1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Retirement Pancakes

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 31, 2022.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While I didn't always enjoy his articles nor radio appearances, he was an institution in Houston and especially Texans journalism and I have to admit I will miss him.

2. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

McClane lost me when he continued to cover the Oilers after they left. Should have followed them to Possum Holler.

3. raining threes

I thought he retired 10 years ago.

Or atleast that's when he started mailing it in and being in the movies became more important than doing his job.

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

As time went on McClain didn't have the same level of information that he had when he was younger. When the Oilers were still in town he was locked in, interested in football and had by far the best contacts in town.

He eventually became a joke, he just mailed it in.....

I will give him credit though. He said that Nick Saban would be a great head football coach someday when he was just a low level assistant for the Oilers.

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

This 100%. It was then that I realized he was dependent on the team for a job and therefore could never have an unbiased opinion. He was in Bud's pocket the whole time.

With the Texans it's been the same thing every year - fawning, glowing profiles in the off-season and training camp, defending them when things start to go south, and then piling on when they inevitably go completely off the rails. Supposedly a tough critic, he's always been the last person to call them out. But even he can't continue to prop up this regime. He's yet another rat off the sinking ship. I wonder if he'll let loose on 610 now that he doesn't have to cozy up to the team for morsels.

rusHour and arkoe like this.
  6. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Watch out I-HOP.
    Gonna loose your arse in the all you can eat pancakes special. More free time to solidify himself as the customer of the year.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He had a small role in a Harmony Korine movie. He's okay in my books.

[​IMG]

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I made fun of and was annoyed by McClain over the years, but at the same time this makes me a little sad. More of an end of an era type thing.

UTSA2step, whag00, desihooper and 3 others like this.
  10. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Pancakes has become pointless and has been for years. McClain was the biggest joke in all of Houston media and it always irked me how he seemed to be the general Houston sports go to guy for all of the national sports pundits. I am more annoyed than anything that he is going to continue having his weekly radio appearances. For what? He didn't have any insight while he was working and now he's going to have even less than that. A while ago he stated that when he retired he was going to move up North, good, go away, leave Houston alone. Give us back Richard Justice and take John Lopez with you.

rusHour likes this.
  11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Hey now ! I live on possum holler and I’m still a Texans fan. Plus I didn’t marry my hot cousin because I was already married while moving here but if I wasn’t married at the time of moving…who knows lol

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He will not be missed.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know he isn't well-liked among most of you guys, but I remember when I was a kid, I'd always wait for the day he'd be on KTRH SportsBeat talk shows to hear what he had to say about the Oilers. At least I think that's where he was. He was "Mr. Oilers Insider" for me. The days he and Joel Buchsbaum would show on the shows were my favorite days of the week. lol.

Happy retirement Mr. McClain. I'm still waiting for the year to give a damn again about the Texans.

STR8Thugg, UTSA2step, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  14. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Two things,
    I also pine for the Luv Ya Blue days

And this time I think 3 years from now if Mills pans out, we will all be able to smile again.
    Faith in Nick C.

15. CrazyJoeDavola

Well, if he is announcing his own retirement, it can't be true.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Lol, nice one. Yeah he killed the Watson deal to ATL for his final prediction.

John should have retired about 5-20 years ago, but hey he's a HOF. As a retired military officer, I didn't like them calling him "The General". Hopefully, the Cronic hires some fresh blood. Hey I got an idea, how about Aaron Wilson? DW is in Ohio now, let's welcome him back.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Happy retirement, Mr. McClain

18. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, as a kid back in the dark days before the internet, his Sunday "Around the NFL" column was a must read, he had serious contacts around the league; and his Oilers coverage was fantastic.

raining threes and ROCKSS like this.
  19. Damion Laverne

Rest in Piss, Pancakes

Fulgore and J.R. like this.