1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

hands down we are better than the mavericks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brahma rocket, Aug 29, 2000.

1. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i dont even think they can compete with us , especially after trading all those guys for christian laetnner.

we have a better point, power forward , better center, and better bench.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I am sure the Rocks are a better team, but lets take a closer look at this theory of yours

Rockets / Mavs
    C Cato / Laettner - the numbers say Laettner
    PF Taylor / Nowitzki - Nowitski
    SF Walt / Finley - Finley by a mile
    SG Anderson / Alexander - Anderson just
    PG Francis / Eisley - Francis easy
    B Dream / Bradley - Dream by an elbow
    B Cat / Davis - Cat not even close
    B K Thomas / Trent - even
    B Collier / E Thomas - Thomas
    B Langhi / Najera - even
    B Mooch / Nash - Even

So thats

Rockets- 4
    Mavs- 4
    and 3 evens

Overall i still think the rockets are better but it's a lot closer than initially thought, basically cause Finley and Nowitski are stars and Alexander and Laettner will both help big time.

Smeg

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

3. rock

rock Member

I never thought the day would come when we would even have to argue whether or not the Rockets could take the Mavericks. But the Mavericks have gotten better as the Rockets have during the end of last season. Right now it looks like our roster has an edge. I guess we'll just have to see how it all turns out.

------------------

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

So I'm the one that has to bring up the Don Nelson factor? [​IMG] He sucks.

Nelson seems lost in today's game. He couldn't consistantly win with all that talent they used to have in Golden State (CWebb, Spree, Gugliotta, etc. Not to mention "Run TMC"). Trust me, he'll have that team run into the ground by midseason.

------------------

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I agree with sammy. Nelson is a terrible coach. I will be suprised if the Mavs finish .500

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

6. Colby

Colby Member

I moved to DFW in Jan and have some extra insight into the Mavs.
    ***Let it be known, I am not a Mavs fan, I am a Houston sports fan since '85****

Trent is better than KT. He was injured last year, but the year b/f he ave 17pts 8 rb and a carreer 50% fg. I think those numbers are better than KT.

Nash is better than Mooch. Nash's assists don't show it b/c the offense runs though Finley (5.5 ast for a guy that shoots 20 fg/g). Nash was the Pg on a .500 team last year, while Norris racked up his stats in garbage time on a team that played well down the stretch to avoid the embarassment of not winning 30 games.

This will be a good rivalry this year. Mark my words, we will be fighting the Mavs for a playoff spot.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

[This message has been edited by Colby (edited August 29, 2000).]

7. SmeggySmeg

Colby,

i agree on the mooch.nash comparison, i just put even cause for alot of people here on bbs the sun seems to shine out of mooches arse (not me i think he is just an adequate back-up pg, for which they are a dime a dozen in the NBA), as for trent v thomas, i was basing the even on whether trent is fit, if he is your right again.

Smeg

------------------

[This message has been edited by SmeggySmeg (edited August 29, 2000).]

8. Colby

Colby Member

Yes, Trent seems to be fit and ready to play according to the sports radio up here.

------------------

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

And you haven't mentioned Terry Mills. He gives the Mavs a good shooter and rebounder (sort of like a better KT)

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

10. SmeggySmeg

Cobly,

will Alexander see major minutes or even start??

What about the PG spot eisley or nash

And the Centre postion??

Smeg

------------------

11. Colby

Colby Member

Alexander will see alot of minutes. Cuban was on the radio tonight making it very clear. He said they traded Ceballos for that reason and are trying to trade Barros. Finley is still your starter. Alexander would have to get real good, real fast to replace 22.6pts, 6.3 rb, 5.3 ast.

As for center it look like a comittee. Bradly will start, and CL back up C, PF.
    But sometimes Dirk will slide to C on a weaker center, or during hack a whoever to draw the center out of the lane w/ his 3pt shot.

Cuban says that they go into camp w/ no set PG, but it looks like Nash's to lose.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Colby (edited August 29, 2000).]

12. SmeggySmeg

what ceballos gone, who plays SF- is it Finley and Dirk

------------------

13. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

Hey Colby,

You going to the pre-season opener against Dallas. I live up here too and it does seem that Mavs and Rocks are going to be exciting games. Don't get me wrong. My loyalty is solidly with the Rocks.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going. I'll report how the game is.

I think the Rocks will get a low seed and possible the Mavs too. The Mavs are going to depend on whether they develop as a team with all the new players.

------------------

14. Sane

Sane Member

I'm pretty sure they're gonna use Courtney the way we use Cuttino, instant scorer off the bench......When he DOES come in, Trent will go out, Nowitzki to the 4, Finley to the 3 and Courtney the 2......

Their starting line-up:

C-Bradley
    PF-Trent
    SF-Nowitzki
    SG-Finley
    PG-Eisley

Their bench is pretty damn good too:

Courtney A., Etan Thomas, Laettner, Donnel Harvey, Nash, Hubert Davis, Terry Mills, Bill Curley.........

We're gonna be rivals for a long time, but I give Houston the edge.......

------------------

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Smeg,

You have another matchup that I don't agree with. Dirk over Taylor.......... wrong answer. Dirk is over rated he's another Toni K., nice offense but no defense at all. Not that Taylor is another Hakeem, but I do believe that Taylor is better on the offensive end. As far as the Rocks against the Mavs, I would have to give the Rocks the edge just because of coaching. Although Dallas has about 10 Coaches, they still have Dumb Dumb as the head coach.

As far the pg position, my opinion is it's Eisley to lose. Nash has not worked out liked they expected. As a matter of fact Nash would get booed in his own arena.

Also it's going to be very interesting to watch how the Finley, Alexander ordeal works out. Although Finley is a Star right now, Alexander is a Super Star waiting to unleashed. By the way both play the sg..

I have been in Dallas for almost 9 yrs and I have watched this mess of an organization for that long.

Thank God for DirecTv and the League Pass...

------------------
    When we win the fans are behind us. When we go thru a re-building process they dog us out..

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I would compare them this way:

Rockets / Mavs
    C Cato / Laettner - Laettner
    PF Taylor / Nowitzki - slight edge to Taylor, Nowitzki even worse than Taylor defensively
    SF Walt / Finley - Finley by a mile
    SG Anderson / Alexander - Anderson
    PG Francis / Eisley - Francis
    B Dream / Bradley - Dream
    B Cat / Davis - Cat
    B K Thomas / Trent - Trent, easy choice here
    B Collier / E Thomas - Not sure, but Collier is better offensively, Thomas defensively, call it a wash.
    B Langhi / Najera - Have to go with Langhi, I don't think Najera will even play
    B Mooch / Nash - Close, but Nash is the better shooter, played hurt all year last year. Wash?

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What's funny is that Nash vs. Norris is not an easy call, and Nash makes like 6 million a year. More evidence that Cato is not overpaid...

18. haven

haven Member

TheFreak: Citing evidence of other people being overpaid is not a good way to justify Cato's contract. Dallas making a mistake is not a good excuse for Houston making a similar one...

Nash got 6m because DN thought he was the next John Stockton.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

haven -- comparing your salary to that of your peers is the only way to determine if you're overpaid for what you do. So, yes, I would say it is a good way to justify his contract.

20. haven

haven Member

TheFreak: That's a non sequitur. you're not comparing him to his peers. You're comparing one badly chosen salary to another. Why don't you compare Cato to similarly productive players?

Bring back some other players with Cato's career stats and at his position... and not just one.

I mean, by your logic... if I were a Cav'sfan, I could say that Kemp isn't overpaid, since Howard makes almost as much and is much less productive....

Or, if you want to do it this way, first prove that Nash's contract is justified, and by extension, Cato's is too.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited August 30, 2000).]