1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Haralabos Voulgaris on Harden's Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Apr 16, 2014.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty sure nobody think Curry can play defense, either. Him, Harden, and Lillard are all just awful.

That offense tho...

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I watch Rockets and Warriors equally much and Curry doesn't stand out in a negative way nearly as much as Harden. Like, not even close. Curry isn't great. Harden is awful.

Really all comes down to effort. Harden for sure *could* be better than Curry if he wanted to, but so far he obviously hasn't been particular concerned about trying on that end.

Curry's slight built obviously limits him, but he puts in way more effort and is generally aware... which is really all you need from your PG/SG if he's awesome on offense.

We'll see if Harden just took it easy in the regular season and now will start trying in the playoffs. I just wanted to make the point that so far he clearly hasn't and I don't see the basis for the complaints of him not getting more MVP/All-NBA considerations by the national media.

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Curry's not a good defender either, but he's not the worst. At least he puts forth effort as HMMMMM mentioned above. The only time I've seen Curry's lack of D become a problem for the Warriors is when bigger guards post him up. But that requires a team to change it's offensive approach in order to try and exploit that mismatch in the post, which may not be optimal, especially with a rim protector like Bogut.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I jumped out of my seat when I saw reddick light his ass up. I immediately logged on to clutchfans and spazzed out. Haven't done that since Battier was here. At that time people were making excuses about an injury.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Big f**king deal- I don't need to pay attention to him or any gambler or prognosticator to watch my damn team. Yous turns on da TV and yous watch da ******g game, period. Outsiders can say whatever the hell they want, but during the playoffs, my attitude is just like it was in 1994 and 1995- f**k them all. I'd take an opinion from a ClutchFans member any day over an outsider, any damn day. This is not just ClutchFans, this is ClutchFam- and family sticks together.

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Why are you always so angry? Do you find it difficult to express yourself without using such strong language?

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think people get frustrated with Harden because he'll often in the 4th quarter hit a switch and start playing great D, and the following game be back to not giving a rats ass. Curry on the other hand, generally has the effort, but has limitations but it stays relatively normalised and so their team compensates.

Lance Stephenson is a ****ty defender, Hill is mediocre, West has never been good, but their effort was consistent enough so that Hibbert always knew where he needed to be.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Read his tweets. It's clear those tweets are coming from him watching a game and being horrified at watching Harden's bad D. There's no such statistic as "he doesn't care to play defense."

If anything, his tweets imply that the numbers for Harden on D aren't as bad as he looks on TV. Which makes sense. Morey has come out and said Harden is the best SG and his mind 1st team All-NBA. Which means either (A) Harden's defense may be bad, but the impact is mitigated from him being a guard or (B) Harden's defense isn't as bad on paper as he looks on TV.

9. chongx04

chongx04 Member

I'm not sure if he's just turning it up in the 4th quarter because he randomly decides to try. I think honestly it's a conditioning issue. Haralabos had a tweet about how the series where Harden tried the most on D (MIA in finals) he completely disappeared on offense. People said this was because he crumbled under the spotlight, but he was in even less great shape than he is now. I'm not sure if Harden can play 43 minutes on both sides of the ball playing hard. The dude's conditioning just might not be there.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if Harden works really hard on conditioning this offseason. His gut isn't as noticeable as it was last year, so he obviously worked somewhat hard this offseason.

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The best defense is a good offense.

Lock this **** up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. VBG

VBG Member

It's mediocre. He has physical limitations not effort ones.

12. Aleron

He had a dreadful game 1 (okc won that anyway), but he was good in games 2 and 5, and his shot was off in games 3 and 4.

13. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

There's an eleven minute "James harden is terrible on defense" compilation on the font page of NBAreddit.
    I don't know whether to be disgusted by his defense or the fact someone took the time to compile eleven minutes for a hate comp.

I really hope harden shrugs off this notion of terrible defense. The hate on him is getting ridiculous.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

fify :)

1 person likes this.
  15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

^^^ also, it was originally much longer than 11 min but he was nice enough to shorten it lol

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I don't hate Harden. I've given him credit on various occasions on this board, the Clutchfans blog and my twitter feed.

Putting this video together actually didn't take me very long because I pretty much only had to sort the clips I collected over the course of the season.

I did feel kinda dirty/bad when tweeting this out, but let's be real here. This video exists because Harden didn't give a **** about playing defense this year, not because I have some agenda against him.

1 person likes this.
  17. Aleron

Has anyone ever noticed that every time Harden beats someone off the dribble, it's because he's a great offensive player and every time he gets beaten off the dribble it's because he's a bad defender?

Poor rotations, over helping, failure to close out, falling asleep on cutters, those are bad defense and he does them a fair bit, being beaten off the dribble is par for the course post hand checking. If a player gets beaten at the 3 point line and his man gets to the rim, the last 20 feet isn't the perimeter defenders fault.

#117 Aleron, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  18. torocan

torocan Member

Original footage was over double the length. So really, that video is less than half the actual footage that Hmmmmm had available.

19. SPORTSBET

SPORTSBET Member

I've been saying this for a long time.

20. SPORTSBET

SPORTSBET Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wVYJULACcao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

heres a vid if not alrdy posted