1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Half-Season Lineups' Stats – What worked for us, and what didn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Jabberwock, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

so you believe their can over time be a conclusion between inserting bev or Lin?

2. The Jabberwock

My thoughts on lineup stats:

In short: Like many things - they are basically very usefull and good, but only if used (and presented) properly.

I understand why you're against using lineup stats to draw conclusions about an individual player (like your TJ example). I totally agree that this is indeed a mis-use. You can't say any player "is balling" or "sucks" based on lineup stats!
    I was trying to avoid that in my thread (I'll even try harder now :)).

The valuable thing about lineup stats is they can tip you and give you a lead (if no more than that) on what works as a game plan, and more frequently - what doesn't...
    For example, it can give you an idea about how the team performed with Twin-Tower lineups, Small-ball formations, lineups with more 3PT shooters, ISO-focused lineups, etc.

Variables of opposition and schedule are indeed very important and may bias the data considerably. I'd like to think that, given a large enough Sample Size (Which is NOT the case for most of our lineups I show here), this shall be evened-out statistically.

I can see your point about the emphasis on Starters and Closers, and you're mostly right there too. However, examining the rest of the lineups is not a waste of time IMHO - It's a good way to judge if a lineup stands out as producing great performance, and should be considered as a candidate for the more significant parts (like closing games). How else would you test lineups?

I did my best to provide sample-size...:) I waited half a season, didn't I?

So I'm going to keep on with this thread, anyway.

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

sample size isnt even my biggest bug with lineups (and anyone who really says sample size is the biggest concern IMO is an idiot) its the fact that that lineups just generate false hope. my advice would be just keep it simple when explaining the graphs and try and not outsmart the graphs and make large calls.

4. The Jabberwock

Agreed. It's a deal!

5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Why in the world is the "D" lineup ( Lin in for Harden, with the other 4 staters) so bad on defense? You would think this is a time when they would be facing second units, no?

6. The Jabberwock

More stats - and now - an original one:

Pace

Pace is a very tricky stat, but an interesting one, nontheless.

The term may be misleading - It has nothing to do with how fast you run the court or move the ball. It measures only one single factor - the average length of possessions.
    The shorter the possession - the more possessions you get to play in a game (i.e. the faster the Pace of the game is).

The reasons possessions are cut short vary widely and go both ways - A possession can be quickly lost in a TO, or it can start and end in a few seconds with a great steal & fast-break. We can run a short offensive play in purpose to try and get even when we are trailing, or the other team may foul us (even hack us... :)) to stop the clock when we're ahead.

So if you think about it, it's obvious that a faster Pace in itself is neither "good" nor "bad". It all depends on how the players or lineups actually use their possessions... If their average possession yields a positive balance (i.e. they score more points then they allow in opponent's possessions), then a faster Pace is great - "the more (possessions), the merrier". If, on the other hand, each possession hurts our team, then of course we will benefit from a slower Pace...

The Pace is therefore quite literally a multiplier, a factor.

The reason I bring this stat here is because most of the stats posted in this thread were (/are/will be) calculated per 100 possessions, so for a specific lineup - having a high Pace factor would act as an amplifier for the lineup's other stats, whereas a low Pace would mitigate the effect of other stats.

OK then - Pace it is:

[​IMG]

Findings:

1. Variance is not that big but lineup C, with Lin, Harden, Parsons, Casspi and Howard stands out as having a much higher Pace than others.

2. Strange enough - our closer lineup does NOT have a faster Pace as I anticipated...
    Is it because our games do not tend to be close but either a blowout for us or against us?.. :rolleyes:

7. The Jabberwock

One more advanced stat (per 100 possessions) by lineups -
    The Impact Estimate (PIE)

(I will not add any comments as yet - not for llaziness but because I must get some sleep before the game tonight)

PIE

[​IMG]

8. The Jabberwock

I'm still gliding on that great win tonight (Blazers)... :grin:
    BTW: Almost none of these frequent lineups was used tonight (we had to change things following the injuries).
    Lineup C, that WAS used for some 5 minutes, was actually one of the few "bad" lineups of the night... :(

9. The Jabberwock

OK -

One last series of various stats for the 10 most frequent Rockets' lineups
    as recorded at half-season mark (41 games).

I remind you that stats are all from this part of stats.nba.com.

Since there was not much of a discussion (an understatement...:)) about the previous stats,
    I hereby bring all the rest of the measures at once, just to complete this data series.

Below you'll find the following stats' diagrams:
    • True Shooting (definition & formula on top of the diagram)
    • Rebound Percentage (explained in a sub-heading)
    • Assist Ratio (explained in a sub-heading)
    • Turnover Ratio (explained in a sub-heading)

[​IMG]

Some Findings:

1. The not-that-frequently-used lineup H (8th in minutes played, but still only used for 33 minutes...), featuring AB, Garcia, Parsons, Casspi and Howard, leads by a large margin in the 3 main categories - Shooting % (TS% of 63.3), Rebounding (REB% of 65.5) and Assisting (AST Ratio of 22.0).
    That would explain why this lineup ranked 1st in overall Offensive Rating.
    --[Alert! This lineup's stats may be less significant due to a smaller sample size]

2. Runners-up in the 3 categories were:
    In Shooting - Lineup A ("Start Bev") with 59.0% TS.
    In Rebounding - Lineup C ("Lin & Casspi join the starters") with 57.2% (a surprising one! Both Twin Towers lineups are also close behind of course).
    In Assisting - Lineup D ("Lin replaces injured Harden at the 2"), which is the expected suspect really - having 2 PGs.

3. Our least TO-prone lineup is by far team F, that also ranked #1 in Deffensive Rating as shown earlier - featuring Lin, Harden, Brewer, Jones and Howard, and used for a total of 55 minutes.
    This lineup only turned the ball over 11.1 times per 100 possessions

4. Our most TO-prone lineup is, not surprisingly, one of the 2 Twin-Tower lineups - E, the one with Lin.

5. Of the 2 most used lineups A & B (the ones that actually DO provide a substantial sample size, and also embody our "Start Bev" vs "Start Lin" versions respectively) - The P-Bev alternative has a slight lead in all the 4 measures.

10. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

A balanced assessment. This should be reposted in the direct comparison thread raised by site owner.

11. thejeremylins

thejeremylins Member

To expand on Clutch's excellent piece, here's a bump for the analysis by the Jabberwock on the various lineups involving JLin and PBev with friends.

Maybe the relative lack of comments on Jabberwock's analysis is due to its complexity. Well we've all finished 4th grade. We should be able to handle it.

That said, I want to see more Aaron Brooks. The lineups with this dude have a huge eff rating upside. But hey, I leave the stats for those with the time and ability for a thorough analysis.

Stats is not math. At best it is inference. At worst it is manipulation.

What I see with my eye is that everyone on our team except Parsons is playing inconsistently and below expectations. And Parsons is simply exceeding the minimal expectations on his rookie contract and nice guy attitude.

12. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Which is exactly the problem with with Clutch's article and analysis. The other factors aren't discussed.

13. Stats

Stats Member

I actually think this analysis is a bit superior to Clutch's article and analysis. True, line up analysis are missing some of that noise, but it's certainly more accurate than averaging everything into one big heap of +&- and making a conclusion.

For example, although Lin's numbers are on average inferior than Bev's. If you notice, the +- is significantly different if you trade Jones for Casspi (line up B and C). Unfortunately, Lin simply does not play with that line up very often, so the average is closer to line up B. Not sure why this is (pace issue?) but the picture looks much more ambiguous now than the certainty described by Clutch. So agree with Durvasa there.

14. The Jabberwock

Hi again.

I looked at data from last 2 games (Spurs and Mavericks). Data was only relevant to one of the 10 leading lineups - The "Hardenless" starting lineup, marked in this thread as lineup D.

Interesting to note that in both of those games (wins, mind you!) that starting lineup was the one used the most, but was really not one of the most successful lineups. It's +/- contribution was actually negative in both games.

SAS game main lineups
    (Sorted by number of minutes)

[​IMG]

DAL game main lineups

[​IMG]

15. The Jabberwock

I figured I might as well go back to the 2 previous games -
    the B2B losses to the Grizzlies:

In those 2 games it was our traditional starting lineup (A) that led in minutes.

The data is shown below.

MEM game 1 main lineups

[​IMG]

MEM game 2 main lineups

[​IMG]

(Spoiler - this lineup faired better, and was one of our better lineups in +/-)

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Brooks seems to be the common denominator for all the + lineups.

17. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

THIS. Also add to the fact that the starting lineup struggled at the beginning of the season including the time after Asik was removed from it.

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Having a financial/accounting background (MBA, CPA, CFP), I do enjoy the statistical analysis presented.

However, having played both basketball and football, I do understand that it takes more than putting the right statistical people toghther. Winning takes time and creating the right chemistry and culture.

As currently guided, I don't feel this team has the right chemistry among the players and the right coach to lead them. I wonder how a Phil Jackson, Pop, JVG, Hollins, etc... would lead this team. McHale with a clip board looks like a joke.

I would love to see the stats on the 94/95 back to back champs! After getting over the Clyde trade, I thought the team came together individually to deliver the last championship.

Lastly, what if one of the players who normally hurts the statstical analysis is having a great game, what do you do, bench him and put a player is off that night, but the stats tell you he should perform at this point in the game.

Analysis paralysis, when is enough enough?

19. The Jabberwock

Made the analysis for the Suns game too.

The data is shown below.

Suns game main lineups
    (7 lineups that were used over 3 minutes, sorted by number of minutes played)

Notes:
    At last!
    Our starting lineups A (Bev) & B (Lin) performed superbly - better than most others - in pretty much everything:
    Offensive and Defensive rating, PIE, shooting %, rebounding, assisting and TOs.

Howard-less lineups with 2 non-traditional bigs (D-Mo+Jones, Jones+Casspi)
    were the worst lineups in this game.

[​IMG]

20. Clarinetmonster

The lineup with Lin and starters had the highest net rtg for this game. Therefore I conclude...Lin must be the starter!!!:grin: