1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden And The Top Scorers In The League Assisted and Unassisted FGs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Jun 26, 2016.

1. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

You asked him when, he gave you guys.

1 person likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, I asked for times when Harden was exploited by being targeted offensively.

This would be akin to me posting a bunch of opposing players bad stat lines and saying "SEE HARDEN IZ GUD AT DEFENZ"

Its lazy and worthless information for a variety of reasons.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

It is known around the league to attack a teams glaring weakness on defense. If we were just playing a regular street ball game and you knew the opposing team had a player on it that refuse to play defense, you would exploit it ever chance you got. Or if u knew a dude couldn't handle you in the post, I would feed you every chance I got. That's freaking basketball 101.

In order for you to really see it yourself, y'all would have to set down and actually put in the work to dissect the entire film on every game. Especially early on in the season. In the 2nd half Harden picked his defensive intensity up and actually played better defensively.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Fans just can't be critical or call a spade a spade without someone saying you're hating.

Damn shame people actually think like that.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

OP, did Morey include you already in the team to meet with Durant?

Assuming we will get a meeting of course.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think you being realistic, I just don't see anyone wanting to play for MDA

7. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why do u say he can't play with another pG?
    Lawson? Didn't u know he was suck in Pacers?

8. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Except my point isn't solely assisted and unassisted FGs.. I don't think you got what I said in that post... I broke it down.. Yes there can be the random offensive putbacks(an outlier) or the standard dribble drives or pullups, but personnel dictates the necessity for the varying frequency more than simply style or skillset.

Kyrie has the freedom to play as a dribble drive... ISO heavy guard and still be successful cuz he plays with a superior high usage offensive player that can create for everyone else when he doesn't. Lin is completely irrelevant to the subject... So yeah.

:rolleyes: Once again.. I used the top scorers in the league for a reason.Those guys are also the top scorers on their teams and you're using guys that play with them... Those guys you mentioned are not the superior high usage players on their teams. I mentioned them when I went into the teammates to make a point about what the supporting personnel provides.... Let me more specific so you follow.

Yes Curry is a great catch and shoot player and he takes a lot of these. He also takes a fair share of off the dribble jumpshots too.. Now let's say Draymond Green, Iggy, and Shaun Livingston are all gone or heck let's even say he swapped places with Harden on Houston.

Guess what? His % of unassisted FGs will go up and assisted FGs will go down... Why?

Cuz.... Personnel... Ding ding ding. :grin:
    What do you think playmakers do? Evey player can't find him at the opportune time to score... Every player can't create consistent catch and shoot opportunities. He'll be forced to take more of those off the dribble jumpers and pull-ups.

And I mentioned %AST in additon to show how much he contributes to the teams offense in totality.... Which only further shows he has the largest offensive load in the association... As he's the teams sole legit ball handler, playmaker, and shot creator.

And yet he was a very good catch and shoot player... Top 30 @ best cuz he was in a lesser role and not in his prime which has only just begun now. Also Harden doesn't just have one elite offensive skill... Overall he's an elite scorer, but if you wanna get into specific offensive aspects.

He's an elite ball handler, driver, foul-drawer, free throw shooter, and playmaker... KD is better than both tho....

9. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

"his game doesnt mesh with players who can create assist opportunities." Complete nonsense and idiotic.

Monta wouldn't be a good fit.... Too erratic.
    George Hill would instantly be the second best playmaker and could create a little more for Harden... A good defender and a quality shooter. McCollum would also be great and lessen the offensive load significantly.

Lawson was overrated before coming here... Lost a step and is garbage... He was horrible in every aspect.

11. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You made up nonsense that wasn't factual whatsoever to do just that... Hate. Lol.. the stats aren't bloated... They're factual and I applied reasoning beyond them. There won't be any consistency in games with one playmaker, ball handler, and shot creator... That is the crux of all the teams ills.

12. dmoneybangbang

Great post. Too many folks look for easy answers to complex problems.

13. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

First off... I didn't solely use the stats, but factual reasoning. And your basketball knowledge needs some work...

You won't find many games in a season where we supposedly lost cuz Harden's guy lit us up... You will find many where no one else could score or make an open shot.... Where no one could create some more offense.

You do know that teams exploit offensive liabilities all the time... Look at Rondo.. look at Tony Allen... etc.. there's a reason some guys are left open or sagged off of.

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

It's clear to me you don't really watch enough games and use tired casual narratives.... First off that's a ridiculous example, but if you really wanna talk about that game... Harden wasn't the primary defender... Heck Cisco guarded Brew more and Brewer scored most those points on layups in transition and from steals.... If you're gonna talk about something. Know the facts.

:confused: I listed the top scorers... Boogie is in there, but he was never the focus... The perimeter players in there were if you read the full OP. Reading comprehension my man.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Those comments were a reply to Larvs8, regarding our exchanges... I wasn't intending to direct them at you...

Based on what you are saying here, I would offer the following comments though...
    1) Yes, I agree that offensive liabilities can be exploited at times... but as I stated, they are typically not AS detrimental as a defensive liability.
    2) Yes, there were certainly FAR too many times that our guys couldn't hit open shots... but we had the #7 offense while sporting the #20 defense.... that tells me it should be far easier to improve our overall performance by working on our defensive shortcomings rather than worrying about trying to score more... seems defense would be a far easier opportunity to move the needle and impact the scoring differential...

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

They're not trying to here all this brother. And I commend you for taking the high road. It is very insulting when another member try to check someone's basketball knowledge or simply thinks their opinions are much better than the next man or woman. There was no need for that dude to tell you are anybody else that their basketball knowledge needs some help because their comments doesn't aligns with their's. Lol are you don't watch much basketball. Wow. You have tossed out some very solid points by the way. Our defensive effort was horrible this past season. The season before that we were a top 10 defense.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Thanks for the supportive words, my man! Yeh, far to often a free exchange of ideas and views deteriorate into insults and pot shots... but we all want the same thing - a team we can be proud of! Hopefully, there are better days ahead for our team, so there won't be such divisive issues. :)

After the season that just ended, I WISH I didn't watch that much basketball - and hadn't forked over the cash to get the Rockets League Pass - LOL

18. dmoneybangbang

Wasn't Harden and Howard on the team both seasons.......? One player is an elite offensive player and one was an elite defensive player. I wonder which player didn't fulfill their duty the most.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Weird logic. Harden was clearly the much worse defender. The problems defensively were 3pt defense and transition, not two areas you typically rely on your center for.

Besides, isn't this thread about blaming teammates for not assisting Harden or something?

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Youd be stupid to think durant doesnt know hardens bcarrying the rockets. Hes the players mvp