1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Food Stamp Cut Day to Conservatives and Libertarians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 1, 2013.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

I see your point but do you think this can somehow be a model to fix the miss use of the program.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Unless there is a widespread and systematic problem with computers going amuck and putting more money on people's cards, then it isn't a model for anything. This was a computer glitch, plain and simple. When the glitch was discovered, people took advantage. There is no evidence that this has ever happened before or since.

3. Refman

Much appreciated. I am all for getting spending on social programs under control, but we have to do it reasonably. You can't base cuts to needed programs based on one time events. There is such a thing as throwing out the baby with the bath water.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://inplainsight.nbcnews.com/_ne...ing-to-meet-rising-need?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1

Thanksgiving: Food stamp cuts leave pantries struggling to meet rising need

Food pantries and food banks struggled to meet demand this Thanksgiving, just weeks after food stamp cuts for millions of Americans took effect.

On Nov. 1, the 47 million people who rely on food stamps — also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) — saw a decrease in benefits when Congress allowed a 2009 program funding boost to expire. As a result, a family of four will receive $36 less in food stamps in November and each month thereafter, according to the USDA.

“All of our food banks have really ratcheted up what they have had to serve,” said Ross Fraser, media relations director at Feeding America, a network of 200 food banks that serve 61,000 food pantries across the nation. In 2010, Feeding America determined that 37 million Americans turn to food pantries each year.

Across the nation, food pantry workers say they have seen a rush of clients, including many who have never turned to a pantry before but now “need help more often because they have fewer food stamps,” Fraser said.

Marianne Smith Vargas, chief philanthropy officer at Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia, said, “We are hearing story after story about how a family was just making ends meet on what they received in food stamps prior to the cut. Now, even the smallest cut is forcing them to come to the Foodbank for help.”

This month, Foodbank has seen a 40 percent jump in families seeking assistance compared with November 2012, and most of those families are first-time clients, Vargas said.

At NY Common Pantry in Manhattan, officials have seen a 25 percent increase in new families in 2013, “even before the SNAP cuts took effect,” said Kelly Barkley, a development associate.

So far, the pantry has been able to provide for the influx of new applicants, executive director Stephen Grimaldi said, but additional potential SNAP cuts looming in Congress “may change this in the near future.”

Barkley said that NY Common Food Pantry has also had to adjust to a lack of government funding this year. In 2012, the U.S. government purchased $560 million worth of food for charities, but in 2013 the funding was slashed to $495 million. Feeding America’s director of tax and commodity policy, Carrie Calvert, said food banks will have to find a way to compensate for the 25 percent decrease in federal food deliveries.

The reductions in government aid occurring in tandem with the November food stamp cuts have forced NY Common Food Pantry to “nimbly use resources,” Barkley said. “Perhaps there’s some days where we don’t offer poultry, but we will have another source of protein,” she said.

Pacitia Trim, 31, a single mother of seven who visits NY Common Pantry every two weeks, has detected the cutbacks. “I noticed that they used to do a lot more meats and things and sometimes eggs … I’ve not seen that now,” she said.

Trim said she relies on her food stamps to fill the gaps of what she’s not getting at the food pantry, but those run out within three weeks, which was common among SNAP recipients even before the cuts, according to Feeding America.

After the cuts, SNAP benefits allow an average of $1.40 per person per meal, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Meanwhile the average cost of a meal in most states hovers around $2.50. In New York, the average price of a meal is $2.68.

Trim said she was grateful that NY Common Pantry would provide her with a turkey for Thanksgiving. Only those who are members of the food pantry can register for the holiday extra, she said, and since so many new people are visiting now, “there are still going to be a lot of people that aren’t going to be able to collect this year,” she said.

“It’s really stressful,” said Trim, whose children range in age from four months to 13 years.

At the Door of Hope food pantry in Los Angeles, director Lydia Cardenas sees countless clients facing Trim’s predicament. Prior to Nov. 1, she saw one high-traffic day a week, but “now we’re always busy,” she said.

“It’s impossible to keep up with the demand, because everybody is struggling,” said Cardenas, who recently registered for unemployment herself after realizing it was impossible to remain salaried at the pantry due to funding cuts.

“I’m a volunteer, effective October 31,” Cardenas said, but added, “When you help somebody else, it takes the focus off your own problems.”

The pantry was able to assemble 55 Thanksgiving baskets, but Cardenas wishes they could have made enough to avoid adding applicants to an ever-growing waiting list. “The hard part of doing this is that we hate saying no,” she said. “We just don’t have the ability to do much more.”

5. ling ling

ling ling Member

Alrighty then.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well another right wing myth based on their imaginings and fears has been debunked. The old dependency myth.

Hilary Hoynes is a University of California at Berkeley economist who wrote a particularly notable paper last year. Instead of increasing dependency, as conservative critics have repeatedly claimed, Hoyen’s paper showed that, for women at least, food stamp use during pregnancy and early childhood has exactly the opposite impact of what conservatives allege: It actually increases economic self-sufficiency when children grow up, in the next generation.

That was just one of two main results reported in “Long Run Impacts of Childhood Access to the Safety Net,” which Hoynes co-authored with Diane Whitmore Schanzenbach and Douglas Almond. As stated in the paper’s abstract, access to food stamps for women leads to “increases in economic self-sufficiency (increases in educational attainment, earnings, and income, and decreases in welfare participation).” Hoynes and her colleagues took advantage of the fact that food stamp programs were established county-by-county over a period of years, creating a sort of “natural experiment” beginning half a century in the past

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/04/gop_debunked_on_food_stamps_everything_they_say_about_snap_is_wrong/

8. glynch

duplicate

9. Refman

So you cite a paper that only deals with half the population (women) and only seems to discuss whether their offspring will use food stamps and does not,touch on whether that individual woman will be self sufficient later.

Yeah...that seems to deal with the entire issue. Geez.

10. False

False Member

I agree with you Refman, the paper certainly doesn't get the whole issue. It does however seemingly get at your stated concern of whether it creates self-sufficiency in women.

Even if it doesn't get to every little nook and cranny you seemingly want to be able to come to terms with the fact that the narrative the conservative movement has been pushing since Reagan is wrong, I'm not exactly sure what you expect from social sciences. I think that limited studies seem slightly better sources than the knee-jerk reactions that come from the gut.

Conservatives need to do their job and come up with a credible idea of what to do to improve the positive effects given to us by programs like food stamps instead of simply cutting and cutting. To do so, they are going to need to start relying on something other than gut-instinct.

11. glynch

So is it your position that if it fosters less dependency on literally millions of poor children that this is not significant?

So where is your evidence (not common conservative assumptions or an intuition) that it creates dependency?

If you have no actual evidence that it creates dependency why not possibly error on the side of helping these women and certainly their children based on this evidence?

12. Refman

So if I question whether your source actually covers the entire issue that you state it covers, that somehow makes me an enemy of women and children? Nice logical leap, Counselor.

13. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Legit question, awaiting Refman's response.

14. Refman

I never made a statement whether here is long term dependence or not. I merely said his article did not address the entire issue.

Since I didn't make a statement either way, I need no evidence to support what I said. It was glynch who made the assertion that there is no long term dependence. You should be asking him for his evidence regarding men and the women themselves as opposed to their offspring (which is what his article addresses).

It is baffling that you would want evidence for the complete lack of a statement that I made.

15. glynch

Somehow makes (you) an enemy of women and children? don't be a drama queen.

BTW feel free to cite to any article showing proof for the idea that food stamps create dependency for folks other than those in the study.

16. Refman

I don't know whether it does or doesn't. You certainly hear stories, but I'm not sure it isn't just politically motivated crap. I pointed out that your article didn't cover the entire issue, but only a portion of it. When I pointed that out, you (as usual) responded with indignation that i am against helping them out. The implication is that I am in favor of hungry children. I call,you on it, and that makes me a drama queen? Cute.

You made the assertion, with some degree of bravado and indignation, that there is no such dependency. Feel free to provide evidence to support the remainder of your contention.

17. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

liberalism is a mental disorder.

1 person likes this.
  18. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Mike Savage is a Rockets fan?

19. Refman

Any type of extremism is a bad thing. Think of normality on a bell curve. Most people are somewhere in the middle. That being said, I don't find it accurate or useful to refer to it as a mental disorder anymore than I do the other poster referring to those that disagree with him as sociopaths. Until we get such perforations out of politics, we are destined to not get anywhere and will instead snipe at one another.