1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden And The Top Scorers In The League Assisted and Unassisted FGs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Harden has been on this team for years and the defense has never been as bad as the past one....

They've been above average on D and they've been elite with him as the guy, but the load he's had to carry has increased the past season... That won't just affect his defense, but his TOs as well... The OP emphasized that much.

Do y'all remember who the Rockets second best player on offense was for the 14-15 season? It was DMo... Dwight was hurt most of the year and we still had an elite defense. DMo was the most consistent scorer outside of Harden and helped lighten the load some cuz he was able to get quality offense for himself in the post. DMo was completely MIA this past season cuz of injuries and was never the same guy.

You're going to have a ton of turnvovers being the sole primary focus every night of the defense. While also having to create almost everything for yourself and your teammates cuz they can barely dribble much less beat someone off the dribble or hardly create their own offense if at all... You're defense is going to regress and be inconsistent when you're responsible for more offense than anyone in the league... 29/7/6... 71% unassisted FGs... 43% of the teams assists.... Plays more games and more minutes than any other player in the NBA. This is why this off-season is so pivotal because that has to change.. it has to be addressed because is the biggest issue.

This should be basic basketball knowledge.

But instead it's the ignorant and lazy nonsense... "Harden plays zero defense and is selfish af.. He only cares about his brand." :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  2. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Harden is like Carmelo in his prime.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That proved nothing. Chicken or the egg argument. Yeah of course if an NBA player is playing with YMCA talent then it's gonna be 100% unassisted, but that's not a realistic situation.

Players like to play a certain way. Kyrie prefers the ISO. It's not just that "he has the freedom" to do so, he also likes to score that way. He's better as a guy who dribbles to create his own shot than a guy who creates for others or moves without he ball.

He has freaking LeBron James on his team! And you still want to say it's because of personnel around him that keeps his unassisted fg% high

4. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Not alike whatsoever...
    Melo is a one dimensional scorer.
    He doesn't really pass...
    Doesn't really drive...
    Doesn't create for his teammates...
    And takes primarily the most inefficient shots in basketball.

Harden is a superstar.
    Melo is just an all-star.

5. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

You're cutting Melo way short here, there was a period of 4-5 years where Melo was one of the best 5-10 players in the NBA, at least offensively.

Carmelo is definitely not a one dimensional scorer. Thats ridiculous. You don't score 30 points being one dimensional in the NBA. He's was probably one of the most well-rounded players offensively of the last 10 years, definitely more versatile than Harden's scoring -- which consists of pull up 3s, drives to the hoop, and step back jumpers.

The one point you have is that Harden is a better passer, but they play different positions.

My point is they're both extremely elite one way players who cared more about fame and money than actually doing what it takes to win championships. You just hope Harden figures it out before he's on the downside of his career on a different team.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If that is your point, then your point is stupid.

7. JHard13

JHard13 Member

steph curry is a 1 way player, but he is friends with lin. So of course its no big deal with him

#128 JHard13, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  8. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Here you go. % volume of shots from whatever distance. If anything, Harden is way more one dimensional than Carmelo (40% of his shots are 3s).. Carmelo scores more at the Rim than Harden basically his entire career.

Carmelo

[​IMG]

Harden

[​IMG]

9. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yes it did.... I don't think you understand my post still... He plays with LeBron which allows him to play that way and be successful. Kyrie primarily scores for himself and he LeBron primarily creates for everyone else. Kyrie being able to consistently create his own shots on offense helps lessen the load for LeBron who doesn't have to do so for him. Which he's essentially said himself.

LeBron's usage percentage has been 35.4 with Kyrie on the bench. With Kyrie on the floor, it's down to a much more reasonable 28.

But this is all irrelevant cuz as I said...

It allows us to see who carries the greatest offensive load in the league.

And the stats, facts, and game tape all support that it's James Harden.

10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yeah there was a period, but it's long gone... He's been overrated for years.

Melo is a high volume scorer who scores the bulk of his points on the least efficient shot in ball.. mid-range jumpers.. Often contested mid-range jumpers.
    He loves the 15 footer. Whether it's a pull-up... or post turnaround... Or the hold the ball and jab step, then shoot it. The bulk of his FGs are essentially that....

Harden attempts 47%(most) of his shots in the paint... he drives far more and attacks the rim much more.. Melo attempts 39%(most) of his shots from midrange... the least efficient shot and also a shot that's far less likely to draw a foul... he only attempts 33% of his shots in the paint.

:confused: Positions don't decide whose a playmaker or not... Melo doesn't possess the skillset or will to be one.

Melo never had a season as good as Harden's 14-15 season... He's never carried a team like Harden has cuz he can't create offense for others.

If Hardens scoring is slowed down he can get his teammates involved. If Melos scoring is down, he's still gonna chuck. And chuck his team out the game. He refuses to get teammates involved.

Your point is nonsense.

I'm gonna help you here cuz you're using avg. distance which makes zero sense.... Look at the full breakdown of their FGA and also their %s.... Harden takes a lot of 3s so that's gonna increase it, but he takes more layups... Melo takes mostly mid-range jumpers... The least efficient shot.

1 person likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, you lost me right there. I am no Melo fan. But he's a one dimensional scorer? He's just an all-star?

You Harden apologists will do everything to discredit any player compared to Harden just to prop your boy up.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't think him believing harden is a better player than Melo is trying to prop one guy over another.

The numbers from team wins to offesnive win shares and PER pretty much show that harden is better and has def had a better 4 year run than any 4 year run in Melos career.

With all that said melo is a stud and HOF player he's def a superstar 3 years ago. He's slowed down but he's still a very good player that I would love to play with hsrden right now.

I think Melos game was always better suited as a number 2 option thas why he always played so well in the Olympics often times leading the team in scoring because he can absolute fill it up when it's just catch and shoot or one dribble pull ups with defesinve players scrambling.

Harden for whatever ppl think of him has the game and skill set of a legit number 1 option on offense I don't think that can really be disputed. Now leadership and defense is another thing but offensively he has the whom package from scoring everywhere on the court and getting his teamates easy buckets.

I think the one thing that's different is harden could actually be really good at defense is he tried harder (prayers) were as melo never had the abilty to be more than avg on that end. Harden is big strong athletic with really long arms. Ppl talk about his lateral quickness and very but his very at the combine was 37in and his shuttle times were on par with dwade. It's all mental for him there's no way that Klay thompson is quicker than harden and he's a very solid defdnder overrated yes but very good non the less. Harden should atleast be that good if not better because he has better basktball instincts

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

None of my comments are petty. And who the heck you suppose to be. If you don't agree to something I said, just disagree. But I'm not going to tell you some nonsense like that because I doesn't agree with the things you've stated.

Larsv chill out dude.

My thing is if we were all hanging out at a bar or something, Dude wouldn't calling any body's comment petty. And you wouldn't be telling that man his comment was stupid. If you wouldn't say that in person then why in the world are you doing that on the Internet.

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

There's the off the court name recognition "superstars"...

I'm speaking by on court ability... Melo is an all-star player... Even at his peak.

Imo... You have to be elite in at least two facets to be a superstar.

Harden is an elite scorer and an elite playmaker.
    Melo is an elite scorer.

Another reason why I don't and never have considered him a superstar... Also how many times as he missed the playoffs now... In the East? In a row?

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Harden needs to be better on D and in leadership everyone knows this we can't dispute it.

But we're did this notion that he's a bad teammate or doesn't care about winning come from. Dudes been a winner and good teammate every were he's played and also down what it takes to win right or wrong? He could have started in OKC Brooks said he asked if he wanted to but he still decided to come off the bench for the better purpose of the team. He tried to make it work with ty Lawson early on but it just wasn't working.

Get him a mike Conley throw the max at him and lets see how harden does. Conely is not even a supertsar but he would help out so much and give harden less work and easier positions to do what he does best and that's score the basketball.

The rockets need to be all in on getting Conley and horford and creating a big 3 with those guys.

You got harden you mvp guy Conley who's a top 25 player maybe 20 and one of the better PGs in the game and then horford who's another top 20 player who's also one of the best bigs in the league.

Add Ariza Bev beasley DMO? Capela Kj and that's a very strong core with major room for growth and improvmet thru trade or FA signing next year.

16. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

17. Mr. Clutch

You're still missing the point that Kyrie gets unassisted field goals because he's good at it. Personnel doesn't matter.

Yes Harden carries a big load, that's a separate topic. Even if he carried less of a load he wouldn't just magically get 50% assisted field goals.

Why did OKC bring Harden off the bench? Because he's better with the ball. Having him play off the ball with Westbrook didn't make sense because he's much more valuable with the ball.

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Lol.. That is directly what this topic is about in relation to Harden carrying the biggest load in the league.... You keep bringing up Kyrie when he's irrelevant... :confused: He's not the guy, but personnel(LeBron) does affect him being able to play that way and be successful... Kyrie is a very good catch and shoot player as well, but he's able to ease the offensive burden of LeBron by creating his own offense and he has the freedom to do so.

Would it suddenly be exactly 50/50? No, but his unassisted % would go up... Here.. Harden has no option... He can't just decide I'm gonna move more without the ball and get points off cuts or I'm gonna take more open catch and shoot opportunities cuz whose going to create em? The personnel dictates that he play like this primarily out of necessity.

Harden came off the bench to supply the 2ND unit with scoring and a playmaking... He also played with Russ and KD and was very good off ball.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

two easy questions for all Harden haters who refuse to admit that the rockets players and coaching staff around harden are pure garbage that harden had the biggest burden out of all the stars (except for lebron) this season:

1) name a player (or more if you can) aside from Lebron who you can switch Harden with straight up last season and can get the Rockets more wins?

2) if the best player or one of the best players on each NBA team sits out last season, would the rockets had more wins, the same # of wins, less wins, or the last 3 in # of wins.

20. Mr. Clutch

No one is arguing that he has teammates who can create.

The Rockets are designed as a team with defenders surrounding Harden. That's how it worked out after we got rid of Parsons and Lin. No one is arguing otherwise.

While the unassisted thing is affected a bit by that, it's more affected by the individual player. His last year at OKC he still had 65% unassisted.