1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hampton deal imminent??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Elvis Costello

I don't see a $30 million being given back by Hampton, or covered by the Rockies, Buck. Even if this did happen, why invest even this much in Hampton? It's not like the Astros don't have other needs. You could get David Bell, Woody Williams and some more help in the bullpen for what Hampton would give you even under the most generous scenario. Hampton has been dogmeat for a year and a half at home and on the road. I don't see the fascination.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

word...

(did i just say that?)

3. Buck Turgidson

Oh, there's no fascination on this end.

If Colorado wants to deal him, they have to eat some of his salary, exactly how much is anybody's guess but I have seen $30M associated with the Florida deal. If (huge "if", I know) he'd also give the club control over the final year of the deal, his contract basically becomes 4-yrs, $55M. Hidalgo's deal has (iirc) 2-yrs, $22M left & you get that off the books, so the financial hit isn't huge. They could take a chance on Hampton, or keep Hidalgo & his wonderful attitude & clubhouse presence around & sign a couple more middle of the road FA types, like those you mentioned. Sadly, neither of those 2 options is very appealing.

I'm not sure it's a great move for the 'Stros, but it's worth looking into.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have lost all faith that Hidalgo will return to his previous form and be a player worth his money. Meanwhile, we have players like Orlando Merced who have done nothing but produce when given time, and we have guys like Jason Lane who have tremendous promise and should probably be given a look in the OF. With Hidalgo here, his contract alone just about dictates that he be in the lineup. If we do the trade Buck suggests, and Hampton still sucks, we will still have gained some maneuvering room for our other OFs who I think deserve a closer look. I do have faith that Hampton can return to at least a decent pitcher, if not a good one, so I am all for this deal.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Hampton to Florida trade did not work out. Interestingly enough, Hampton waived his no trade clause and agreed to the deal, however, Charles Johnson of the Marlins did not waive his no trade clause and the deal fell through.

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Looks like Hampton won't be staying there long.

Rosenthal: Marlins deal Hampton to Braves

That explains why Florida would trade for Hampton. It was just a way for them to dump 2 bad contracts in Johnson and Wilson.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, Hampy is a Brave, Glavine to be a Met? And Maddux a Yankee???

Perhaps Pettite a 'stro with Hidalgo to go?

9. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

what i don't get is why the Astros didn't pursue Hampton more if all they had to pick up was approx 30 million of his contract b/c that's all Atlanta is picking up. Both the Rockies and Marlins are picking up a good portion of the contract. if his salary was the sticking point, why did nothing happen with the astros?

10. Major

Major Member

what i don't get is why the Astros didn't pursue Hampton more if all they had to pick up was approx 30 million of his contract b/c that's all Atlanta is picking up. Both the Rockies and Marlins are picking up a good portion of the contract. if his salary was the sticking point, why did nothing happen with the astros?

Who would you propose we give up? The Rockies would much rather have Charles Johnson than Richard Hidalgo. We would have had to pick up salary and give up a good player (ie, not Hidalgo) to get the opportunity to take on $30 MM in salary and hope the guy is able to become the pitcher he used to be. Not worth it in any way, in my opinion.

11. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

did u see who the Braves gave up for Hampton?? A reliever and a prospect to be named!!! No big name players. Clearly the Marlins were just unloading the contract and the Braves basically picked him up for nothing. that astros could have done that too.

12. Major

Major Member

Spooneybarger is a cheap, young, and very good reliever. Would you have been willing to trade Dotel (the only comparable player we have -- yes, Dotel is better) for the chance to pay Hampton $30MM and still be stuck with Hidalgo? The only way were getting Hampton is if we could dump salary - and that meant dealing with Colorado directly.

13. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

I would have thought that clearing out Reynolds' salary would make Hampy affordable at $6 mil per year. At that price I think he is a better gamble than Woody Williams. Williams has been solid, but injury-prone, whereas I feel relatively convinced that Hampton's woes (like Kile's a few years back) were caused by Coors.

And I will be very surprised if Spooneybarger ever reaches the level Dotel's at right now. He's a solid middle reliever who impressed during his time this year, and might have been a closer candidate for Atlanta if Smoltz went back to the rotation. I'm guessing that's the role he'll play in Florida. It's a good deal for the Marlins, since they get a closer for cheap, but with the Astros' pitching prospects I think we could have made a similar offer.

Re: Hidalgo, maybe we could get the Yankees to take him if they don't sign Matsui. Hey, they were willing to sign Mondesi and Rondell White, so similar stupidity is not totally out of the question. :p

14. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

The Yankees don't take on players that play like total crap for 2 years in succession that often. Sorry.

Especially when he isn't as good as gimpy White, crappy Mondesi, or unproven Matsui

15. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The Yankees took on Robin Ventura, David Wells, and Raul Mondesi last year.

Define "that often".

16. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

2001 seasons of those 3 players-hurt *cut payroll with deal*, hurt *signed at small price*, played below average but was mainly acquired for defensive reasons

Hidalgo would do NOTHING (and I mean nothing at all that they don't already have, unlike the other 3) logical for the Yankees. Sorry.

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

My source(most of you know who that would be :) ) is telling me that Colorado may be on the verge of dealing Larry Walker to AZ. Not earth shattering since that has been widely reported. The difference in my news and the other news reports is that the deal would not include Matt Williams(he probably would not waive his no-trade clause anyway). The details are still being worked out but it would include David Delluci, Durazo and another player or 2 that have not been decided on yet. The D-Backs are also looking into possibly making an offer for Glavine. Rumor has it that Glavine's agent contacted them and said he would take a slightly smaller contract to play with The Unit and Schilling(who wouldn't).

18. Major

Major Member

Rumor has it that Glavine's agent contacted them and said he would take a slightly smaller contract to play with The Unit and Schilling(who wouldn't).

Geez. Johnson, Schilling, AND Glavine? Plus Larry Walker? Wow.

19. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is what I said. But they are gonna have to get Colorado to cover some of Walkers salary.I just don't see how they can afford all those additions without getting some salary relief. I think Glavine may only get a short term offer though, and they do get rid of the Jay Bell and Todd Stottlemyre contracts.

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

IRVING, Texas -- The Colorado Rockies put together their second big trade within a week, agreeing Tuesday to a tentative deal that would send Larry Walker to Arizona in a five-player trade in which the Diamondbacks would give up Matt Williams.

Tuesday, Nov. 19
    Williams has made his home in Phoenix, he has family and business interests there. He might not want to leave, which would cancel this trade. But he is intrigued, a source says, at the possibility of playing at Coors Field. He is signed through 2003, and wants to play beyond that, and might have a better chance to do so with the Rockies.

Walker is signed for three more years. He already has money deferred from his 2003 contract. The Diamondbacks need him to restructure his contract, meaning deferring money in '04 and '05. He might not want to do that, which would cancel this trade. But he might accept it because, logically, he has a better chance of getting to the playoffs with Arizona.

The Rockies would move him because he'll be 36 on Dec. 1, and they're trying to save money -- especially long term -- and build the team around Todd Helton. They've also come to the realization that the only way to acquire pitching is to trade for it -- free agent pitchers don't want to go there, not after Mike Hampton -- and they could get a pitcher or two for Durazo.

He is a first baseman. So is Helton. Durazo is a good enough athlete to play the outfield, but his mindset is this: I don't want to play the outfield, I shouldn't have to play the outfield. So the Rockies could possibly move him to an AL team (Boston? Oakland?) where he can play first and DH.

The teams have 72 hours to put this together. Williams has been contacted about this by D-Backs owner Jerry Coangelo. It could happen, it could fall apart.

My guess is it will happen.

Arizona also would send first baseman Erubiel Durazo, outfielder David Dellucci and reliever Bret Prinz to Colorado for the 1997 National League MVP.

Walker and Williams, both five-time All-Stars, must waive no-trade clauses for the deal to be completed. Diamondbacks owner Jerry Colangelo said the teams were granted a 72-hour window Tuesday to finalize the swap.

''I met with Matt this morning. I'm going to speak with Larry tonight,'' Colangelo said after arriving at the baseball owners' meetings. ''Colorado is going to meet with Matt tomorrow in Phoenix.''

Arizona, which won the World Series in its fourth season in 2001, won the NL West again this year but was swept by St. Louis in the first round of the playoffs.

The Rockies, who finished fourth in the NL West this year at 73-89, 25 games behind the Diamondbacks. Colorado chairman Jerry McMorris said it was difficult to part with Walker, an outfielder who has won three National League batting titles.

"He's our most popular player,'' McMorris said. "I think our baseball people felt we had a lot of holes and this gives us four players for one. And Larry's 36 years old.''

On Monday, the Rockies began they're transformation, completing a deal that sent left-hander Mike Hampton, outfielder Juan Pierre and $6.5 million to Florida for catcher Charles Johnson, outfielder Preston Wilson, left-hander Vic Darensbourg and second baseman Pablo Ozuna. The Marlins then dealt Hampton and $30 million to Atlanta for right-handers Tim Spooneybarger and Ryan Baker.

In the Hampton deal, Colorado rid itself of $72 million in Hampton's salary over the next six seasons but took on $54 million it must pay to Wilson and Johnson over the next three years.

Walker has said he is likely to waive his no-trade clause. Colangelo said he didn't know if Williams, who lives in the Phoenix area, would waive his no-trade clause.

''We're very sensitive to Matt's desires,'' he said.

Diamondbacks general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. already has spoken with Walker's agent, Pat Rooney, according to Colangelo.

Walker who turns 36 on Dec. 1, and Williams, who turns 37 on Nov. 28, both have been sidelined by injuries in recent years. Both also make big money.

Williams is owed $10 million next year, of which $5 million is deferred at 6 percent interest. Walker is owed $38.5 million -- salaries of $12.5 million in each of the next three seasons, plus a $1 million buyout of a $15 million mutual option for 2006. Both $6 million of his 2003 salary and the buyout will be deferred at 5.14 percent interest.

Williams, who has missed 292 games the past three seasons because of injuries, hit .260 this year with 12 homers and 40 RBI in 215 at-bats. He broke his left leg and dislocated the ankle on Feb. 25 and didn't return until July 11.

Craig Counsell, who is recovering from a neck injury, could become his replacement at third base.

Walker, a three-time NL batting champion, hit a team-high .338 this year with 26 homers and 104 RBI in 477 at-bats, and he has averaged 30 homers, 90 RBI and a .340 batting average in seven seasons with Colorado.