1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden: "Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jul 23, 2014.

1. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Guys, it also doesn't help when the article and quote were relatively quiet and then someone goes around all over the internet posting it on Rockets fan sites and stuff. I bet most of the players and coaches on the roster have no idea that Harden said that.

Until in a couple hours when someone checks clutchfans, see's this thread and then tweets or tells Patrick, "yo, harden said you aint shiii. what you gonna do?"

Sometimes it's better to keep bad press quiet instead of exposing it.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think its just you. You don't like him, because you're in Love.

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

One should just save action or words without any imaginable positive results to himself.

What exactly did James want to achieve with those "honest" words? Sure he's telling the truth, but it doesn't encourage teammates, nor does it show leadership.

If you want to show that you are serious about responsibility and accountability as cornerstone, start with "I" instead of "We" next time, when you talk about losses.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would be fine with him talking big if he actually tried on defense or stepped up in the playoffs like Dwight Howard did. Dwight Howard played like a cornerstone to a contender, Harden not so much.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

god forbid harden take responsibility.

6. Exel

Exel Member

Why would Harden do this? It's not like Parsons dissed him. Unless Harden and Cuban had some bad blood between them, I don't see a reason why Harden would take a shot at Parsons.

7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Carl trying to be tinman so bad.

8. newAge_Rockets

I like this talk from Dwight and James, but more excited to see them take the court for their second season together.

9. puppytigers

puppytigers Member

Imo, it really isn't a good statement to make for a number of reasons, but bear in mind that the article merely posted little snippets of each player's responses, and this particular quote could have been taken out of context.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Quote from Parsons:

11. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

What did he really say that was wrong? I'm very sure that no one on the Rockets was offended by his comments. Does Bev think he's a cornerstone? Of course not.

The reason Harden said it in this manner was to state that nothing major changed and that's exactly what I want to hear from the co-leader of this team. A role player needs to believe in his leader(s) in order to be effective, and these are words that make that happen. It may sound bold, but isn't that an essential quality for a leader?

If anything this is shots fired at Morey and the FO for constantly searching for a 3rd star, which is what CF has been condemning for 2 weeks now. So many members on this board criticize for really no reason.

Harden said 2 of the most popular ideas circulating around CF and that is A) we don't need another superstar and B) Parsons isn't a star. He agreed with most of y'all! Give him a break!

2 people like this.
  12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

During the season or the post season? I would say during the season he did.

13. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Just because you're technically correct doesn't mean you're not an ass for saying it.

Every player in the NBA at least has some level of self-respect and self-esteem. It would suck to hear that your teammates, despite the fact that they are better than you, see you as an expendable role player instead of a brother-in-arms.

Chalk it up to Harden being young and dumb, but it's called subtlety and being smart. Tim Duncan never came out and told Jacques Vaughn and Malik Rose that they are trade assets.

Let's just hope we have the raw talent to overcome stuff like this.

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

He's a piece of something.

2 people like this.
  15. rocketshopeful

Ch slowly making more and more sense. 100% dead on.

16. goyao11

goyao11 Member

A role player needs to believe that their leader believes in them and that they are integral to the success of the team, not that they are just "pieces". Players are smart and know how good they actually are, but telling them that they are expendable really helps no one.

The way you would approach that question is to recognize the contributions of your former teammates and hype up the abilities of your current teammates. This is just dumb PR by Harden.

17. BinBinRingRing

He didnt have to say that...

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'd be willing to bet the other players on the Rockets understand what he means and who he is talking to and they are not offended. Parsons did the Rockets dirty with the way he handled things and Harden is responding in kind. No big deal.

And I repeat, Harden and Parsons did not get along on the court.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Only 100 days away!

20. Remii

Remii Member

I don't. It's a business... Howard left his teammates hanging in Orlando so he can't be upset about it.

It seemed to me that Parsons would take indirect shots at Harden in the media... So I'm not surprised to see Harden say this.

If these two live up to their billing they will be fine.