1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden - and how to build a championship team around him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 11, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, the stats at NBA.com do not show assists for any Play Type. So, we are operating with no SportsVU facts here, one way or another.

But I can say with utmost certainty that this happens:

Screen for cutter
    Pass to cutter
    Catch and pass for assist

This is actually a hallmark of Bobby Knight's motion.

I can best explain it this way: A PnR is a screen for a dribbler, which often forces help defense resulting in a pass for an assist. Likewise, any screen where the person using the screen receives the ball can create a weakness in the defense that requires the engagement of help defense. Thus, cuts using a screen can generate a pass to cutter who then passes for assist, just like they can generate a pass to cutter who then dribble drives for layup. They don't all result in Rip Hamilton, Reggie Miller and Steph Curry shots coming around screens.

There's some inherent bad analysis (or missing analysis) in the SportsVU data posted at NBA whereby the computer algorithms are tagging "Play Types." But one thing that needs to be pointed out with regard to your comments here is that the data does not provide Assists per Play Type. It only provides Shots results and TOs. That is so weird. The data is missing and completely ignoring a prime outcome, which (if provided) would help answer your question "Can you show me any team that actually plays that way?"

bottomline: Once you catch the ball in any Play Type, the SportVU data ignores assists. That is a glaring weakness of a computer doing Big Data analysis of video. How can you not post Assists from ISO plays. That's so weird. Same with Off Screen plays, too.

#201 heypartner, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its true.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

oh i think i figured it out. replace everyone but harden with strippers. that should get the rockets some rings

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hahah sad but true!!

5. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

We've been needing that stretch 4 for a while...I agree with this...

Also agree with OP as well...

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don't know why people say he needs the ball to be successful. He played off ball in OKC and was fine . Now the players he defeated to were world class . Mostly James needs a second, versatile scorer. He's got to get another guy who can score 20 a game .

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Lol, and somehow you actually believe this season is fun for the fans?

You actually could be the first one to admit that enjoying to watch an out of shape fat guy walking up the court with lazy steps, dribbling the ball for 22 seconds and dump it ( more often will be a TOV for a fast break of a score for the other team), and nonetheless, you also like to watch FT a lots?

Good luck to ask Ted Brown to sell tickets for that shlt.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

[​IMG]

9. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

The problem with this team is incredible simple. We are a 3 point shooting team with very average 3 point shooters. If we want to build an offense on the 3 point shot and inside the arc, then we need guys that are actually great at shooting the 3 ball and a great PF or C that can score inside the paint. D-Mo is by far our best post player, and he's been hurt all year. Dwight is really only good in the post for dunks and layups. And we have a bunch of guys that love to lob 3s (Josh Smith, Corey Brewer, Ariza, & Thornton) that are all average of slightly above average 3 point shooters.

Morey seriously deserves to be looked at under the microscope for building a team around the 3 point shot without getting a true lights out 3 point shooter. Here are some teams that shoot around 35% from 3 and shoot anywhere near as many as we do:

Hornets, Blazers, Cavs, Mavericks, Celtics, Hawks, Pistons, Clippers, 76ers

Except for the Cavs, everyone of those teams are .500 or slightly above teams. And the Rockets shoot the most 3 point shots of any team in the league. It's a disastrous combo, and Morey either needs to be fired or he better hire a damn good coach in the offseason.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's pretty entertaining in a dark comedy sort of way

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Except i never said it was currently fun. I thought i was pretty clear that if we can't get Durant, we should make it fun by building it like the Nash Suns with shooters and a fast break offense. Where did i say Harden dribbling in a half court set for 22 seconds is fun?

[​IMG]

12. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

My sincerest thanks to larsv8 and aelliott for fighting the good fight and making this season slightly more tolerable. Don't know why the site makes us spread reputation around, but whatever. Y'all are right.

This team is simply not as talented as perceived. Not at the 3 and not at the D.

As a matter of simple economics, I think you cannot have as your #2 player/#2 cap-space eater a player as flawed as Howard.

I've found myself wondering this week how different the world would be if Golden State had "beaten" us for his services. Unanswered prayers...

The NBA is the hardest league to win. It can also be the "easiest" if you land Tim Duncan.

Lastly, after considering a lot of what's been written here, I find myself thinking that the question isn't why are we so mediocre this year; the question is why were we so good last year.

Last year is much harder to explain.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Harden played exceptionally well last year. He gets injured in the off season doesn't have the benefit of the olympics and the coaching from that. Then combine it with Dwights regression due to injury and just bad coaching and rotations and thats what you get. Harden didn't get injured last year thats literally why we were so good.

14. Mr. Clutch

The current Rockets squad is more like watching the All Star Celebrity game or perhaps the Toyota Tundras

15. Mr. Clutch

I don't think the data backs up your thesis

Also how many cases of lost years happen from an offseason ankle sprain?

16. deshen

deshen Member

The earlier this team realizes that it is impossible to build a championship team around Harden, the better it would be for all the fans and the future of this club.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

What was wrong with the chemistry last year? Same players, different effort. Chemistry is not the problem.

This team has lost confidence, focus and accountability. That starts with the leadership at the top, including GM, HC and franchise player.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Coaching from the Olympics is the key. Harden was focused like a laser after that experience, he even played defense for Pete's sake. Of course, he credited Thibs for that.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Some believe last year was a fluke. Some believe this year is a fluke. Pick your choice.

20. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

One of the most idiotic posts I've read in a long time. But you did set the bar pretty low on the Astros' forum as well.