1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy in Houston: Argentina's Scola about to make his mark on NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 30, 2007.

1. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I'm not sure what else you'd say Chuck would be better at? I like Chuck a lot, and if he can stop committing fouls on defense he'll be an excellent defensive player, but right now I think its fair to say (from what we've seen) Scola looks to be better at Chuck in all categories but rebounding. That being said, he hasn't played a minute in the NBA yet, so time will tell.

2. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

i think it is true that hayes is a better rebounder, but scola boxes out his man more so that his teammates can secure the rebound.

3. redao

redao Member

This is where Scola is better than Hayes.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you think Scola looks to be a better defensive player than Chuck, I strongly disagree.

Both will have issues with foul trouble next season -- that is inevitable. And both will also have issues guarding large, athletic post players around the basket. But Chuck has already proven to be a very good defensive player overall (he has quick feet, quick hands, he is smart, and he hustles his ass off), while Scola will at best be average.

For some reason, many people only notice when Chuck fouls on defense, and overlook all the positive defensive plays he routinely makes. Chuck is more than just a rebounder. This notion that he is just a one-dimensional player is purely a myth.

5. Barkley

Barkley Member

Looks like Scola will be a really great fit for us. I can't wait until next season begins...

6. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Chuck does a great job of moving his feet and taking charges maybe a trick he learned from Battier, but he is to small to really shutdown most PFs in the low block. They can turn and shoot over him way to easy. That's why Scola at 6'10" should be a little better defender and tougher to shoot over. Time will tell.

The two biggest reasons Scola should start is because he can hit a midrange shot and his passing ability fits Adelman's system to a T. Scola's defender will not be able to just leave him and double up Yao like they do with Chuck in the game. The only way Scola doesn't start is if we don't have enough bench scoring and I don't see that happening with Francis or MJ + Bonzi coming off the bench.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Even though Chuck is small, I think he does a pretty good job contesting shots. I don't agree that its easy for opposing players to just turn and shoot. I remember when Chuck was defending Tim Duncan pretty much one on one down the stretch in a game last year, and he held his own.

I think Scola is more like 6'9, and he doesn't get up off his feet nearly as quickly as Chuck. We'll see.

8. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Mutumbo might not even come back to the Rockets(hopefully I'm wrong). It'd be Butler and Hayes. That might work, since Butler is more of a offensive player. Can't tell until the season starts.

9. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

not really. butler only played in 11 games for the spurs last season, averaging about 3.7 ppg.

10. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2007/08/has_dikembe_mutombo_been_hangi.html

August 30, 2007

Has Dikembe Mutombo been hanging out with Roger Clemens?

The next thing you know, we'll be hearing that Dikembe Mutombo is working on his fastball and is ready to throw a little chin music at Carlos Boozer next spring in the playoffs.

Can you imagine Deke as Roger Clemens?

Well, consider that one of the possibilities that the 41-year-old center is rolling around inside his venerable head is sitting out the first couple of months of the season and maybe joining the Rockets in January when he gets a gauge on how they're playing and where he might fit into Rick Adelman's new scheme.

It is just a possibility, but it is an interesting twist as Mutombo continues to weigh the pros and cons of playing another season in the NBA.

The pros of such a scenario for the Rockets is that it could keep Mutombo fresher for the playoffs, when Adelman feels he truly needs another veteran defensive presence behind Yao in the middle. The con is that it usually take Mutombo several months to play his way into game shape and develop a rhythm and, with a completely revamped look to the team, he might still be lost when the post-season arrives.

Mutombo and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey met about 10 days ago in Atlanta and had a pleasant discussion. The Rockets had earlier made an offer of roughly $1.2 million, but would likely be willing to go as high as $1.9 million (the maximum they can pay) to have Mutombo back.

There is believed to be maybe one other team out there showing interest. But the general feeling is that if Mutombo plays in 2007-08, it will be with the Rockets.

The whole season or half of it? Seems the Rocket Effect could spill over to the Rockets.

Either way, I'll try to pry a decision out of Deke next week when I see him in Johannesburg, South Africa. I'll be in the neighborhood, enroute to a safari at Kruger National Park. He'll be making his annual pilgrimmage to the motherland for take part in the NBA Basketball Without Borders program.

• • •
    Much rush to judgment on the Rafer Alston situation. Hold onto your horses. There's a whole lot of the legal system to play out before the Rockets could even dream of voiding the three years, $15 million left on his contract. Unless somebody comes forward with evidence — or at least a witness — on behalf of the guy who says he was slashed/stabbed by Alston, it could end up as just another bad decision by a guy who should know better than to put himself into that type of situation.

Is it fair that an NBA player can't go out on the town in any town without fear of being a possible target? No. Life isn't fair. It's a tradeoff that celebrities make for their fame and fortune.

What Alston has likely done is sealed his fate in Houston, though he's made it difficult for the Rockets to deal him. Charlotte, in need of a point guard, re-upped Jeff McInnis. Miami is still looking around, but not in this or any other lifetime are they going to give up Udonis Haslem for Alston. Cleveland could still use another point guard to slide in alongside Daniel Gibson, but the Cavs aren't just going to hand over draft picks. Boston could use somebody to drive that brand new Eastern Conference limo. But would you give the keys to Rafer?

• • •

The more you see of Luis Scola in the FIBA Americas tournament, the more you see just what a solid player he is. He scored 23 and had 12 rebounds in the win over Brazil on Wednesday. He continued to show his mid-range shot. He made a strong move for dunk early. He hit a big jumper in overtime. And most impressively, he found a way to get to the line 18 times. As SportsIllustrated.com said, he's the best player in the tournament who has never played a minute in the NBA. It will be fun to watch him against Team USA.

• • •
    Yes, you read that earlier item right. You're back on your own for the next couple of weeks. I'm bound for South Africa, in search of lions, leopards, elephants, rhino and cape buffalo — the big five. But I'm gonna stop in at Basketball Without Borders, where the top 100 African prospects gather each year, and might drop you an update if I spot an 8-foot power forward that Rick Adelman can use next spring.

Be good and talk among yourselves.

Posted by Fran Blinebury at August 30, 2007 04:57 PM

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Most of us have only seen Scola play six games. We haven't seen him play one second of NBA action. He's not a lock for anything but an opportunity right now. And nice pun on the Rafer situation. :D

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Not a fair assumption. butler is a pretty good low post player. just see he's clips as a knick. he was pretty much outplaying Curry at one stage. he as pretty good hands around the basket. he dosent fumbel many passes and is a good fibisher.

People here will be very suprised how good this guy is.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Who edited this?