1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hand gun

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Nov 11, 2007.

?

Would you kill this bast@rd rodent?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Do all marsupials have huge rat tails?

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Ok...it would appear I'm culturally on the outside here. Maybe because my father was an angry redneck with poor eyesight, but by the the time I was 10, knocking possums off fences with an old Browning .22 rifle was one of my dire, assigned duties.

Once neighbors complained and a constable showed up. I explained that the gunshots were merely to kill the foul nasty vermin, and produced said possum to the authorities and I was left alone.

Yes, one sure fire way my allowance was raised as a child was confirmed kills of rats, poisonous snakes and rabid dogs. If you are worried about structural damage or friendly fire, buy rat shot.

I'll also add, this depends on where you live. It wasn't appreciated much when I lived in downtown LA.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is only like a rat's tail in that it is hairless. The tail is muscular and prehensile - they can use it to pick things up or to hang from trees. They also have thumbs on their back feet (another arboreal trait).

[​IMG]

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Interestingly enough, I spotted one in my yard last night. I live out in the country, so it's not a strange sight. The little bugger was in my driveway when I pulled up around 11:30, and snuck around the corner after I got my flashlight and started looking for him.
    Until I can verify that they are damaging any of my property, I'll leave them alone.
    Not long ago, there were 2 small skunks makinga little racket on my back patio in the middle of the night. I turned the light on and caught them in the act.... :eek:

The freaks come out at night. :D

5. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I'll second the rifle suggestion. Way easier to hit those things with a rifle than a handgun.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans obviously has some"Opossom" experts in the house, If your really pissed get a paintball gun and have some fun turning it green and purple....

7. Sextuple Double

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Other well known Marsupians are koala, Kangeroo and wombats

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Why do you have a picture of a piece of crap van in your signature? :confused:

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

While I would ordinarily recommend killing the rodent, you have to keep your eye on the ball.

Most communities (city or county) have laws which would land you in jail for discharging a firearm.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Again, where is the accountability of letting the cat out of the house in the first place.

It is not the Opposums fault it is the cat owner.

You can't blame animals for their natural instincts.

DD

12. WWR

WWR Member

I see one problem with your problem.

You have evidently moved into a new neighborhood where those opossums lived before you lived there. YOU moved into THEIR territory! And you're mad they're killing your cat? You moved on top of them. What do you expect?

13. lpbman

lpbman Member

Um.... What does accountability have to do with nature? If you're going to bring up the natural order of things, blame, fault, guilt are completely meaningless. Those are man made themes. As far as nature/possum is concerned... it's wrong place, wrong time, end of life. And so it goes.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly my point.

It is just nature.....and if he didn't want his cat to be exposed, he should have done the responsible thing and kept the cat in his house.

DD

15. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Did you watch Desperate Housewives two Sundays ago?

One of the characters was trying to kill a possum that was destroying her garden.

16. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

only a handgun???!!! why not get a m4 rifle?...you live in a country that embraces gun ownership...it would be like if someone offered you a muffin or a cake...you should go for the grander option and buy a m4 to make the most of your privilege...

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Don't compound one problem with more problems..

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PztF3GWMO-M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PztF3GWMO-M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

18. Bandwagoner

Wild animal is in your yard. You have this yard so you can allow your pets to roam outside without bothering your neighbors. Now this yard is no longer safe for your pets.

Choices:
    1. Chalk up the yard as a loss and no longer functional.
    2. Rid your yard of the varmint.

19. Bandwagoner

Cool.

20. Bandwagoner

Why?

Do you want to hang out in my van or something?