1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden defense watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Nov 8, 2016.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i always nitpick their defensive lapses. everyone think's duncan was a great defender but he really sucks!

i know all about what you're saying but i also watched the wizards game. he needs to be serious about giving consistent defensive effort. it will have a positive effect on the team defense as a whole.

2. Harden's beard

Definitely he should improve, but the hate Harden receives because of his defense is not proportional to his actual defensive performance on the court. He is just one of those below-average defenders, nothing more, nothing less. But the narrative is that he is the worst defender out there, which is not the case. But anyway, I agree with you that he is improving on that end or at least showing more effort this season.

Harden has that weird body-language that rubs some people the wrong way, and that's why it gets magnified when other players also routinely make the same mistake over and over (like backdoor cuts), because people assume that he's not even trying. I've watched hundreds of Harden's games, and I'm pretty sure that his lack of lateral quickness is a major factor for some of his poor defensive performances, but the regular fans do not want to acknowledge that and just chalk it up to 'effort.'

3. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I agree with you, but ourselves here, I donĀ“t know, I think we should focus more on finding ways in game of improvement than the public perception. We will always lose that battle.

It seems you like to watch his defense as close as his offense. I would add to your point, he has some posessions 1on1 of high quality. Overall I think sometimes his issue is trusting the system, he is always looking for steals, if he put a little more attention to his guy.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It has been so good that:

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Maybe you are right but that doesn't seem to add up when he possesses the best euro step in the league. He just need to stay focused and move his feet, he gets stuck on his heels too much on d sometimes

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Victor Oladipo Full Highlights 2016.11.16 vs Rockets - 29 Pts, 10 Rebs, 5 Assists

7. onreego

onreego Member

I don't understand this post. Wasn't Harden on Roberson most of the night with Ariza and Gordon switching between Westbrook and Oladipo?

Harden's defense on Roberson was hilarious. Pretty much dared him to shoot the long ball.

heypartner and Brown Lost It like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You are correct,Oladipo was guarded by Ariza and Gordon.

onreego and heypartner like this.
  10. onreego

onreego Member

I guess Oladipo's highlights were posted in this thread as assumption that because he's a 2 guard he was defended by Harden?

11. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Where do you see Curry being the 5th best DRPM among PG? According to ESPN, Curry had a DRPM of -1.85 which ranked 52 among PGs last year.

12. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

EXCELLENT defense.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'm sure that was the case, it happens quite often. Every time it does I always want to ask the poster "Did you not watch the game or did you watch and not pay attention?"

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Golden State's defensive efficiency is worse than ours lolol

heypartner and ilovehtownbb like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

As I see it, the big problem in the perception of Harden's defense is because on those plays where he decides not to defend someone, he makes it obvious. There are times when you know you can't defend: you're already out of position, you're in foul trouble, you're exhausted... whatever. It happens. Instead of trying to at least appear like he's not giving up on the play, Harden often just stands there and lets it happen as he gets ready for the following offensive position. Put enough of those instances together in a video clip and it looks like a lazy superstar who can never be bothered to guard anyone.

16. Mr. Clutch

He was guarding Roberson most of the night, but he did get switched a couple times (1:12 for one)

He also gave up the alley-oop to Roberson at the end, but he was helping on a WB drive

Also, a couple turnovers led to easy fast breaks for OKC, including right at the beginning. That may not be defense exactly, but counts against the defensive ratings I believe

And it's also a team sport, so it's good to see how we let guys like Oladipo and Bazemore go off on us. May or may not be Harden's fault, could look at his help defense (although he was on Bazemore)

#76 Mr. Clutch, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  17. Mr. Clutch

There's something to this I think. Harden doesn't appear to move very fast, even on offense, but appeareances can be decieving

18. Mr. Clutch

I want to ask that too for people who think turnovers aren't correlated to winning

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Batman Jones, DonKnock and topfive like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG