1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamilton's impact on Houston's rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets2012, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

We still have over 20 games to go. And the playoffs. Why stake out a position after so few games?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just curious is all. Assuming he plays slightly better than his career averages the rest of the way, what do you think he might get as a FA? I could see $3-$5 million.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I cannot disagree. Maybe at the upper range? A 17 PER is awesome, but his RAPM scores are abysmal. But much of that could be his teammates.

4. trugoy

trugoy Member

Not even close. this is not the old CBA. It really depends on what he does in the Playoffs, that will determine his play more than the regular season.

A great playoff run could get him $3m, under no circumstance would he ever get $5m, that's non-taxpayer MLE money.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A good take. His first two games with the Rockets were awesome. The average salary in the NBA is right around $5M. So much depends on his future performance. Can I just say that the salary (and even his roster spot) is very much up in the air right now?

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Even if we can't sign him in the offseason, a great run in the remaining games and playoff would give us an idea how difficult to find a Parsons replacement.

In limited minutes, his first year PER is similar to Parson's second year PER, and his second year PER is similar to Parson's third year PER. Other than the half season this year, he's 3 three years ahead of Parson's development curve(being 2 years younger).

I wouldn't worry about his RAMP too much, because RAPM formula tends to favor players with heavy minutes and veterans.

Note that his per minute number of steal/block/rebound are all better than Parsons, I think he's at least got more defensive potential. Also in the last 5 years(including college), he shoots better percentage from 3's.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

For the same reason Parson's became an immediate Mchale favorite..Ham is playing excellent defense...and making timely baskets...two games so far and two terrific showings...thank you Denver

8. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Denver's new management is way worse than their old GM.

9. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

It's funny to think that when we did the Brooks/Hamilton trade I was wondering who on Earth this guy was. Then spoke with my friend, who personally knows Hamilton and told me Hamilton would be a good fit for us. Two games in, those words have held true. It just seems like he's playing with a purpose. And with Lin struggling along with Casspi/Garcia, he's logging some of their minutes and making the most of it. Seems like he'll be solid even in the starting lineup, if Parsons/Harden get hurt, too. Great insurance.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

role player playing for a contract could be huge for us this season and playoffs.

11. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

Agreed. A nice addition to the team.

12. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b0UUR8M94DY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn! Nice find.

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Wow, his form is as smooth as anybody in the league...maybe Curry's release is a bit faster but Hamilton is much taller.

15. jjc1

jjc1 Member

So is he 6'7'' or 6'9"? ESPN listed him as 6'7" but he looks much taller than 6'7" on the court.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He's shooting a lot better than I thought. But he looks lost on D sometimes and looks like jeremy Lin when he drives

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Haha.....let's be careful about that comparison. We're talking about perhaps the best shooter in the history of the league.

18. vladyx92

vladyx92 Member

I find it easy to root for the guy. Knows his role, shoots (very!) well, forces a few turnovers with his length, plays physical man-to-man defense.

IF he can be a Delfino-type player in the playoffs (actually, scratch that, Delfino was outplayed by Garcia...though he played with a fracture in his foot), it could go a long way towards mutual benefit - Rockets go further in the playoffs and he'll get more $$$ as an Unrestricted Free Agent.

19. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

He will have next year to try out as a Parsons replacement.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

He does not play soft.

He does not make stupid decision

He does not complain much

He does not take much time of the clock

He does not think of him self as the next Magic J

He is not intimidated by the opposing players

He is basically does what we need with no drama like we were facing with different players on our roster