1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hand gun

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Nov 11, 2007.

?

Would you kill this bast@rd rodent?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Yeah, just kill all of the animals and chop all the trees down because they all suck. :rolleyes:

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's highly unlikely a possum killed your cat -- more likely it was another cat or a dog.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Marsupial.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.

Second, with Possum you mean a Opossum? You are aware that that isn't a rodent, right? It is a marsupial.

Third, why are you so sure that it was a opossum who killed your cat, and it wasn't a dog. Since if you are talking about a opossum, than you are also aware that they react to danger to feign death, hardly a response which would lead to the death of your cat.

In africa people used to shoot the Fennic fox, because they thought it killed their cattle (if you know the diet of the fennic fox and how small they are you will understand how stupid this is).

So like i said it might be wise to first make sure it was the Opossum who killed your cat, before you start shooting. And even if it was the opossum I still oppose shooting it.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yes! It sucks here! Please, NEVER COME!!!

Tell all your friends that share your views how bad it is here. Also try to convince people here with similar views with yourself to come live there!

6. Bandwagoner

I've trapped a few. don't faint as easily as you would think. I have seen them fight my dogs many times.

TO THE OP:

Handgun = bad idea. IF you can actually see the thing and are dead set on shooting it, the best thing to get is a rifle. You can get a Remington 597 at academy for 169.99 and it comes with a scope. Buy some ammo go to the range and sight it in. Then nail that sucker.

Easiest thing by far is to buy a trap but then you have to shoot the sucker anyways and if its in a cage its a hard thing to do (could call animal control once its in the trap also, but they just release it like a few miles from your house) And traps are expensive and not fun. Your rifle will be an adventure learning how to use it, and target shooting its a huge hobby for a reason.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Of course they defend themselves if they are attacked. But if a animal attacks him, and it kills te attacker, who is to blame?

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

The person who lets their animal run around outside?

9. Bandwagoner

Not trying to talk about animal morals just disagreeing with your statement that:

"they react to danger to feign death"

I know this is true but I have never seen it in my many encounters with them.
    Even when I have had them in a cage they hiss and claw.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait a minute....how did the possum get into your house?

Because of course you would not be so irresponsible as to let your cats out of the house and roam the neighborhood freely, right?

DD

11. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Cats are nasty creatures. Especially the ones that people let **** in their houses. Long live Possums!

12. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

First off, BUD!? BUD!? I am against ANYONE who might call themselves Bud. Adams? Selig? If you're calling yourself Bud, the only thing you stand for is

FAILURE.

Second, your cat was killed because it egged on an opossum. Your cat died because you let it get out. It is not the opossum's fault; it was just reacting to the situation at hand. Take some personal responsibility and do your part. If we just killed everything that bugged us or got in our way...

Okay, well, things would pretty much be the same. But that's a BAD thing. The environment is a GOOD thing. :mad:

13. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

he should shoot them too.

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Buy a .22 pistol (assuming you want one) for fun. Twenty-two's are a great way to ease into shooting sports. They are a blast to shoot, they don't really kick, they don't make much noise, and the ammo is cheap. Gander Mountain here in Houston has 10% off most firearms (ends today).

Buy a trap for the Possum.

15. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Ya, I'm not against gun or anything, but trying to shoot a possums in a residential area just doesn't sound like a smart idea at all. Call the animal control or something, let the professionals deal with it.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You say you live near neighbors? Even if you are right to kill the opossums is it really safe to be shooting and guns off near neighbors where a miss might go into someone's backyard, or house, hit someone outside nearby?

17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

.22 rounds can carry over a mile. People who are suggesting this guy shoot a possum with a 22 in a neighborhood are nuts.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Virginia Opossums aren't Rodents. Rodents always have two large center teeth right next to each other that never stop growing for gnawing on things, which is why rats are always chewing on things.

[​IMG]

Opossums don't have those teeth.

[​IMG]

The Virginia Opossum is a marsupial, one of the few outside Australia. The variations outside australia are opossum. The only possums are found in Australia.

A squirrel is a rodent, an opossum is not.

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Hmm. It's very common to called them Possums. I have never heard a Texan call them Opussum.

Nobody says "playing opossum."

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The initial o is silent.