get the call. That said I like Russell playing James in the play-offs and that he showed that card in the regular season. Tells me that PG lost confidence in playing him on defense and that he had to play that card to throw Houston off in a regular season game Lastly, insert Eric Gordon and I can see this being real issue for OKC assuming he hits his shots.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we sweeping them if we ever meet in po
    take it to the bank

11. basketballholic

You get it. Nook doesn't. He keeps touting team turnovers. But the facts are in the three point era, 43% of the teams that won the championship had more turnovers than their Finals opponents.

Team turnovers don't tell nearly the story as individual turnovers by the franchise players. They're an indicator of how well the opponent is defending.....the team. When the opponent turns the primary playmaker over more than 4 times per game.....the opponent usually wins the series....like 99% of the time they win the series.

Because, very simply put, to get to the Finals, teams have to be very, very good. And even in years where one conference dominates another it is rare that one Finals team is significantly better than the other Finals team over a 7-game Finals series. Most Finals are determined by a handful of plays. Turnovers by a team's franchise player(s) are a primary indicator, regardless of pace and usage. Because at that point in the season......must all the rubber is off everybody's tires. They're all grinding it out. And fatigue and sloppiness when you're tired becomes a huge factor.

That's why individual turnover count is more important than team turnover count.

#211 basketballholic, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    fchowd0311 likes this.