1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hakeen won't tutor Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tolne57, Jan 20, 2003.

1. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

From ESPN.COM:
    <<Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich has extended a formal invitation to Hakeem Olajuwon to visit practice for some one-on-one tutoring/sparring with Yao Ming. Dream, though, has resisted so far, citing the fact that he remains on the roster of the Toronto Raptors.

Insurance is covering 80 percent of Olajuwon's $5.7 million salary but the Raptors haven't ruled out throwing Dream's contract into a trade. Because the deal expires after next season, and because insurance covers that 80 percent as a result of Dream's career-ending back injury, someone out there might be willing to accept the contract if Toronto is willing to take on a longer contract in return.>>

I don' t really know the in's and out of contracts and trades and all those rules. Does this means that Hakeem would be in violation of some rule if he tutors Yao?

2. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Full Story. I somehow managed to royally screw up the previous one:

Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich has extended a formal invitation to Hakeem Olajuwon to visit practice for some one-on-one tutoring/sparring with Yao Ming. Dream, though, has resisted so far, citing the fact that he remains on the roster of the Toronto Raptors.

Insurance is covering 80 percent of Olajuwon's $5.7 million salary but the Raptors haven't ruled out throwing Dream's contract into a trade. Because the deal expires after next season, and because insurance covers that 80 percent as a result of Dream's career-ending back injury, someone out there might be willing to accept the contract if Toronto is willing to take on a longer contract in return.

3. franchise?..NOT

So send Taylor to the Raps for deama and Chris Jefferies or some other prospect. A geat deal if you ask me. Addition by subtraction and an ending contract two years early.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I like the concept.

TMo and Jason could back up Eddie.

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

As long as Dream doesn't get paid by the Rockets to tutor Yao there should be no problem.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I am certain it would be illegal 'in season'. It would smell, frankly.

If it is a good idea then Rudy should acquire Hakeem, and MoT for him as part of a salary equating deal sounds good.

If Rox did do this could they get an injury exception for The Dream?

7. Sane

Sane Member

MoT for Dream's contract? I don't know. I'd have to be pretty sure we can pickup someone to play backup PF.

I doubt they would though. They won't make the playoffs, and cap space is a much better option when your star's career may be over.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who? Raps or Rox?

Raps need players, lots of healthy players. Raps probably need to package the huge AD contract for younger bodies.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Who is Hakeen? Who is Deama?

:confused:

10. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

.....lol....this was talked about before. But Yao can never be like Hakeem. I would like Alonzo Mourning or Moses Malone or Rik Smits to come and tutor him.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Honestly I would much rather have Kareem or Bill Walton or Sabonis or Robert Parrish (or maybe even Charles Barkley) provide some private tutoring to Yao. Hakeem's game was based on unparalelled coordination and quickness for a guy with his strength and height--it wasn't based on things perhaps more teachable like savvy, leverage/body positioning, or a sublime understanding of the game/floor spacing.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Lets get this straight Hakeem is not a good communicator! Malone is a mind unto himself. That leaves Jabbar, Sampson and Walton. These three would have the best feel for the way Yao Ming plays,besides Hakeem and Moses were power athletes, quite a different way of playing.

13. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Rick Smits??!:confused: :confused:
    Dont we want Yao to become better than Rik Smits. That would be like playing DOWN to the competition. Hakeem would be a good teacher to Yao, in regard to defense and post up moves.

14. TDUBB

TDUBB Member

Imagine Kareem teaching Yao him the sky hook... :eek:

15. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'd love to see Ralph Sampson teach Yao Ming.

No, I'd like to see BILL WALTON teach Yao Ming :)

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Bill Walton would have to get off Yao's sack first....(not that there's anything wrong with that). ;)

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Calling Spud Webb..:p

18. franchise?..NOT

Not to mention footwork, INDIVIDUAL defense, passing from the post and insights into playing individuals, (Shaq) and types of players and defensive schemes. He learned from Malone, he can teach Yao. Practicing and picking the brain of one of the top centers of all time is good. No matter which one. Hakeem can teach this guy alot.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What about the Admiral? David and Ming can throw a tea party after every practice.

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Bill Walton had a great finesse - passing game. It would be similar to how Yao may develop. I know Walton is an idiot commentator, but he is a "rainman" like big man- this would work if Walton was willing. Walton would probably tutor Yao - that Zen like -stoner - Grateful Dead mentality is generous by nature.