1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Birthday Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tim562, Jan 21, 2010.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Mad Max was an undeniably great player, but he was also a head case, and what we can see from Les is that he just won't tolerate knuckleheads.

2. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

happy birthday hakeem thanks for the championships and all the years at UH and with the rockets

[​IMG]

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

My aunt was married to Carroll Dawson back in the 90's, so I went to a few old playoff games in my day. One of the games CD took me back to the locker room to meet some of the players, Hakeem was giving an interview to a woman at the time, and as a kid, it struck me as strange that all of the players were just walking around buck naked with a female reporter in the room, but I digress. CD interrupted the interview to introduce me,

CD: "I understand that Hakeem is your favorite player?"

(paused because at the time we were living in San Antonio and though I was a Rockets fan MJ was probably my favorite player at the time, with Hakeem a very close second)

Me: "yes, my favorite"

At this point, Horry walks up and says,"Man, I thought you said I was your favorite player, ha," everyone has a laugh.

Hakeem: "Did you enjoy the game tonight?"

Me: "yes sir." (such a polite child)

Shook a couple more hands Cassel, Kenny, ect., got some autographs, but had nothing to sign except for a cowboys cap I was wearing (I know, what the hell was I thinking). A great experience for me all around that I will never forget.

Before the bashing comes, you know, the why didn't you say this or why didn't you do that, let me tell you that I was all of about 8 or 9 years old and was in complete awe of the situation.

CD sent me an autographed game ball signed by all of the 94-95 Rockets later that year, sadly a few years after that our house was robbed and all of my Rockets memorabilia and my childhood memories from that time were lost.

Double Post! :rolleyes:

4. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

All thanks to Hakeem Olajuwon....for 2 Championships and for the Dream we should have about Houston Rockets.....you have been the best player in Rockets

BELIEVE in THE DREAM....

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBrEsNS9zKg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBrEsNS9zKg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Hakeem , u truly are the greatest center ever. Wish you got paid like 22 million cuzz u truly deserve it. Happy Bday.

6. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Happy Birthday Hakeem!

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DREAM!!!!

He is my favorite player of all-time!!

and read my sig about Olajuwon :cool:

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I have an autographed ball from Hakeem, encased in a square display. Cost me $500 at a charity auction (circa early 90's).

Very proud of it.

9. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Thank you for sharing this video. It gave me chills. Long live Hakeem!

10. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

well i cant start threads but I have a Hakeem bobblehead from his last game as a rocket. when they played the twolves in 2001 here. i had two but my ex gf took 1. I think I want to sell it. I might try ebay. I would imagine I could get $40 atleast, The reason I want to sell it is because It reminds me of her at the game and I need to get it out of the house. Plus,me and her missed the best part at the end of game when he came back out and everyone chanted his name. We left to beat traffic. Anyone here want it? Im not sure how to go about selling it on here.Its in mint btw. No box though. No scratches and never bobbled. It just in storage box for last 9 years. I guess If I get a nice offer you can have it by either paypal or meet in person. I also have a original 1994 Championship section A front page newspaper with bob costas and the whole team with trophy for sale also.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If I am late, I can only hope Mr. Olajuwon will forgive me, an ardent fan going back to his days at that sterling seat of higher learning, the Jewel of the Gulf Coast, where Coach Guy Lewis told him a basketball was round, the place they named the city after, The University of Houston.

Happy birthday, big fella.

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

My wife and I watched pretty much every Rockets game from the Hakeem era. We were young back then, and it just became a ritual for us to watch the games together. Something truly special.

Nowadays, she watches now and then (i.e. kids), but I am still an ardent Rockets fan.

We will always love the Rockets and Hakeem. :)

13. jason3333

jason3333 Member

the greatest of all time! i would stilltake him over jordan!

14. Joe Gent

Joe Gent Member

He is the main part of the reason I even became a rockets fan. I remember in 1990 one night in Corpus Christi, Tx (i think it was a national game) I saw the most entertaining game ever. I remember as a kid asking everyone how you say his name. Ola....what....?? Later that year I moved to Houston, the first thing that popped in my mind is "I wonder if I can catch more Rockets game", since that year I never stopped loving the rockets. :grin:

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thank for that! True story. I met hakeem in like 81,82 something like that. Alvin franklin is from La Marque and he used to bring dream down with him sometimes especially during the holidays. We were at this ice cream palor and he was talking and alvin and crew was talking about today being his birthday. Well I'm a trippin because it was mine also. I also didn't know dream could eat so much ice cream,lol. He gave me one of those strong handshakes and told me happy birthday in that strong accent he had back then. I was born in 71, so you could imagine what that was like to a 10 or 11 yr old. I was a akeem fan before then, but that sealed the deal,lol.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

And someone said a blocked shot is overrated! Child Please!

17. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

In before too late.
    Happy Everyday to Dream.