1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Valentine's Day 1995

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dshay7, Feb 13, 2015.

1. dshay7

dshay7 Member

On February 14th, 1995, the Rockets traded Otis Thorpe (and change) for Clyde Drexler (and change. If you can call Tracy Murray change).

I remember that day like it was yesterday. It had been rumored since right before the All Star break that Portland might trade him, but even with his relationship with Hakeem, him coming to Houston seemed like a longshot. Needless to say, that was one of the best Valentine's Days ever in Houston history.

We were stuck in a rut, hovering right around .500 if memory serves, and didn't look like a championship team at all. But with Clyde in the mix, his energy and hunger for a title propelled us into the playoffs and began a run that is legendary. That 1995 playoff team took out 4 60 win (or near 60 win) teams, all without home court advantage.

So please indulge my nostalgia as we pay tribute to one of the greatest Valentine's Day presents ever. Clyde Drexler, who helped deliver back to back titles to Houston. Thanks Clyde!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hear hear. Let's find our 2015 Drexler. Morey needs to get his box of chocolates ready.

3. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I was at the game where the trade was announced and he came out at halftime!! Good times...

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

let's hope Goran lands in our laps this year

fingers crossed

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

:eek:....a dshay7 sighting!

Wow breh, your post count has me baffled, you really should post more! Your post provided us with a solid in Rockets history and reminded us that 20yrs ago we were partying like it was 1999! Ooops I better get out of the way before tinman takes over the thread....;)

(P.S) Post more...:grin: