1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden And The Top Scorers In The League Assisted and Unassisted FGs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Jun 26, 2016.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

You think kawahis the solution for the rockets to have a successful season last year?

Assuming a starting lineup of pbev brewer dmo and dwight, how many pts will kawahi avg and the rockets as a team will avg? Who will be creating shots for himself and others?

Same with paul? Who will he be passing the ball to? Brewer, ariza,or broke back dmo and d12

2. amaru

amaru Member

Hell no OP

Harden is an overrated left-handed Euro stepping bum who turns the ball over because he has too much A1 sauce or stripper glitter on his fingers

3. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

People in the media basically echoed there was an anti Harden bias/agenda.... Numerous dudes on ESPN as well.

You do know the media decides the selections... Did you see dudes that got votes? Do you value the media over GMs and coaches? Apparently you do.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

harden being fun to make fun of in vines was why he didn't make any all-nba teams, not because all of the people ahead of him were actually better.

unless the argument is that harden caused all of our chemistry problems and; therefore, even a minimum contract player who didn't cause chemistry problems would be better, then it feels highly doubtful that kawhi and paul could have won more games simply because they wouldn't have the scoring ability to carry our offense enough even if they added more defense. not that they shouldn't have been ahead of harden on all-nba teams, just that in the specific case of the rockets, they probably don't create more wins.

5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Some really low ball IQ posters.... Kawhi would struggle as the sole option to score consistently and he's not much of a playmaker or ball handler.

Paul would get injured even earlier than normal trying to carry an offensive scoring burden unlike any he's ever had to.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

sure... as soon as you tell me who Marcus Thompson is... lol!

Seriously though - why bother, when you're gonna dismiss someone like Kawhi as 'someone who can't be a #1 guy" - I doubt many considered Harden a #1 guy until he was given the opportunity...
    or dismiss Curry because he had a better supporting staff... yeh, and that group set an NBA record... do I think we could have won 41 games with the 3pt barrage he put on this year?
    Durant and Westbrook are dismissed why? because they missed the playoffs one year after going 45-37 (a better record than we had with harden this year) with Durant out and Westbrook leading the league in scoring?

dude, why bother?

and yes, all of those guys have flaws as well...

I will say that while Thornton was streaky, I'd much rather have had him in the lineup than Brewer...

Then toss in most any of the guys mentioned above...
    and MAYBE D12 doesn't turn into a malcontent...
    Maybe EVERYBODY shows more intensity on defense instead of the piss poor effort we saw all year...

Harden is a phenomenal offensive talent... but the game is played on both ends of the court and when you're the cornerstone, you've gotta be able to rally your troops.

but hey, "Those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter" right?

#166 kjayp, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  7. vlaurelio

Lots of maybes and ifs you have there.

For sure replace harden with anyone not named lebron the rockets still have only mustered 8th seed in the west.

And if spurs had harden instead kwahi or okc had harden instead of wb or clippers had harden instead of cp3 they would have advanced further in their respective playoffs

Wasnt mt’s defense worse or just as bad as hardens?

You think just as bad defensively and injury prone steph curry will suddenly stop everyone from sucking?

Thanks for admitting that you are not sure if anyone would have replaced harden and helped the rockets win more than 41 games

And btw its not hardens fault that d12 can catch the ball and post up. Its not hardens fault that ariza brewers shots werent goin in. Isnt hardens fault that dmos was slow to get back to 100%. Wasnt hardens fault that everyone else was useless.

But at least you had marcus lastname correct LOL

8. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Thats not what you asked. Go back to page 8. You asked who, besides Lebron, would give the 15-16 Rockets more wins. You talkin bout bb IQ and you cant follow along on your own rants. Youre essentially saying Harden is the 2nd best player in the Association, I like the guy and all, but hes not the 2nd best player unless he notches up his defense.

9. vlaurelio

not really a stretch he was the players MVP

he was carrying too much an offensive load that he had to scarifice his defense
    which superstar had to carry that much an offensive load (scroing and playmaking and creating for himself and others)?

if you can, try answering my #2 question as well

10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

No it doesn't necessarily mean that at all. We're talking about replacing what Harden in place of another player.
    Well what does he bring and what does the team require?

This team needs an elite scoring and elite playmaking wing... The only players that fits that bill over Harden is LeBron and KD arguably as well... Only players I think could get the 15-16 Rox as many wins or slightly more.

Harden is top 5.

No other superstar or player in the league.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hold up their bud don't forget they will say you have a low basketball IQ. This is all opinion based but as you can see some actually thinks their's golden. Nobody on here has a concrete evaluation sheet that says who can or cannot be a #1 guy.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

But aren't you going off the IF though. If you take Harden off of the Rockets and put Klay or any other potential #1 how far would have the Rockets would have went. Dude, nobody know that because neither one of us has a crystal ball.

13. kjayp

comment deleted - nevermind... i get what youre saying now... question was worded funky...

#173 kjayp, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

:rolleyes: This is exactly what we mean by bball IQ... When it comes to guards/wings there is a standard skillset for a legit #1 option on the perimeter. Yes Klay could be successful as a decent top scoring option on GS because they have personnel that maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses...they have multiple ball handlers, playmakers, and elite illegal screen setters.

Now would he be able to successfully replace Harden on Houston? HELL NO. Why?

Let's start with the personnel...
    No quality ball handlers
    No quality shot creators
    No playmakers

Now let's look at Klay... Here's things you can know just from watching ball. He's an elite shooter, but...

He's a below average ball handler
    He's a below average shot creator
    He's not a good playmaker

Now going even further...
    75% of his FGs are catch and shoot or pull-ups.
    81% of his FGs are assisted.

He doesn't possess the skillset of a true #1 perimeter player...

He'll have no one to create the bulk of his open catch and shoot opportunities...
    He'll struggle even more to create his own shot being the primary focus of the defense each night without any quality ball handling ability...
    His efficiency will go down and the team will suffer without anyone to create open or easy FGs for the rest of the team.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I used Klay as an example and that's it.

Now again you and I do not know how this team would have performed with another potential number 1.

Russell Westbrook has that #1 potential. Hell he's a number 1 in my book.

My point is we don't have any concrete evidence that says another potential number one could have led this Rockets team to the playoffs or not.

The thing is some people always try to claim their opinions as concrete facts. And then when others disagree, then the insults or the name calling follows.

16. kjayp

I'd just stop dude... I am... some people just will not accept any opinion other than their own... and as you've mentioned, they just resort to insults...
    look at the Melo exchanges... this guy has HIS criteria of what a superstar is, which is pure opinion, and everybody else has a low IQ if they don't agree with his assessment...
    If you say anything that can't be backed up with concrete data then you don't know what you're talking about... but he can assert a vast media conspiracy against Harden and you just need to take that opinion as the gospel...
    Just like harden was the players MVP last year - so that must mean he's the best... but if he finishes say 5th this year that won't mean 4 guys are better than him... they'll be some rationale to the contrary...
    Some people are just too thick skulled to bother wasting your time on...

17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I just used facts and reasoning in my assessment of Klay.. do you agree? And do you think it's accurate? If not dispute it.

There's a fundamental difference in what you're saying and the topic or point being made. :confused:

We're not saying none of those guys could be potential #1 options on specific teams or circumstances.

The point is who can successfully replace Harden as the #1 option ON Houston... That can be determined by looking at the personnel and what that player provides.

Remember Harden's strengths here as a Rocket is essentially everyone else's weaknesses on the roster. His game fills a significant void that can't be replaced by just any potential #1... Only LeBron and maybe KD could fill it.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one in their right mind would take harden over Kawhi.

Quit posting ignorant nonsense

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yeah I'm done with it as well. Some people are to caught up in their own opinions. They don't look at other opinions with an objective perspective. Especially when they are on a mission for a player they really like. I'm a big time Harden fan but his play this season (especially at the beginning) ticked me off. I just knew he was going to come out on a mission after not winning the MVP the year before and getting embarrassed in the WCF.

The number one reason why this season went the way that it did, is because the chemistry was destroyed.

20. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Answer the question then... No one provided reasoning for why... Make your case. I asked a fair question.

He was the only player in NBA history to have a year like that and not make an all-NBA team.

So answer the question... He didn't.... Do you agree with the media or do you agree with the coaches and GMs who have him as an all-star and top guard?